• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Batteries and smart chargers

tris

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Morning all, I had a search but didn't find the answer to my question

Does keeping a battery kept on a smart charger while not in use hide a failing battery?

i.e. it will start the bike as soon as you disconect it for a ride and then fail when you're out and about

I ask as I suspect that the battery in my Roamer is circa 6 years old, so likely to need replacing and lives on my 5 amp Ctek charger most of the time

Cheers
Tris

The battery in my Roamer is nearly 8 years old and still going strong, it's always been on a tender but I sometimes leave it off for a day or two to make sure it's still up to the job.

As someone who used to work on and build industrial battery chargers, yes, charging the battery right before starting the engine could be hiding a worn out battery. But I doubt that the tender (or tender/charger type) is your issue.

If for example your charging system on the bike is not in good shape, or you have some parasitic current draw through either a minor short or aftermarket accessories, that too would allow you to start the engine fine when you've fully charged the battery at home, and the battery may last long enough or get enough charge to keep the voltage high enough to run the bike while riding, but then give you starting issues on your return journey home.

Battery tenders are designed to do just that, tend to a battery that is in good condition and will just be sitting for a while. While it may be sort of nursing your battery along, I would be inclined to say your issue is upstream of the battery tender itself, or what type of tender/charger it is. Almost certainly the battery or charging system health is your issue instead, especially given the age of the battery you mentioned. Well worth replacing regardless, and cleaning the terminals on the harness too.

None of my bikes over the years have needed to be on the battery tender in order to start, even when sitting for a whole winter in my garage. I still use a battery tender on my seasonal bikes, but the tender always reports that the battery is still full or very nearly full every time I plug it in. Never had starting issues in years prior to me owning a tender either. I also usually replace batteries in my bikes well before any noticeable issues arise, usually every few years, or if the battery has been discharged too much due to some issue before. That can damage the plates in the battery and accelerate wear.

-Mike

Thanks Mike

To be clear I haven't had a problem yet, but if the tender is hiding the problem that would be problematic.

Generally though (perhaps Dave above excepted) 6 years seems to be a good life and as you say it would be prudent to change to a new battery before it lets me down in the boondocks

Cheers

Generally though (perhaps Dave above excepted) 6 years seems to be a good life and as you say it would be prudent to change to a new battery before it lets me down in the boondocks

Cheers
Especially if that happened in nearby Sherwood Forest. I've read that the ghost of Robin Hood rides a Guzzi.

Morning all, I had a search but didn't find the answer to my question

Does keeping a battery kept on a smart charger while not in use hide a failing battery?

i.e. it will start the bike as soon as you disconect it for a ride and then fail when you're out and about

I ask as I suspect that the battery in my Roamer is circa 6 years old, so likely to need replacing and lives on my 5 amp Ctek charger most of the time

Cheers
Tris
Keeping a battery on a tender can do that but you should be able to identify the signs of a failing battery when not on the tender and especially when riding.

What you are describing is a battery with a very reduced capacity to store energy. The charger brings it to a state where it can start your bike but then either because of a short ride or because the alternator is not working properly or because the battery will not accept the charge or all the above, it will fail to restart unless charged again. Eventually even after the charger displays a fully charged battery you will be unable to start your bike, or start it with difficulty. You basically need a new battery and properly maintain it.

My understanding is that lead acid batteries like to be at a fully charged state. What deteriorates a battery's health is when its charge is being depleted (and the lower it gets the worst) and it's not charged back to a full state.

Long story short, the idea is, the longer you keep your battery as closer to fully charged as possible, the longer it will last. YMMV.

Last edited:
I agree. In my fleet, the average battery age is 7 years. They live on automatic 4 AMP chargers whenever they are parked in my workshop.

I never experience electrical anomalies either like many who come here. Go figure.

FWIW: I am in the process of upgrading all of my bikes to Lithium batteries. My Centauro has had the same Lithium battery for over 10 years now.

YMMV

Last edited:
I agree. In my fleet, the average battery age is 7 years. They live on automatic 4 AMP chargers whenever they are parked in my workshop.

I never experience electrical anomalies either like many who come here. Go figure.

FWIW: I am in the process of upgrading all of my bikes to Lithium batteries. My Centauro has had the same Lithium battery for over

10 years now.

YMMV
I'd be interested to participate in a discussion about lithium batteries. But I know very little about the subject so I will wait for someone more knowledgeable to start a thread 🫡

Back