• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Bike won't start, DSB07 & DSB08

It shouldn't happen again as long as decent hose clamps and a fully submersible hose were used. If you're paranoid carry a couple of small clamps and a screwdriver with you and an 8mm (?) might be 7mm spanner for getting the pump out.

Pete

Forgive me for being ignorant ... what tank are we talking about here? The big, painted one with the MG badges, or the smaller one inside that holds the actual fuel? How does one get into the latter, if it's indeed inside that the pump lives??
(If it doesn't, why does one need a submersible hose?)

Maybe it's a single piece/part, Brian, but AFAIK fuel is not sloshing on the inside of the plastic I hold between my knees, but in a reservoir hidden within??

The Norge tank is just one big empty plastic jug. The fuel pumpfilter assembly is a single unit bolted to the bottom left rear of the tank. If you have ever tanken the tank off, you will see it. I don't beleive anyone with a Norge has had the fuel hose failure - though there may be potential for fuel filter issues if you have the half metalhalf plastic fuel filter that some folks have had issue with (plastic swelling).

Hey Andrew: glad it was something simple and nothing serious. Too bad about the hassle it caused you though.
FBC

For peace of mind, you might open the fuel cap and turn the ignition key on to see what it looks like (no swirling, turbulence in the fuel) when the hose is attached and the fuel pump kicks on. Then, if it happens again, it will be a 10 second check to confirm the problem.

The factory clamp is a compression-style that, when I examined it the second time it happened, allowed the hose (with clamp on) to fairly easily slide on/off the pump. The retaining 'rib' on the end of the pump is much lower profile than that on the adjacent filter. Not sure why they made it so - all I can figure is they want that hose to pop-off in certain scenarios?!? With the new SS clamp I used, I don't think it will ever pop off again... so I hope I never discover that safety scenario I speculate on!

Hey Doug, I know what you mean; we had such few nice days for riding and I had to sit by the sidelines watching everybody else go by. On the bright side, though, it's one more thing I learned. Motoretta also did a good job fixing the slight high RPM reading I was experiencing when coming to a stop with a hot engine. The bike runs better than ever. Tomorrow I'll locate the fuel pump to satisfy my curiosity and try the little trick that Tim posted yesterday.

Fyi, I spoke with George at the store and he reminded me of the two events coming up at the end of August. The first one is mostly for scooters but they're trying to get motorcycles to attend as well. I know how much you love those Vespas so here's your chance to race them! The second event is the one that Bruno told us about and is strictly for Moto Guzzis. It's supposed to be a 3 day get away and I haven't made up my mind yet. Let me know if you're contemplating it.

Andrew: Don't know about the 'scooter' event, but I'am going to go to the Guzzi rally. Check out the old stuff that shows up and cop a couple of test rides on the demos.FBC

Back