• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Barely Starting.

I don't know if this will help, but to repeat something that has been said before....
If the dealer doing the PDI on the bike does not follow the directions for the AGM battery, if they do not let it sit for the recommended time (something like 24 hrs) after adding the acid, the life of the battery can and will be dramatically shorter.
There are still plenty of lead acid AGM batteries that you can buy that do last 5+ years. I do not think there is a general issue with shorter life expediencies for lead acid AGM batteries. And so far I have much more faith in them then in the new Lithium batteries, they have been a bit disappointing for my Guzzi's. They appear to lack the amps a AGM battery has regardless of what they claim. They are impressive for their size, but to make one big enough for a Guzzi big twin ends up being a lot of $$$ and other then weight it is still no better then a quality AGM. And the weight issue is of little import on something as heavy as a Griso.
I just wish Odyssey made a battery that fits the Griso. They do make one, the 925, which is just a little large and if I can figure out a way to make it fit I would be a happy man.

Could you leave an Odyssey in a Stelvio for 3 months (asuming you could get it to fit),without having it on a charger,or would the current drain be too much?

I do not know as I have not been able to make one fit yet.
I know it can sit all winter on my Daytona with no charger and have no issues starting the bike in the spring. That would be in the 5 month range but without as much drain. But the new bikes have a larger drain from the ECU.
But I think it could.

Any lead acid batteries of any type have a self discharge that is high enough that they really should be charged ever month. I think they often state 1% per day. You might get away with leaving it months, but you risk sulfating it.
Of course, storing it where it is cold is better as it will slow down the self discharge.
And as noted, the Stelvio dash always has power to it, even with the key off, unlike the older bikes. For long term storage, disconnect the ground or such, on the battery.

Better yet, ride it often. :D

You could certainly not leave an Oddyssey battery in any big new Guzzi for more than 3 weeks without risking discharging it to the point of no return.

As stated, best to remove the ground if left to sit more then a week or two. The new Lith-I batteries are pretty amazing when it comes to shelf life with very little discharge.
There are advantages (above) and disadvantages (cost & cold start), but most outlined here; http://antigravitybatteries.com/?page_id=510

I like the technology of the Lithium batteries, that is why I bought two.
And while they do have their advantages, the cold start issue was way worse for me then I would have thought. I would have issues even on a 50 degree morning after having rode the bike the day before. Sometimes it was not even that low a temp. I never had starting issues with my Griso other then when the battery was dying until I switched to the Shorai battery. Within two weeks I was getting issues starting the bike (in August). I have applied various "fixes" and tested the parts involved. I finally have decided that a return to an older style (preferably Odyssey) battery is in order.

I am sorry if this seems overly negative, that is not my intent. As I said before, I like the basic technology of the Lithium battery. I just found that with current tech the lower amperage of the lithium battery did not get along with my Griso as well as I had hoped and in the end it was not suitable for that usage.
Worth mentioning is my Griso is one of the early ones that aborts the start attempt when it detects a reduction in amps/volts below some threshold. I assume that is the root of my issues with the battery.

Thanks GM, not taking it as being overly negative to me. The cold start issue is a known one, remedied by putting a load on the battery prior to pressing the start button. Something about exciting the molecules wakes them up and allows full CCA. An annoying honk of the horn, or thud of the starter usually does it for me.

pyoungbl said:
Toad, I just did an experiment to give you voltage numbers from my bike.
47F temp.
The battery has been on a DelTran Battery Tender for a long time so I think it is safe to say it is fully charged.
Fluke volt meter connected directly to the battery, no voltage loss through the bike wiring system.
With key off, 13.33 volts
With key on, 12.83 volts
With key on and starter button pushed, momentary drop to 10.9 volts. By momentary I mean that it was so quick that I almost missed it. The bike started in an instant, maybe only one crank revolution.
Running, 14.18 volts.

I'd take the voltage reading you get off the dash as just a general indication of what is going on electrically.

Hope this helps.
Peter Y.
Mine in comparison:
Key off, 12.8
Key on, 12.4
Butt. pushed, 8.3 (Not a typo)
Running, 14+

Toadride said:
Mine in comparison:
Key off, 12.8
Key on, 12.4
Running, 14+

I think you just found your problem. The battery can't handle the load. You have good surface voltage, but with a load applied it drops too much. Many EFI systems require a minimum of 10 volts to operate. I don't know if it is true for the Guzzi system, but in any case, replace the battery.

Mine in comparison:
Key off, 12.8
Key on, 12.4
Running, 14+

Ding..ding...ding...ding....we have a winner....

