• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Avons after 9000+ miles...

roadventure

GT Reference
In another post I had reported on my California after an 8000 mile ride. Here is how the tires worked out.

I had mounted OEM size AVON Cobra tires at about 5300 miles on the odometer. The OEM Dunlop D251 tires have really poor wear and were very done. As with any new tire the bike felt great after mounting the AVONS. I had run to about 6700 miles with the AVON tires before leaving on a three week ride across the U.S. and back home again. I was riding solo with both saddlebags and the trunk loaded.

So, the AVONS had about 1400 miles on them from local riding when I left home with very little wear showing. After arriving home with ~14700 miles showing on the odometer the rear AVON has a very definite flat area from many miles of straight, flat, HOT pavement. This is completely expected. I estimate I could ride about another thousand miles on it before it would become unsafe to ride on. The front tire still looks good with little wear showing and no cupping yet.

I will replace the rear tire with another AVON Cobra as they seem to be able to provide a reasonable mileage of about 10,000 miles. The front tire will remain in place for the time being in hopes that I can get another 5000 miles on it before needing replacement.

I would recommend changing the front when you change the rear. You may find you don't get the handling you should with one new tire and one worn tire. I also suspect the front wouldn't last as ling as you estimate.

Thanks for the update on the Avon Cobras.
With only about 1K on my Cobras I can feel a much better groove (and ride) on my line without any rideout on any road imperfection, weather they be road cracks, splits, metal grates etc, these things stick like glue. Hoping for 10K but since they must be made of a softer rubber that 'sticks' better than the OEM Dunlops, I wonder....

That's good news with regards to mileage on the Avons.

I too found the OEM Dunlops unsatisfactory. In my case, I replaced them (with Avons) before they were done primarily because of road noise.

In reading the numerous tire threads, I've noticed a reoccurring theme with regards to tire mileage. There seems, in many cases, to be more concern over tire life than say, performance in various conditions, or as I experienced, excessive nose (and mediocre handling).

As there is very little that stands between us and disaster but a couple of small contact patches on any given day, I am puzzled as to why someone would choose to run with less than optimal tires. Is there a threshold that I'm missing whereby say 50% better tire mileage more than offsets a tire's mediocre ability to manage rain, grooves, or handling?

Maybe I've been riding too long, but to me, now more than ever, we need every advantage we can get. Given the new Pokemon GO threat, our world just became a little less safe.

If you like your tire choice (Dunlop, Bridgestone, Avon, etc) that's great. However if you like them primarily because of their mileage potential rather than their performance potential, I'd like to better understand that reasoning.

I look for a good balance between capability & mileage.

I believe tires to be a very subjective thing & I am also amazed at how different mileage & other folks experience can be.

I have always found Dunlops to be an acceptable tire. When I had the Cali1400 I was getting 10,000 out of a rear & I am not an easy rider. On my Vic Tour I am still getting around 10,000 on the OE Dunlops but many Vic riders have a long list of complaints.

Recently on the Vic forum a couple of people have gone nose to nose on Shinko's. The fellow who did not like them complained mostly about wet weather handling & mileage. The fellow who liked them has posted video's of him riding in the rain on twisty mountain roads and is claiming close to 10,000 miles. Both riders have Vic Tour bikes but totally different experiences.

I'm now on my third set of tires on the 1400, and the second set of Avon Cobras. I love the feel of the Avons, smooth quiet and predictable. I would like to know just how y'all are getting 6000 miles+ out of any tire on the 1400. The factories were trashed at 4100 miles, and the first set of Avons was shot at about 5500. I do ride two up much of the time but she and I together are under 325 lbs and we don't pack the bags heavy. The chip seal roads in TX don't help I'm sure, but only half the mileage that some of you are getting??? What's the secret?

Touringman, my experience matches yours. I ride mostly two up, loaded weight is similar, loved the OEM Dunlops, but gone within 7,500km, replacement Bridgestone Exedra was shot within 8,500km, current Dunlop D407 (dual compound) is holding up much better and feels secure. Looks like it will go at least double the distance. No issues so far with grip in the wet etc.

Stephen

Thanks for the update on the Avon Cobras.
With only about 1K on my Cobras I can feel a much better groove (and ride) on my line without any rideout on any road imperfection, weather they be road cracks, splits, metal grates etc, these things stick like glue. Hoping for 10K but since they must be made of a softer rubber that 'sticks' better than the OEM Dunlops, I wonder....

Based on real experience, the OEM Dunlop D251 tires must be softer since they lasted half as long as the Avon Cobra.

I'm now on my third set of tires on the 1400, and the second set of Avon Cobras. I love the feel of the Avons, smooth quiet and predictable. I would like to know just how y'all are getting 6000 miles+ out of any tire on the 1400. The factories were trashed at 4100 miles, and the first set of Avons was shot at about 5500. I do ride two up much of the time but she and I together are under 325 lbs and we don't pack the bags heavy. The chip seal roads in TX don't help I'm sure, but only half the mileage that some of you are getting??? What's the secret?

Stop riding in Texas? ;-)

Nice to hear the quality reports of the Avons. They are underrated, I used them on my last Guzzi with total satisfaction. On this one, I scrapped the OEM Dunlops with 5k miles on the clock, perhaps w/another 1K I could have gotten out of them. didn't like 'em much, like many others. Went with a combo Metzeler Marathon ME880 rear and Metzeler Ultra Marathon ME 888 front in stock sizes.

about 2200 miles on them, they stick just fine in all conditions, haven't gotten them to slip even for a moment, and I often scrape the hero blobs just riding around - love the quiet too.

And so far, they look brand new. But time will tell. If I get 7K+ miles out of the pair, I'll consider myself lucky. And if I do, I won't bother changing to Avons.

Back