• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Back after 6 years

Lumir Bakota

Tuned and Synch'ed
Well, I am back at this forum after 6 years, I used to post then under nickname Luma46. I used to own a brand new 2012 Stelvio NTX as soon as they showed up in Alberta, Canada. I liked the bike, the way it felt, the way it rode and I loved its looks and character, the main reasons for the purchase. However, there were few things tha I could not put up with, kept comparing it to my previous 2006 1200GS, and sold it after one riding season.

The engine and especially the tranny were very noisy and everything run extremely hot, the engine, the cylinders, even the shaft drive. I did not mind much the valve train noise, but tranny was annoyingly noisy/whiney, especially in lower gears. As well, the coarse/flat paint on engine and shaft drive literally attracted road grime and was hard to clean.

So stepping forward, after riding 1200RT for five years, I traded it last year for a 2016 Africa Twin. Great bike to ride, light, comfortable, but I kept missing these transverse twins I had before. Major eye opener came when doing the service after 24k kms which included valves check/adjustment. It was a 3 day job. I am long time retired so I do not mind spending time on bike maintenance, but this was a horror job that I swear not to repeat.

So I am looking again at Moto Guzzis, specifically the Stelvio. I hope that forum members could answer my questions:
  1. Have there been some redesigns/improvements on Stelvios since 2012 and in what years?
  2. Does everyone have the same experience with this engine/transmission noise, especially the whine or does it subside with full break in?
  3. Do the engine and drive shaft still run so hot or was there any change with redesign or after full brake in?
  4. Has the engine paint job changed or is it still this coarse, flat paint?
  5. I guess, the bike still doesn’t have a cruise control, right?
I live now in SE New Brunswick and there is no MG dealers in whole Atlantic Canada, but there are few in Quebec, probably just over half day drive for me. How is on-line parts availability for MG and what is the best source?

Thanks for the feedback.

Lumir

Well, I am back at this forum after 6 years, I used to post then under nickname Luma46. I used to own a brand new 2012 Stelvio NTX as soon as they showed up in Alberta, Canada. I liked the bike, the way it felt, the way it rode and I loved its looks and character, the main reasons for the purchase. However, there were few things tha I could not put up with, kept comparing it to my previous 2006 1200GS, and sold it after one riding season.

The engine and especially the tranny were very noisy and everything run extremely hot, the engine, the cylinders, even the shaft drive. I did not mind much the valve train noise, but tranny was annoyingly noisy/whiney, especially in lower gears. As well, the coarse/flat paint on engine and shaft drive literally attracted road grime and was hard to clean.

So stepping forward, after riding 1200RT for five years, I traded it last year for a 2016 Africa Twin. Great bike to ride, light, comfortable, but I kept missing these transverse twins I had before. Major eye opener came when doing the service after 24k kms which included valves check/adjustment. It was a 3 day job. I am long time retired so I do not mind spending time on bike maintenance, but this was a horror job that I swear not to repeat.

So I am looking again at Moto Guzzis, specifically the Stelvio. I hope that forum members could answer my questions:
  1. Have there been some redesigns/improvements on Stelvios since 2012 and in what years?
  2. Does everyone have the same experience with this engine/transmission noise, especially the whine or does it subside with full break in?
  3. Do the engine and drive shaft still run so hot or was there any change with redesign or after full brake in?
  4. Has the engine paint job changed or is it still this coarse, flat paint?
  5. I guess, the bike still doesn’t have a cruise control, right?
I live now in SE New Brunswick and there is no MG dealers in whole Atlantic Canada, but there are few in Quebec, probably just over half day drive for me. How is on-line parts availability for MG and what is the best source?

Thanks for the feedback. Lumir

If I am wrong others can feel free to correct me, but... as far as I know the bike except for color changes has remained the same since 2012. That being the answer to all your questions:
1. No upgrades that I know of.
2.While the bike has it's noises, I haven't experiences the sounds you had. Then again I also didn't own a Beemer, a bike that does everything well & has zero personality. JMHO :>)
3. Never noticed or had an issue.
4. No change.
5. What's a cruise control?...no, never added.

2013 went to roller's instead of flat tappets.
And that is a fairly important change as conventional wisdom says that the flat tappet design for the 8 valve motors has issues and will fail. That 2 valve flat tappet motors will run forever, but Guzzi may have botched the design of the 8 valve flat tappet motor and it eats tappets / cams. There are kits to convert older flat tappet motors to roller tappets, and if you buy an older flat tappet motor I would make sure either the conversion has already been done or you budget enough money to cover the cost of the conversion when you buy it.

And people said my 4 valve motor was a bad design......

Yes the '13 has the roller tappets, but so do some of the late model year 2012s. Have to check the serial number to be sure as I found out with my 2012 Griso.

Back