• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Arai RX-Q vs. Shoei RF-1100?

Both are excellent helmets. I recommend going to a shop that stocks them to actually try them on. Ari makes different head shapes which I like so you have to get the shape correct for your head. That said, the RQ-X may or may not be the correct head shape, but they will make one that fits well. Also the Arai can be fitted by using different size cheek pads. To get the correct size, I usually remove the cheek pads and go for a snug fit on the rest of the helmet, then get the correct cheek pads. I don't know how the Shoei accommodates shapes and sizes. Personally I go for the lightest weight with best fit. I'd say the construction quality of Arai and Shoei helmets are on par with each other. Hopefully more will post.

My current helmet is Arai RX7-RRV (Corsair V?), last helmet was RX7-RRIV (use it for 5 years).

I always wanted to try Shoei but unfortunately I have an Arai head. I can wear Arai for hours comfortably but 10 minutes in Shoei in the helmet store will give me a headache.

IMHO, if a helmet doesn’t fit your head you can forget about it and move on to another.

Phang

I echo what John said.
It is not a case of better or worse between those two options. Both are high quality helmets. It comes down to which fits your head better and, as mentioned, Arai makes different shape helmets. If the RX-Q does not fit your head right another model likely will.
I personally prefer Arai. To me they are the top helmet on the market. The build quality as well as the design and fit/finish is top notch. That said, they do not cater to the gimicky side of the market. No flip down tinted visors ala Scorpion or Caberg. I wish they did pick up on some of that and hopefully they will because their pin-lock system is nowhere as nice as the flip down visor others offer. Some gimicks actually work well.
But the fit and feel of the Arai for me is perfect. But you should try them both and see which you prefer. Leave them on for as long as possible to make it a better test. Some times you find pressure points after 20 or 30 minutes that aren't apparent right away.

I have the RF-1100 (called XR-1100 in Australia) - cannot fault it.

It retails for US$730 here and we need an Australian standards sticker on the back of it here for it to be road legal so cannot buy them cheaper oversaeas.

It comes with a chin curtain and I added the Whisper Strip option which cut down the noise on an already very quiet helmet. The Pinlock system means it has never fogged up and most days have the reactive lens pinlock (Protectint) in - that goes from clear at night to a medium tint during the day. Changing out to the dark smoke pinlock takes about a minute for day only riding.

Maintenance wise, it started to get a bit of a whistle around the visor after about a year of nearly daily use but recentering two screws on either side of the visor made it like new.

The Arai did not fit my head at all. Sounds like it comes down to a question of phrenology and then what graphics you like better.

Phang said:
...I can wear Arai for hours comfortably but 10 minutes in Shoei in the helmet store will give me a headache.
Hey Phang,
where on your head does a Shoei helmet cause a hot/pressure spot? Is it on the sides toward the top?

hot_spots.jpg

I'm asking because I've just tried a Shoei RF-1100 at a store, and after 10-15 minutes I started feeling a hot spot in that region - unfortunately, they did not have Arai helmets in stock, so I could not make a direct comparison.
My head is roundish in shape.
Thanks,
Greyo

I recently had the bucks to splurge on an expensive helmet and my first thought was a Shoei so i checked out a few larger accesory outlets that were full of sales people who just wanted to sell a helmet :roll:, and i was a bit confused with choice.

I then stumbled across a little shop called Highside Leathers owned by a chatty fellow who it seemed knew what he was talking about and who loathed the larger acessory outlets with a passion. He had both Arai and Shoei in stock, so i tried both on. Both fitted but the Arai felt a little more comfy. I was strongly advised to buy the Arai and when i questioned why he started pulling both helmets apart and showing me how they were made and the quality of the padding. He summed it up by stating that Shoei are made largely for and to suit the US market and standards while the Arai is made for and to suit the tougher European market.

I bought the Arai Italia, the best helmet i have ever owned.

Greyo,

The Shoei (X-11 to be exact) which I’ve tried 6 years ago gave the pressure point to my head exactly at where the thunderbolts pointing :mrgreen: and I think I have a round shape skull too.

Both Arai RRIV and RRV are noisy helmets, ear plugs are a must on long distance trip.

Phang

Are you all familiar with the UK helmet testing website: http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

The Shoei XR-1100 (RF-1100) gets 5 stars for impact protection.

There are a few Arai on there but not sure what the RX-Q is called in the UK if it is sold there.

Greyo said:
Your RRV looks like this, right?

Thanks.

Not exactly, it is silver in colour :mrgreen:

Yes, that's the one. Here's what I posted a while ago.

Phang said:
I replaced mine every 5 years.

I sold my 5 years old/50,000km/31,250miles Arai RX-7 RR4 for one third of its original purchase price. Yes, riders do buy used helmet here and I used the money with some topping up to buy a new RR5 with the same colour.

Don't they look the same ;)

PDSCN6700.jpg

PDSCN6708.jpg

The top one is an Arai RX-7 RR4 pic taken AFTER 5 years/50,000km/31,250miles of use.

Bottom pic is a brand new Arai RX-7 RR5

Phang

Phang said:
Don't they look the same ;)

In my opinion, this is an issue with Arais : They have not really evolved much over the last decade.
They are still top-notch yeap, but maybe you can find their quality at lesser prices in other firms.
Shoei on the other hand is constantly evolving slowly year model after model and they are good but they somehow lack this "plushy" luxury feeling you get from a new Arai.
Of course a nice tight Shoei head won't fit well in an Arai and vice-versa which the top priority after all!
Here, the Arai helmets sell up to 30% more expensive to similar Shoei ones and spare parts can cost up to double price.
Friends have been complaining of finishing details and rubber seals wearing away too fast on their Arai.
My, I am very happy from my flip-up Shoei except the wind noise which is clearly an aerodynamic design flaw.

I agree with what most people are saying - try them on as they fit differently. An RF1100 fits me wonderfully whereas my lips are pressed up against the helmet on the RXQ.

That said you should really take a look at the Bell Star (new version) and also AGV - terrific helmets.

I also just picked up a Schuberth; I have to say it's one of my favorite helmets ever.

Back