• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Bad day

dabrucru

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Hi all, today i woke up early and decided to go to work with my racer. To start with the road were were soaked wet with morning dew ,which here in malta it get quite slippery. I almost slipoed twice. I arrived at work with the bike dirty as hell... than on my way back home as i was still in traffic a woman touched me slightly on my rear wheel. She mede me signal that she was sorry, and after i stopped to see if any damage was made, she vanished !! I felt nothing strange in the bike after driving it, but now im hoping that no damage was done. For what should i look just in case a damage was done? Does it affect being shaft driven? Also bike was in neutral.
Thanks

Last edited:
That was not a bad day, but a very lucky one.

I suspect your Guzzi is fine, too.

WRT your particular light rear-ender, I was once -- a very long time ago in a universe far away -- hit very hard on the upslope ramp at a frontage-road stop sign for a 4-lane road. I had just started to move forward when a car behind me "tapped" me with such force that I was catapulted onto the median two lanes away! :eek:

Yes, I probably did not actually "fly" that far, but I did some of it in the air and when I stopped, I was out of traffic and on the grass.

Somehow (and I assure you it wasn't skill) I remained upright on "landing," but was so dazed I fell over.

The driver said, "So, sorry; I didn't see you." No shix. Really? :swear:

Even more startling to me then and now was that the only damage I could find to my 60cc Yamaha "Riverside" (lordy, I loved that little machine) was a broken taillight and bent bracket. I was -- as only 19-YO folks can be after such an event -- completely unhurt. Wore a helmet even then, BTW.

I was about to trade up to the big leagues, anyway, as I had already put a downpayment on a 125cc Yamaha Santa Barbara, which seemed gigantic to me then. I can still see (and smell) it when I took delivery. Idling in a burbling sort of way just inside the garage door of the dealer to keep it from the rain outside.

In another lucky-for-me day the next week, I was moving at what I thought was a brisk pace on a back road. A car came up behind me and passed. I can still see the blue-haired lady in the passenger seat and her identically coiffed friend in the back seat. Never got much of a look at the driver, but it was a guy, and probably of the same ancient vintage, i.e., likely younger than I am now. Of course, at 19, everyone over 25 looks old.

[Digression: when 16, my parents had younger friends. The husband, Don, was mid-30's; the wife, Jesse, 26. I remember thinking at the time how hot she was :makeup: ... for an old lady. ;)]

So, anyway, there I wuz ... the car was a baby blue Ford Galaxy. It passed at a leisurely speed and VERY close to me.

How close? Well, in an eye blink, all Hades broke loose. One moment, I am doodling along omn a grand summer's day in western Kentucky. The next moment is all a blur of violence in loud sound and confusing action. In a third moment, I was conscious of sliding along the pavement, with my lovely Yamaha (did I mention that it was red, as was the Riverside; yes, a pattern was developing. :clap:) preceding me at a pretty good clip, while the blue Ford faded into the distance. I don't think they a clue (of much of any kind :snooze:).

Again, at 19, one just gets up from such a thing, dusts off oneself, and, of course, runs over to the prone motorcycle. Given the experienced physics of the event, I was surprised, again, at how little damage there was to the machine. The predictable ground-down handlebar-grips, broken lever, turn signal stalks, etc., but not much else. I had crash bars installed as an option and they both saved the day ... and, in some respects, caused it.

How, you might reasonably ask?

As you might guess, the event was the subject of some Sunday evening and Monday morning quarterbacking. [Oh, before I forget: "Go Patriots! :party::giggle:] The best theory that any of that teenager team could ever come up with was that the Ford's right rear bumper -- remember or google -- that in that day, car bumpers were chromed steel and wrapped around the end of the car like a fishhook. I was the catch, as that end snagged my crash bar and the next domino in the chain was BAM!

Without crash bars? Mebbe nothing. Mebbe my leg? Who knows? I'm just happy that it didn't scare me out of motorcycling.

Whew. Lots of words, but it was more fun remembering that "being there." And, as coffee is now done, time to get back to work "dehoardering" our house. Hope the kids are grateful for that some day. :rofl:

Bill

Last edited:
That was not a bad day, but a very lucky one.

I suspect your Guzzi is fine, too.

WRT your particular light rear-ender, I was once -- a very long time ago in a universe far away -- hit very hard on the upslope ramp at a frontage-road stop sign for a 4-lane road. I had just started to move forward when a car behind me "tapped" me with such force that I was catapulted onto the median two lanes away! :eek:

Yes, I probably did not actually "fly" that far, but I did some of it in the air and when I stopped, I was out of traffic and on the grass.

Somehow (and I assure you it wasn't skill) I remained upright on "landing," but was so dazed I fell over.

The driver said, "So, sorry; I didn't see you." No shix. Really? :swear:

Even more startling to me then and now was that the only damage I could find to my 60cc Yamaha "Riverside" (lordy, I loved that little machine) was a broken taillight and bent bracket. I was -- as only 19-YO folks can be after such an event -- completely unhurt. Wore a helmet even then, BTW.

I was about to trade up to the big leagues, anyway, as I had already put a downpayment on a 125cc Yamaha Santa Barbara, which seemed gigantic to me then. I can still see (and smell) it when I took delivery. Idling in a burbling sort of way just inside the garage door of the dealer to keep it from the rain outside.

In another lucky-for-me day the next week, I was moving at what I thought was a brisk pace on a back road. A car came up behind me and passed. I can still see the blue-haired lady in the passenger seat and her identically coiffed friend in the back seat. Never got much of a look at the driver, but it was a guy, and probably of the same ancient vintage, i.e., likely younger than I am now. Of course, at 19, everyone over 25 looks old.

[Digression: when 16, my parents had younger friends. The husband, Don, was mid-30's; the wife, Jesse, 26. I remember thinking at the time how hot she was :makeup: ... for an old lady. ;)]

So, anyway, there I wuz ... the car was a baby blue Ford Galaxy. It passed at a leisurely speed and VERY close to me.

How close? Well, in an eye blink, all Hades broke loose. One moment, I am doodling along omn a grand summer's day in western Kentucky. The next moment is all a blur of violence in loud sound and confusing action. In a third moment, I was conscious of sliding along the pavement, with my lovely Yamaha (did I mention that it was red, as was the Riverside; yes, a pattern was developing. :clap:) preceding me at a pretty good clip, while the blue Ford faded into the distance. I don't think they a clue (of much of any kind :snooze:).

Again, at 19, one just gets up from such a thing, dusts off oneself, and, of course, runs over to the prone motorcycle. Given the experienced physics of the event, I was surprised, again, at how little damage there was to the machine. The predictable ground-down handlebar-grips, broken lever, turn signal stalks, etc., but not much else. I had crash bars installed as an option and they both saved the day ... and, in some respects, caused it.

How, you might reasonably ask?

As you might guess, the event was the subject of some Sunday evening and Monday morning quarterbacking. [Oh, before I forget: "Go Patriots! :party::giggle:] The best theory that any of that teenager team could ever come up with was that the Ford's right rear bumper -- remember or google -- that in that day, car bumpers were chromed steel and wrapped around the end of the car like a fishhook. I was the catch, as that end snagged my crash bar and the next domino in the chain was BAM!

Without crash bars? Mebbe nothing. Mebbe my leg? Who knows? I'm just happy that it didn't scare me out of motorcycling.

Whew. Lots of words, but it was more fun remembering that "being there." And, as coffee is now done, time to get back to work "dehoardering" our house. Hope the kids are grateful for that some day. :rofl:

Bill
nice memories

Back