• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

APSN 002 on Norge and security code

crownryal

Just got it firing!
Hi all, I’m new to the forum and to guzzis, but I’ve been perusing all the threads prior to and since picking up a 2008 Norge with a no start condition. At present, the bike has no signs of life outside of a partially lit dash that initially displays code APSN 002 and then asks for the security code. I tried all manner of codes with no luck and even tried the service code. The dash lights up, but I don’t see how to get to the service menu to access the diagnostics. I was hoping to recode the keys and have her fired up. The battery is brand new and fully charged and the lights and fuel pump seem to work, but no crank and no start no matter what. I also don’t see a neutral light. The bike hasn’t run since 2012, so I’ll be going through all connections to clean and grease. Does anyone have any experience with the APSN 002 code?

SEARCH function is your friend. Always do a search before starting a new topic. Most every topic you can think of has already been answered.

I’m sure you are sure but If I had a nickle for every time somebody wrote that a battery was new, (but it really wasn’t) I’d have a $100 in nickles.

What you are describing is directly related to electrical power.

You should also SEARCH for MPH Hard Start Relay. This is an absolute must do for the bikes from this period.

I am doing a dash repair (recover the code) for my 2007 Norge through Carmo in the Netherlands, (also a SEARCH) and you may be doing it too soon it seems.

You can remove the dashboard easily and try and start the bike with the dash removed. When you disengage the dash from the motorcycle, it removes the ignition interlock completely. Not practical for riding but very practical for testing.

1. Remove windshield by removing 4 screws securing it. Gently lift windshield off of the mounting posts.

830B8462 4EA1 4CD8 94C9 D97C013EEA3C

2. Remove screws from front black cover plate to expose windshield mechanism.

3. Disconnect ABS switch in left side of black dash trim by looking up under left side of fairing and removing connector.

18C99243 04BC 4FDE 9977 E1E50B7E4254

4. Remove screws from black dash trim visible from the side as if you were sitting on the bike. Do not attempt to remove black trim plate with dash mounted in it yet!

1632DF49 6C33 47FE 8A61 C45FF8FEFDBA

5. Gently pry open space at top of dash to view locking connector at the backside of the dash.

EB086683 2803 4663 9759 A5EC0BB2CAC9

6. You must press that locking grey button on the connector and lift up the black lever which releases the connector. I have huge hands and I was able to wiggle my hand down there and use my fingertips to unlock the cable. DO NOT FORCE OR USE MUSCLE OF ANY KIND HERE!!!! The pins in the connector are super tiny and very fragile. It should easily come apart!

78775B1B 8508 4A47 B6E9 43A1D81197DB

EF4304CE 33A9 477B 9967 3DBA5AFE9EE3

7. When the cable is fully removed from the back of the dash, you can gently remove the entire black dash trim panel and dash as a unit. Go slow, gentle, and one side at a time.

BB2C5563 518D 4A9D A0BD 4EC07E408F30

C864D275 4B6B 4AEC 81F3 456CEA36B563

7191022C BBD7 411F 8F15 D73121E6893E
61F949CA D70D 484E 89BD 7AB0916067A9

My dashboard is removed here ( 3 screws) because I packed it for shipment to Carmo.

8. With the dash removed, insert your key, turn on, wait 5 seconds and try and start the bike. Odds are, she cranks right over and starts.

Please report back here with the results.

Attachments

• 2C56161B-00CE-4407-9AF1-55EC05CC62DB.jpeg
    2C56161B-00CE-4407-9AF1-55EC05CC62DB.jpeg
    68.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 4476FF2F-66BB-4B67-AB2A-24F93FB854DF.jpeg
    4476FF2F-66BB-4B67-AB2A-24F93FB854DF.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
All I can say is..WOW. I’ve been a Ducati, MV, and Triumph guy for 30 years and have been on a corresponding amount of forums, but never received such a thorough response in such a short amount of time. I did spec out the battery and it’s squared away, but the wiring is brutally corroded. I started in on isolating different connectors last night, but didn’t think about pulling the dash to try and start it. Many thanks and I’ll make sure to update when I get the dash yanked. I’m sure it’s roached. The bike has less than 6k miles, but looks like it covered the last thousand at the bottom of the Mediterranean

Thank you.

I have invested a great deal of time and energy here, providing various information and “How To” guides at GuzziTech.

It’s always a joy and pleasure to have a person acknowledge and express gratitude for help. You are most welcome!

Feel free to Private Message me if you need more help. I’ll give you my phone number to call if you need it.

Luckily, your timing happened to be perfect as I just took those photos yesterday as part of my “How To” guide for removing the dash and sending it to Carmo in Holland (The Netherlands) for repair.

945DF9DF 7F26 42D5 A9CC 736BFDF4C1D6

99DF2DBA BAB4 45D2 B6CC 52B8F3933482

Your instructions were spot on. I was able to wriggle a long screwdriver behind the dash to depress the tab on the locking mechanism to help disengage the harness from the dash. I pulled the plugs, threw her on top gear and spun the rear wheel a few revolutions after soaking the cylinders with penetrating oil. I hooked up the battery and was able to engage the starter relay, but was met with a loud click and no spins of the engine. I bypassed the relay and it kicked over and had good compression, as well as spark…and I’m certain decade old fuel is the issue now. It wouldn’t fire, but did turn over and spin freely. I’m going to drain the tank, search the MPH harness mod, and figure out how much the code recovery runs. I’ll definitely shoot you a a PM for further info. Thanks again

As of ten minutes ago, she was up and running. The gas is suspect, but enough to get it fired up and idling. I plugged in the dash while it was running and it immediately shut down and showed the same code. I’ll be looking for a replacement dash or trying the carmo repair to get things dialed in. Thanks again for the very concise advice

Thank You Very Much!

You are most welcome!

No Peter. It’s from Harbor Freight Tools.

It’s their version of Pelican cases. Very high quality at very cheap prices.

Given that this dash is worth its weight in enriched plutonium, and just as rare, it seemed a very practical and prudent shipping container given the “attentive care” package movers exhibit in their jobs nowadays, for the trip to Holland and back to the USA. 😆😆😆

92770D59 7A95 40A8 B2F8 D62396B888A8

0BEB4EA9 8AA7 4F96 A783 421BF763F0E0

Back