• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Bike won't start

Bobcat

Tuned and Synch'ed
Went out this morning to ride to work. When I turned the key on I noticed that the fuel injection didn't sound right. It sounded really weak and my bike wouldn't start. I rode on Sunday and it ran great. Any ideas? vapor lock, dirty fuel filter? I filled it with premium and parked it in the garage after my ride so it's a bit of a mystery.

Bobcat

Bobcat said:
Went out this morning to ride to work. When I turned the key on I noticed that the fuel injection didn't sound right. It sounded really weak and my bike wouldn't start. I rode on Sunday and it ran great. Any ideas? vapor lock, dirty fuel filter? I filled it with premium and parked it in the garage after my ride so it's a bit of a mystery.

Bobcat

You didn't mention if it turned over or not, so I'm just making an educated guess here. If the fuel pump activation didn't sound right, probably a battery problem. Batteries these days tend to fail without warning. You may have the voltage needed for everything to cycle, but not enough amperage to make thing happen.

I recently put a new gel battery in the bike. It would crank but wasn't getting enough fuel to turn over. The starter didn't lug down on the nemerous times I tried to get it going.

Bobcat said:
I recently put a new gel battery in the bike. It would crank but wasn't getting enough fuel to turn over. The starter didn't lug down on the nemerous times I tried to get it going.

A vapour lock's not very likely with a high pressure fuel injection pump. That leaves either the filter, the pump or the injectors themselves.

When you turn it on, can you hear the fuel pump charging the system as the gauge needles do their self test?

If it's the pump or the filter, the assembly has to be removed from the tank. Is the filter a metal case one or the OEM plastic case one? The plastic ones I think were the subject of a recall where they were meant to have been replaced. They swell up and fail.

With the metal ones lots of other bikes use the same filter. I got a BMW one, but I'd try and get something a bit cheaper next time.

If the starter's not loading up, perhaps it's compression?

I could hear it charge the system but it didn't sound strong like it usually does. Just a weak wheeze sound. Bike only has 55k on it I wouldn't think it could be a failed fuel pump but how does one know?

Got the bike started but when I roll on the throttle it dies. Where is the fuel filter on the 2008 Nevada? Is it that metal round thing on the underside of the tank? Or is that the fuel pump? Strange how it was running fine then this happened. I still don't hear the strong sound that primes the fuel bodies but the ECU is working because I can hear it click when I turn the key on. Is the carbon filter the fuel filter? Sorry if I sound like an idiot but I basically am when it comes to this kind of thing.

Bobcat said:
Got the bike started but when I roll on the throttle it dies. Where is the fuel filter on the 2008 Nevada? Is it that metal round thing on the underside of the tank? Or is that the fuel pump? Strange how it was running fine then this happened. I still don't hear the strong sound that primes the fuel bodies but the ECU is working because I can hear it click when I turn the key on. Is the carbon filter the fuel filter? Sorry if I sound like an idiot but I basically am when it comes to this kind of thing.

The fuel filter and fuel pump are inside the tank towards the back. If you take off the tank, you'll see an oval shaped plate surrounding where the main fuel hose emerges (not the two vent hoses). If you remove this plate, it comes out as an assembly with the filter and pump attached. Probably a good idea to order the appropriate gasket first, just in case. The fuel filter is used by a number of different bikes including Triumph and BMW.

Thanks all for the help. Why can't these happen in the friggin winter? :x

We think that ethenol may have damaged the main fuel pipe on my bike. Does anyone know if I can use a generic piece of pipe or do I have to order the guzzi part?

Bobcat said:
We think that ethenol may have damaged the main fuel pipe on my bike. Does anyone know if I can use a generic piece of pipe or do I have to order the guzzi part?

What do you mean by "main fuel pipe" ? If the lines inside the tank, then you need submersible fuel injection hose. If from the pump to the injectors, then just standard fuel injection hose. Covered well in other topics. Did you do a search on "fuel injection hose"?

Bobcat said:
We think that ethenol may have damaged the main fuel pipe on my bike.

Just wondering-on what do you base that conclusion? Not saying it isn't so-but not saying it is, either, in lieu of actual evidence of same.

what percentage of ethanol was in your fuel ? I filled up the other day and noticed too late there was tag on the pump stating there "could be" up to 10% ethanol in the gas . Should I drain this gas out somehow? Or am I safe for just this one time? A bit nervous now. :shock: max

max said:
what percentage of ethanol was in your fuel ? I filled up the other day and noticed too late there was tag on the pump stating there "could be" up to 10% ethanol in the gas . Should I drain this gas out somehow? Or am I safe for just this one time? A bit nervous now. :shock: max

Don't worry about that.
Europan gas generally holds 5% ethanol, so the lines are made for tolerating ethanol. Also there are really no proof that ethanol made any damage to any newer EFI Guzzi.
The Nevadas had a problem with swollen filter houses, but I haven't seen anything but guesswork blaiming on ethanol in those cases. If you've got one of the plastic-housing filters, it may have cracked. Just swap to a full metal bodied filter.
If you haven't got a Guzzi dealer near to you, go to a BMW, Triumph or Ducati dealer. They all use those filters, basically a Mahle KL 145.

This is the whole filter/pump package. It's a 2 min job to demount from the tank - when the tank is off the bike.
The pic shows a package been soaked in 5% ethanol gas during the last 7 years.....

4567518723_3bc39aea55.jpg

Even though I run Premium 92 octane it contains 10 percent ethanol. got the info from the Guzzi dealer tech in Portland. He stated that they have seen some problems from ethanol with the main line from the fuel pump cracking.

The fuel hose coming off the pump is a known issue on the Nevada. Should have been fixed by the dealer.. You need fuel injection hose and *clamps* to fix it.

Think you may be right. I drained the tank as best as I could then removed it. I took the unit as far out of the tank as I could but it kept hanging up. I noticed that the clear hose that connects to the fuel filter was lying in the tank. I'm not sure if I disconnected it trying to get the unit out of the tank however, I was being gentle with it. It attaches to the front of the fuel filter but very loosely. I'll by a new clamp and reconnect it tomorrow. Am I deluding myself that this could have been the problem? Perhaps it came off and there was enough gas in the filter and pump to get me home? It was less than one mile after fueling the bike. As I said it was running fine on Sunday but when I went to start it Wed It only made a weak sucking sound. Was the Pump attempting to draw fuel only to get nothing? Thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks,

Bobcat
A.K.A.
Ann

Think you may be right. I drained the tank as best as I could then removed it. I took the unit as far out of the tank as I could but it kept hanging up. I noticed that the clear hose that connects to the fuel filter was lying in the tank. I'm not sure if I disconnected it trying to get the unit out of the tank however, I was being gentle with it. It attaches to the front of the fuel filter but very loosely. I'll by a new clamp and reconnect it tomorrow. Am I deluding myself that this could have been the problem? Perhaps it came off and there was enough gas in the filter and pump to get me home? It was less than one mile after fueling the bike. As I said it was running fine on Sunday but when I went to start it Wed It only made a weak sucking sound. Was the Pump attempting to draw fuel only to get nothing? Thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks,

Bobcat
A.K.A.
Ann

If the hose is off, the filter cracked and so on, that is the problem; and the answer to the same.
The pump is providing all the pressure for the injection system, and is placed before the filter and both hoses.

Why the Nevada fuel system differs from the Breva and V7C is another Guzzi enigma.

Back