• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Audace dylema

Andrew83

Just got it firing!
Hello All
I'm new here and this is my first post so please be kind!

First of all hello All :)

Recently I bought a lovely Audace and I'm super happy with the it. It's my first Moto Guzzi .
So far my motorcycle history includeed BMW R1100s Triumph Daytona 955i and a Suzuki GSXR 1000. I like my oddball engine configurations.

But to the point as I said I'm super happy with my new bike but there is one thing that I want to /need to improve . I don't like the looks of the chrome finish of the front forks plus they look to thin to me compered to the rest of the front end of the bike. I much prefer the look of the forks on Cali Touring Costom or MGX-21 .
Will the front fork covers from thouse models will fit my Audace? I checked it's 4 elements but the problem is on the service manual the part numbers of the fork legs on the Audace is difrant to the other models . So my local dealer is not sure if the covers will fit my bike .. .

So anyone here have any ideas? are the forks the same on all the Cali 1400 models? Or do they differ in size ?

Thank You Andrew

Hello All
I'm new here and this is my first post so please be kind!

First of all hello All :)

Recently I bought a lovely Audace and I'm super happy with the it. It's my first Moto Guzzi .
So far my motorcycle history includeed BMW R1100s Triumph Daytona 955i and a Suzuki GSXR 1000. I like my oddball engine configurations.

But to the point as I said I'm super happy with my new bike but there is one thing that I want to /need to improve . I don't like the looks of the chrome finish of the front forks plus they look to thin to me compered to the rest of the front end of the bike. I much prefer the look of the forks on Cali Touring Costom or MGX-21 .
Will the front fork covers from thouse models will fit my Audace? I checked it's 4 elements but the problem is on the service manual the part numbers of the fork legs on the Audace is difrant to the other models . So my local dealer is not sure if the covers will fit my bike .. .

So anyone here have any ideas? are the forks the same on all the Cali 1400 models? Or do they differ in size ?

Thank You Andrew

Yes, I had the same opinion of the look of the bike compared to the California Customs, and proceeded to make a leap of faith and buy the parts needed.

The forks between the two models are different. Apparently the original California Touring and Customs had 46mm forks, while the Audace has 45mm. I believe Moto Guzzi did this because they kicked the rake out a smidge to improve low-speed handling (slightly less trail), but I think they kept the triple trees the same (just machined a little different).

Surprisingly, the bottom tubes on the Audace are actually larger in diameter than the Custom or Touring. This might be related to the paint or powder coating, or it may be yet another running improvement to address something else...

Nonetheless, all the parts DO fit :)...but the o-rings which prevent movement of the upper fork protectors are a little big (loose on the upper fork tube), so when you put it all together(top triple clamp) you have to make sure they don't get squeezed out of position.

Adding these parts also means that your front turn signal mounts don't fit anymore, so you'll have to modify or create different ones. I chose the latter, and I'm pleased with the result. Maybe we can get Todd to machine these if there is enough demand :)

Lastly, since the front turn signal mounts had to be modified, I no longer have that throttle cable guide/support installed. I've ridden a couple hundred test miles so far, and I haven't encountered any unexpected throttle commands (due to vibration or road disturbances (bumps). I'm not sure if this will reduce the lifespan of these cables, but they seem stout as-is, and will just monitor them going forward...as well as the overall fitment (since I don't purposefully try to flex the front end with emergency stops or finding potholes to run over :) ).

I can try to share pics if you'd like or if there is anyone else interested...

Yes, I had the same opinion of the look of the bike compared to the California Customs, and proceeded to make a leap of faith and buy the parts needed.

The forks between the two models are different. Apparently the original California Touring and Customs had 46mm forks, while the Audace has 45mm. I believe Moto Guzzi did this because they kicked the rake out a smidge to improve low-speed handling (slightly less trail), but I think they kept the triple trees the same (just machined a little different).

Surprisingly, the bottom tubes on the Audace are actually larger in diameter than the Custom or Touring. This might be related to the paint or powder coating, or it may be yet another running improvement to address something else...

Nonetheless, all the parts DO fit :)...but the o-rings which prevent movement of the upper fork protectors are a little big (loose on the upper fork tube), so when you put it all together(top triple clamp) you have to make sure they don't get squeezed out of position.

Adding these parts also means that your front turn signal mounts don't fit anymore, so you'll have to modify or create different ones. I chose the latter, and I'm pleased with the result. Maybe we can get Todd to machine these if there is enough demand :)

Lastly, since the front turn signal mounts had to be modified, I no longer have that throttle cable guide/support installed. I've ridden a couple hundred test miles so far, and I haven't encountered any unexpected throttle commands (due to vibration or road disturbances (bumps). I'm not sure if this will reduce the lifespan of these cables, but they seem stout as-is, and will just monitor them going forward...as well as the overall fitment (since I don't purposefully try to flex the front end with emergency stops or finding potholes to run over :) ).

If You can send some photos that would be fantastic!

The pictures also show that I have mounted a California Custom front fender (not painted yet), along with a handlebar combination with a better angle for my wrists (Thanks for the parts info Todd!). I love the way this looks...it's still a work in progress. I'll upload more pictures as I continue to make this my own... :)

I was thinking about getting the new 2018 handlebars for my (my bike is 2016 model) Audace cause they are more swept towards the rider.

Yes, I considered that, too. It would've been simpler:D, but I actually like the bars lower than the 2018 model provides...

My set up is the lowest I can get it so that it doesn't foul the tank at full right steering lock...I think it looks bitchin and it is comfortable for me:cool:

I had a look at the v9 bobber and I think it's indicators are attach to the head light bolts so I might use thouse after my conversation :)

Nice Job, I just picked up an Audace and agree that the chrome forks look kind of skinny when compared to the overall beefiness of the bike.

I might look into doing the same thing. Thanks for posting your write up.

Attachments

• IMG_20200717_142811983_BURST001.jpg
    IMG_20200717_142811983_BURST001.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20200717_145348578.jpg
    IMG_20200717_145348578.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 52

Could you possibly list the part #'s of everything needed to make this conversion and the approximate cost? Thanks!

Back