Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

Big Bore Kit for 1200 Sport ???

Discussion in 'BNS12 Chat & Tech' started by Idaho Red Rocket 3, May 6, 2018.

1. Idaho Red Rocket 3

Idaho Red Rocket 3 Just got it firing!

Does a big bore kit for the 2V 2008 1200 Sport exist. What can be done to increase displacement ?

More importantly, what can be done to increase power ? My bike has a PCV and AutoTune, Mistral exhaust and the aluminum plate intake.

2. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

I suggest you have a good look at a Cali 1400 Custom or Audace. Easy way to get more cubes without worrying whether your drive train is up to it.

Own 3 1200 2v Sports, and 2 Cali 1400 Customs, with reflash, power commander and autotune on two of the Sports, and one Cali 1400. They're all good.

3. Bisbonian

Bisbonian Cruisin' Guzzisti

The 8v engine (4 valves/cylinder) will physically fit in the 1200 Sport chassis...

4. KRHguzi

KRHguzi Tuned and Synch'ed

The 4 valve motor is a huge improvement over the 2 valve. 23,000 miles on mine with no problems. The swap does not require any clever tricks or fabrication. I used the engine, entire drive train, wiring harness and everything that connects to the wiring harness. The only fabrication required is modifying the mount for the instrument panel and changing the molex connectors for the turn signals and headlights.The Air box and exhaust works with no modifications.
    If you are going to make the swap I will be glad to share whatever information I have
    I used to live in Boise, went to Borah High in 71 and spent a year of quality time at the Boise Cascade plant in Nampa. SAM_2830.JPG

GT-Rx® likes this.
  5. V700Steve

V700Steve High Miler GT Contributor

6. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Thanks for the link... long out of production unfortunately.

Nothing on displacement. The 1151cc motor is the largest pistons that can be used in the push-rod cases.
    A 8V transplant would be next, and I can 1380cc big bore these for you. Just takes (lots of) money.

stinga likes this.
  7. Idaho Red Rocket 3

Idaho Red Rocket 3 Just got it firing!

Thanks. What can I do to get more power then ?

8. Trout

Trout GT Reference

Really not much & it's something that many new Guzzi owners contend with.
    Guzzi's have never been a "fast" machine what they are is a very satisfying machine to own & ride.

Even back in the 70's they were a machine that you could run all day at 80 mph day after day after day & love every minute.
    Today they are faster than the old 70's machine but they still love to run along at 80 mph, all day long.

Not to be a jerk just saying the truth: If you want a fast bike buy a fast bike.

Here's something I've noticed over the years with many fuel stop conversations.
    Him: "Hey a Goose, haven't seen one of those in years"
    Me: "Yeah pretty rare"
    Him: "I had a <LeMans> long time ago, great bike loved riding it but I sold it and got a <fast bike>". "Wish I hadn't sold it there was just something about that bike......., well have a good ride".

john zibell, Mayakovski and GT-Rx® like this.
  9. V700Steve

V700Steve High Miler GT Contributor

You could start w/your heads, that would increase the flow, larger throttle bodies & a hot cam. OR get Todd to make you a 1400.

10. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

I thought there was another thread on here about getting more power out of a Guzzi motor.
    My 2 cents.
    The best option is, in my opinion, a motor swap. The 8 valve motor is an easy swap, the 1400 motor swap would be harder but it would offer more potential (no replacement for displacement).
    There has been a 1420 kit out of Italy for the 8 valve motor, but I don't think you can get that anymore. But starting with the 1400 motor you would not need to.
    There are the tried and true options, like porting. Heck, if the squish clearance is anything like what it was on the wifes V11 you can get a decent increase just from improving squish. I had the cylinders and head milled so that her V11 motor actually had a proper squish band. That upped compression and improved combustion. I also had it ported while it was apart, it seemed like a good idea. It runs much better, but it still isn't going to out run a actual "fast" motorcycle.
    In my opinion, there is a lot of little improvements you can do to a Guzzi motor. They are very rewarding to work on and make better. Unlike most current motorcycles, Guzzi's are not refined all the way, there is still some you can get out of them. Many other motors are pretty well refined and maximized, so that it is very hard to get much out of them. There is clearly room for improvement in a Guzzi motor. Getting 10 or 20 percent more power out of a Guzzi motor is clearly possible. But make no mistake, it will never be Hayabusa fast. So as long as your expectations are reasonable, have at it.

Additionally, here is a link to an old, probably obsolete, option.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20081221014029/http://www.bigbore.it/index.html
    An MGS 01 with that motor won at Daytona in the big twins race a good while back. Interesting that it offered partial liquid cooling but still used two valves per cylinder.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Trout likes this.