• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Big As They Get

Tonerjockey

High Miler
GT Contributor
Well I think I finaly have managed to arrive at the largest pistons that will fit under the heads of the V7 Sport.

At first I used the stock pistons. Hemi baby! Some power but I was RACING and needed BIG COMPRESSION.

So CP Pistons made me their largest billett pistons to fit stock bore. They started off as 12:1 but flycutting for the big valve and the sinking of both valves into the heads reduced the compression considerably. Cool pistons though.

StockvsCPForgedsm.jpg

Turns out the demensions I gave CP were for the stock heads and the "hot" heads caused low pressures. ugh.

So back to CP, and with help from Terry Stewart from Shaker Products, we used the "hot" heads for the spec. we came up with this:

CPForgedvsBilletsm.jpg

The previous forged pistons were as tall as forged pistons come. If I wanted to blow the heads off I needed to have pistons cut from billett. This is what was done. The flycutting reduced the max compression, of course, but all of the combustion area should now be filled with piston. We are looking at minimal clearance to the head. I'll need to clay this thing very carefully and adjust with gaskets. The cylinders have wire o-rings for copper gaskets and I have every size available from Gaskets Unlimited.

If this doesnt get the pressure I'm looking for I think I'll move on to Tiddley Winks.

Alex

Looks great, but I can't help to ask: you're twin plugging this engine, no?
Cheers, JR

Twin Plug, recessed enlarged intakes, and am now working getting on a Czeck ignition to spark it. The heads are about 20% larger than stock ... makes getting compression tougher.

That Norris 382 grind cam might actually work with these...

The larger plug is a flat racing plug and the smaller doesn't protrude into combustion chamber. Pistons don't need relieving for plugs.

I have yet to install and clay these with either the B10 or Norris grind cams... mught hafta do some modifications to them for clearance.... we'll see.

After the cam/piston/head combination is setteled and fitted, the engine comes out and I'll get it all balanced.

Hopefully I'll be ready by May...

Alex

Sounds good! I might actually have a Norris 382 too (in my LM III). I hear different stories about that cam, too peaky, too hot etc etc. But then again the engine characteristics with any cam will differ with the cylinder volume. I once saw a Guzzi California easily wheely without clutch abuse with that cam and later smoke a BMW K100RS. Not too bad I thought. My bike is 1037cc and it gives me lots of midrange and high-end power(80 rwhp with stock exhaust).
It might be a peaky engine with only 750cc(no problem in your case), just like the original V7 sport cam seems very peaky for the V7 sport, but I knew a few people that used that cam in 948 and 992cc engines with sidecar rigs with good results. So I say try it and use good and well shimmed valve springs!
Cheers, JR

That is going to make one seriously ugly combustion chamber! I suspect the twin plug is essential as you have almost bifurcated the flame front.

It will be interesting if you get the power you hope for but I would have attacked it by serious flow bench development and some modification of the combustion chamber to increase squish.

There are gas filled copper O-rings that work a treat - sorry don't have the name of any suppliers offhand.

Good luck and it will be interesting to see how this works,

ChrisR

We used to run a similar piston crown shape in our Ducati racebikes, but we would machine the top of the crown flat for some semblance of a combustion chamber. We also had dual plug heads.There are two sides to the combustion chamber issue, one being that you want a good combustion chamber shape to speed combustion and the other that you want high compression to speed combustion. The trick is to find the balance point between the two.
What is your final compression ratio?

Dunno what the final CR is yet. Ran the engine yesterday and it seems pretty strong. Today the ignition system gets attention.

Once the ignition is stable I intend to reduce the current squish from .061' to .041". When that's done I'll measure the CR.

The heads were done by the same guy that did The Mendello Meteor's and I'm just trying to fill them up. We'll see how this goes of course.

Alex

Back