• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Bizarre riding positions

Muley

Cruisin' Guzzisti
IMHO, the weather is perfect here right now with lows in the upper 20's(Farenheit, that is) and highs in the mid-fifties.:) Of course, it's a little chilly for riding very far windshieldless or heatedvestless, but the bright sunshine and clear, clean air is a welcome change from the nasty, humid weather we have in the summer. I missed a planned, short ride yesterday due to working on a remodeling job I promised for a neighbor, and, as I walked home from the job site today, I heard a group of motorcycles approaching. I paused to watch them and thought maybe I should be riding also. From the sound of things, most of the bikes were assembled about 1000 miles north of Georgia.;)

Anyway, about eight or ten riders approached and most of them were sitting leaned back, spread eagle with their feet up on "highway pegs". Perhaps some of you out there in cyberspace can explain this position to me. I have never had a bike with highway pegs and, quite frankly, never wanted them. Is is more comfortable, better on the back, does it cure jock itch, or do the soles of the boots deflect bugs and rocks ? How long would it take at 60 mph for one of these riders to get their feet back where they should be? What happens if a deer runs out in front of them or an old lady in a Cadillac pulls out?

On the other hand, I suppose that riding a motorcycle whose handling characteristics are non-existent might cause the rider to adopt a pessimistic attitude that manifested itself in simply giving up and letting fate take its course:silly:

On a bike with straight up riding position-like my old '78 Guzzi 850T3-FB (comes with high wide police type bars & floorboards-hence the "FB") and a suitable windshield/fairing, highway pegs provide a way on long trips to stretch your legs out while riding. On the open road I often ride the thing with my legs fully stretched out, calves in boots resting on the pegs. Actually, makes a big difference on a long trip. Pegs, boards, rear pegs-gives me lots of foot/leg positions, all good. As for braking-well there is the hand brake you know, where most of the braking force resides on non-integrated brake bikes anyway-and in any case, when in traffic or deer habitats or otherwise inhabited areas, you keep your feet on the floorboards or regular pegs. And my T3 has quite good handling characteristics, actually. However, I suspect little of the above applies to the guys you were looking at.

Ahhh!

Thanks for explaining!
I always thougt that position was a way to ventilate your crotch!:dry:

How you perform any kind of inspired driving in the twisties sitting like that is far beyond my fantasy.:huh:

DSC00185.jpg
apes-717865.jpg

Doesn't match......;)

BOB:eek:hmy: Every couple of hours you have a chance to stretch. Gas stop! You don't have to air your nuts for the gods. As you know, I've done a bit of road touring myself but without the "ahhh...here I am" position:)

(did you see the photo in s/w ?)

I used to have hwy pegs on the Eldo LAPD and sometimes rode in the "Parachute" position but I found that I hadda hang on too much without a windshield.

Arizona straight roads (in the '70's) used to be good for the "Flying Carpet" position. Arms folded on handlebars, head resting in folded arms, belly on the tank, feet resting on ankles on passenger pegs. Hadda lock down the throttle... normal position mostly.

When I would pack crap on the back I could get the "Lazy Boy" going... Feet on the handlebars, butt sckootched up and head and shoulders on the back pack stack. Needed a 20+ mile straight stretch with no one else on the rode for that one though. I always wanted to try that playing harmonica.

Just returned from a 300 miler, in the fog in central valley, this weekend. With the windshield on mostly tucked behind the window doin the "Hey I wanna be a Cafe Racer" pose. Feet and legs tucked in hands gripping the bars in the middle. Whatever worked to get out of the wet and cold.

All in all just a happy motorcycle enthusiast...

Tonerjockey

Arms folded on the handlebars, or one propped up to rest my chin in my hand, I know that from biking. The Norge's bars don't really seem appropriate for that, but there's a tankbag that can act as a cushion.

I've been watching the LongWayRound DVDs ... some interesting riding positions in there too :)

Back