Late Christmas present, go buy yourself a new battery and your problems will go away. Opinions on batteries are like opinions on oil.........will never find a consensus.....sorry guys...... :D

Buy whatever sealed battery is available for now so it does not leave you stranded. And from the sounds of it it is just a matter of time.

Good luck

Yep. New one in supplied by Autozone today. Only about 20 miles on it but seems good to go. :D
Going next week up to Tuscon for a full service.

advise on batteries, look around and if possible buy a Made in Japan, yuasa agm battery.
my 98 Vfr lasted 10 years (and it has a big draw sitting)
The '06 dl-650 is still the factory original ( six years 70,000) not bad
I usually get 5-6 years on a Japanese Yuasa Battery

second choice, USA Made yuasa from Pa Factory.

add a few drops of water every other year ( and ride the bike every day)Yuasa does not endorse this, the water thing.

Lithium are a bad idea for this bike, (they die when cold, much damage is permanent when frozen often), and the charging system really does not put out the correct current for them to last and charge correctly(read overcharge). I have used many of these as total loss on race bikes. (they be light and small)

Gel batteries are also so so in the really cold,

JUST so everyone here knows, The Stelvio does shut down the ecu to protect the brain at 10.1 I think, do not remember for sure I have tested it though. :huh: (the E flashers stop working at 8 volts ).... BUT IT will go 80mi on just battery WHEN it is not charging at all. For the comfort that may be :roll:

Read the Yuasa Battery Manual, I posted a link to it when I suggested The Lad check the cranking Voltage, and if under about 10.3V change the battery,

My GT750 will go about 1700mi without charging at all, if you turn the head light off, do not use turn signals, yank the brake light wire, and kick start it :mrgreen: Ask me how I know this... aint technology grand

Brian UK said:
You could certainly not leave an Oddyssey battery in any big new Guzzi for more than 3 weeks without risking discharging it to the point of no return.
Just as an FYI. at the time of this post (2 1/2 months ago) I had just hooked up an Odyssey battery to my Griso. It is a little larger physically then the stock battery so it is not permanently mounted, but it has been connected electrically all this time. I took advantage of the warmer (mid 40's) temps, pulled the cover off, and hit the starter. The Odyssey battery had zero issues starting the bike. It took almost the full cycle of the starter to start as it had not run in 2 1/2 months, but the starter kept spinning the motor with no sign of slowing and likely could have spun it another round had it not fired.
The stock battery is just not big enough for the draw the bike puts on it. A slightly larger battery can handle the draw it seems.
If I can figure out how to permanently mount the larger battery I am good to go, starting issues solved.

Weather or not stock batteries are a little weak on the cold crank, I think what Pyoungbl pointed out earlier in the thread makes good sense. With me in transit and with the replacement doing a good job, I have not got around to doing it but will, at some time switch out the cables for obvious better ones. Here's the link.
http://www.motolectric.com/products/hicap.detail.html

uzidzit said:
advise on batteries, look around and if possible buy a Made in Japan, yuasa agm battery.
Granted, Yuasa has been the OEM battery of choice for years, but...Yuasa is also the reason every Boeing 787 in the world is grouded right now. Just sayin'...

In my experience Yuasa is not the top of the line battery it once was. Whether that is because their quality is slipping, or that I have since found other brands that are better, I do not know.
But while Yuasa's are nice, there are better options out there.
And I do get a chuckle out of the Dreamliner battery issue as so many people seem to think LiFe battery tech is already perfected and the issues are a thing of the past. LiFe batteries are very cool and have their place, but the are not the end all/be all battery and they are not without their issues.

The post I made resurrecting this thread was in answer to the perception that the modern CARC Guzzi's will drain a battery to the point of not starting in a month or so without a battery tender type set up. That is not the case, it is just a matter of capacity or lack thereof.

I posted before elsewhere... Lead quality and content in newer batteries is rapidly declining, even for Yuasa. Lith-I batteries are coming around, and the brand I'm selling here, which has proven itself and is being used by high $ Moto manufacturers. The 16 cell version spins my Stelvio faster then any battery I've tried.
I have witnessed several Anti-G batteries get revived from as low as ~2 volts, with the Optimate Lith-I charger. If you leave the ignition on for weeks, don't expect to bring it back.

My bike has been parked up in a very cold mate's garage 25 miles from where i live, it gets no attention at all, started once in ten weeks and run til warm then turned off and left for a further 4 weeks. Last weekend, in the snow, I had to take the bike for an MOT (UK safety check) fearing the worst I went prepared for a battle but the bike fired first prod of the starter.

OE battery, 15k miles on clock... :D

PS I hope I haven't just jinxed myself.... :unsure:

Back