• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

best electronic ignition upgrade ?

fossilrder

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hey guys/gals, Steve (Fossil) here. Just wondered what the differences/ benefits/down sides are with the different electronic ignitions available for the older Guzzis? I just installed a Dyna III on the '76 T3 cafe project I have been S-L-O-W-L-Y- building, but haven't fired it up yet so don't know if this was a good decision or if I might regret it. Any input will be greatly appreciated. I also have a G5 daily rider that I will probably add a similar set-up to. Thanks, Steve

I've got a bit of experience with the Dyna III systems. Over 30 K miles on my MkV LeMans and I've installed several others for people. So far no issues with any of them.

Thanks for the reply, John. Also, it was nice to finally meet you at the Cannon Ball stop in Chattanooga the other day. Always nice to put a face with an email. I am finally getting very close to getting the cafe project on the road. finally got the engine cleaned and detailed and WHAT A JOB ! Did it with it still in the frame (the hard way). Now just need to touch up the frame and tidy up all the wiring and detail the wheels and other bits. I'm not trying to build a show bike but want it to look good. I just got back on it, after ignoring it for quite a while, and installed a B-10 cam and the Dyna ignition. I had already installed a nice set of 36mm DelOrtos and a set of BUB mufflers. The previous owner had just installed a RAM clutch, new IKON shocks,new Macadam tires, and some new seals here and there right before I bought it and had hardly ridden it. So..... I hope the bike performs well. Getting excited. Thanks again. Steve Chancey

I'm on my second Dyna on the LeMans 1000. The first one lasted 20 years.
The only downside is that when they eventually fail Murphy's Law will dictate that you will be a long way from home.

I'm on my second Dyna on the LeMans 1000. The first one lasted 20 years.
The only downside is that when they eventually fail Murphy's Law will dictate that you will be a long way from home.

Yes, Murphy does strike on occasion. The nice thing about the Dyna is that it is very easy to go back to the points ignition. Also the points mounted on the points plate don't take much room if you carry it with you.

Yes, I had thought about just carrying the points set-up and tools with me, when I get the bike on the road. Good thing about this is I have a Kawasaki C14 Concours that I travel on for long distance rides (I know, shame on me). So mostly the Guzzis are within 120 miles of home and I could be rescued quite easily, if need be. Although, with that kind of reliability, there seems to be little to worry about. Just now getting ready to gear up and head out into the North Georgia mountains on the Griso. Going to meet a buddy on his Multistrada and play for the day. Since we are so close, John, maybe we can hook up for a ride sometime. Later. Steve

When the Dyna started going on my LeMans it started cutting in and out onto one cylinder until that cylinder finally went completely so I had plenty of warning of imminent failure.

Do electronic systems always go after a time? I have a Lucas Rita system fitted for 40 years. Its fine but Im about tp go on an extensive tour. Should I replace it?

I had them on my Le Mans 2 for a few years , first one was good for about 4 years , the second around 5 years .
Went with the Dyna ignition as the Rita was NLA :( . Got 6 years out of the Dyna . The Rita was the best , the electronic
advance was great on my kitted bike . Back to OEM points and am staying with them . All electronics left me
too far from home (always a Sunday). Peter
Clearly your mileage is fantastic .

I've kept the Dyna and have been in touch with them concerning repairing it (while I was working at a dealer) , I still
have it and probably it'll stay in a crate with other parts . Burned too often and there is no roadside repair, short of hoping
you brought along an entire points assembly ( kinda says "why bother") , I'm glad others have had better experiences. Peter

Renewed my points last winter, managed to get hold of some new magneti originals and fitted a Gammatronix ignition amp.
Set up the points with a strobe and fitted new Bosch plugs.
Runs very nicely.
The bike, LM2, has not long had a new cam chain and tensioner, and advance springs, and also last winter I had the distributor out for a good check over.

Back