Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - we've been proud to harbor such wonderful Guzzisti camaraderie since 2005, for FREE. Times have changed, and so have the attitudes and expectations of far too many. Starting Jan 1, 2020, we will likely be shifting to a paid to participate format. You will still be able to read for free. This should alleviate all of the negativity that the free social media channels have created. If you are a donor or customer of ours, you're in, just use the Contact tab above if your account is not already promoted, or you can Upgrade your account once signed in. Or the Donate tab above is another option. We look forward to continuing this service to the Guzzi community, but it is not cheap or easy to host and maintain. We wish you the best for the Holidays and in the New Year.

Audace seat

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by Max Aerts, Oct 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Max Aerts

Max Aerts Just got it firing!

Hello Everyone
    I’m a happy owner of a red Audace
    I love it but its ergonomy isn’t the best for me so I went through few adjustments :
    - installing the bars of the Audace Carbon : compatible but need to pierce holes for the commands as there is a difference between old and new ones
    - installing the sport screen of the custom: a bit of work as it is required to create a support to attach the screen somewhere (under the instruments for me and keeping in addition the standard screen brackets). I can post pictures in case someone is interested

Now comes the question of the seat
    I do not find a maker who produces a replacement seat. Pity
    I’m then looking at the sisters of the Audace
    I have read somewhere that the double (comfort) seat of the custom/touring cannot be installed because if the different side panels. This seems a bit odd to me but maybe... Anyone tried?

What about the MGX-21?
    I see the optional carbon side panels (ref 2S000696) are compatible with the Audace
    First question: has someone tried to install them on an audace?
    Second question: if these side panels are similar/compatible, I wonder if the MGX driver seat is compatible with the Audace
    Has someone an idea ?

Many thx in advance

2. James Chance

James Chance Cruisin' Guzzisti

Haven't seen that about the Custom/Touring seats. Can you remember where? I have 2014 Custom seat for sale, and would like to know if it would work on the Audace...

Jim

3. jbhotchkiss

jbhotchkiss Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

About the seat - I bought the Audace comfort seat because I want a solo seat for my Custom. But there is a sizable gap between the side panels and the Audace seat (Audace seat is narrower than the Custom seat), so it is currently for sale. I'll probably just have the stock seat modified. Too bad, though - that Audace comfort seat is very nice.
    The Custom seat is wider than the Audace seat, so it probably is wider than the side panels and looks goofy.

4. Mrmerlin

Mrmerlin Tuned and Synch'ed

FWIW I fit the driver comfort seat from the MGX 21 onto my Eldorado the rear bolster is about an inch shorter but otherwise its quite similar, the foam in the comfort seat is also more dense so it offers a stiffer seating area that means for me its more comfortable.
    The stock Eldo seat has foam that rwally soft and it makes for a spongy ride
    I am still looking for a Corbin seat and heard that Corbin now makes a solo seat for the MGX21 if this is true then this Corbin seat could be a drop on fit for the Eldorado.

5. zacreybnt

zacreybnt Just got it firing! GT Famiglia

This the seat that Corbin did for my MGX.. Even has heat.

IMG_0615.JPG

Meldrew likes this.
  6. Mrmerlin

Mrmerlin Tuned and Synch'ed

Thats a nice how much?
    did you have to send them your ol;d seat or just order this one?
    Did you take them the/ your bike?

7. zacreybnt

zacreybnt Just got it firing! GT Famiglia

I actually took the bike to the factory in Hollister CA. The crew there had it for a few weeks. (Close to the holidays). Since it was the first MGX they had experienced they did not charge me a dime. Plus got to BS with Mike Corbin himself. But I did purchase a seat for my Griso while there and it is excellent also.

8. Max Aerts

Max Aerts Just got it firing!

So here is the full story !
    I´ve just bought a touring comfort seat and here is the difference between the Audace one (right) and the touring one (left with the white sticker)
    The big difference comes from the rubber mounts on the front (well not the ones close to the tank, but the row behind): they are wider positionned + a bit more on the rear compared to the Audace
    Actually the touring second row rubbers sit diectly on the frame (see pic)
    The ones of the Audace sit on small additional support (see pic + see the yellow mark which is where the touring one sit)
    The side panels of the Audace come over the frame tube (see pic), so the touring seat cannot be installed on the Audace directly
    But ... I've cut the plastic support of the second row rubbers of the touring seat + installed standard door stoppers (20mm diameter / 30 mm height) and now it fits perfectly !
    Look at the pictures and tell me what you think. I now have two seats that are completely interchangeable and my wife is now happy ! what else ?

IMG_5880.JPG IMG_5881.JPG IMG_5883.JPG IMG_5868.JPG IMG_5885.JPG IMG_5886.JPG IMG_5888.JPG

John L likes this.
  9. Rickhinnz

Rickhinnz Tuned and Synch'ed

Nothing wrong with that.

I went the other way and fitted the single Audace seat to a Custom.
    Required making new side panels up to fill the gap and support plates for the front rubber mounts

10. MikeT68

MikeT68 Just got it firing!

I tried to test fit a seat from an MGX-21 onto my 2016 Audace at my dealer and the seat would not fit. The taper on the front of the seat from the MGX-21 is narrower than the Audace seat. That was really disappointing since Corbin is now offering a solo seat for the MGX-21, I had hoped to order one of those. I am now thinking of sending my seat off to Russell. Please post if you come across another option for a direct replacement.

Guzzi1400AUS likes this.