• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Bleeding brakes

I have never had any problems bleeding linked brakes. All i have ever done is jam the peddle down, fill up the master cylinder, check it for the first few hours and leave it over night. Next morning you have perfect brakes. I use the same method for the front as well.

I have used pressure bleeders on cars (the only way to do it). Just didnt want to make a bleeder cap for this master cyl. So I spent a little time and drank a few beers. Cool.
Us old guys can enjoy our time.

Papasloan

Reminds me of the two bulls chewing the cud together on a rise overlooking the herd. Said the young bull, "Look at all those cows down there. Lets rush down and do a couple." Said the old bull, "Nah. Let's stroll down and do do the lot."

Hurrying is different from speed and effectiveness.

Graham

Papasloan wrote:
The master cyl I used is 16mm.
And it works F'n awesome. Had the chance to climb on it hard. Didnt slide the wheel but it was making funny noises. Yeehaw!

Hi, thanks for that, Warwick :cheer:

Holt wrote:
Just so much faster&easier using a comp-air bleeder. You'll do 2 bikes in 10 minutes for a complete change of fluids.
Try using a commpressed air or vacuum bleeder on the linked system with the proportioning valve, as fitted to the SPIII etc.
There is a one way valve it there which prevents fluid going to the front brake until quite some considerable pressure has built up, more than you would use on a compressed air bleeder.
It's to delay the front brake coming on.
However you can bleed these very effectively using the syringe method referred to earlier.

Brian UK wrote:
Holt wrote:
Just so much faster&easier using a comp-air bleeder. You'll do 2 bikes in 10 minutes for a complete change of fluids.
Try using a commpressed air or vacuum bleeder on the linked system with the proportioning valve, as fitted to the SPIII etc.
There is a one way valve it there which prevents fluid going to the front brake until quite some considerable pressure has built up, more than you would use on a compressed air bleeder.
It's to delay the front brake coming on.
However you can bleed these very effectively using the syringe method referred to earlier.

I do not, and will hopefully never, own a bike with linked brakes.

Sorry for suggesting a - to me - very easy bleeding method, which works very well. Guess there are many more methods and varieties in brake bleeding than described above; many may work, some even be better, some worse. ;)
Just trying to point out an alternative method to heehoo hasn't got an indoor garage and more time than I have for doing these things.

The very complicated and hideous expensive tool I'm using looks like this

1650.jpg

Works by creating a quite low vaccuum, which will suck brake fluid through the bleeding nipple, while you slowly pour new brake-fluid into the master cylinder beecher; just like when youre doing the old open-push-close job. No cavitation, no bubbles . And no spilling.
And to those who care about that; no brake fluid exposure to humid air for an extended time.

I am merely trying to point out some limitations in specific circumstances.

What do you use as a source of compressed air which I assume you also need?

Brian UK wrote:
I am merely trying to point out some limitations in specific circumstances.

What do you use as a source of compressed air which I assume you also need?

Much fuzz on brake-bleeding here. :laugh:

I'm using a small, cheap 230-V €75-at-the-DIY-store-compressor. Good for adjusting tire pressure also. And much more.

OK, I have a slightly different question. What's the reason for using an oily liquid that's corrosive? I just played around a bit with a machine designed for calibrating pressure senders, and the liquid used therein is "just" hydraulic oil. Nothing corrosive or that degrades in time in there!

I believe normal mineral oils would get too thick in the winter.
There are a few cars (Audi?) that actually do call for mineral oil.

Wayne Orwig wrote:
I believe normal mineral oils would get too thick in the winter.
There are a few cars (Audi?) that actually do call for mineral oil.

Not Audi. They are using a 5W-30 very synthetic long-life oil nowadays.

Brake fluid isn't oil at all. It's an glycolbased liquid. (triethylene glycol monomethyl ether & additives)

Found it.

Citroen uses or used mineral oil, called LHM fluids.

Should have known they would be different. :eek:hmy:

That LHM fluid is shared with the suspension system on many Citroens. On their conventional suspension vehicles they specify standard DOT4 brake fluid.

All this talk of brake bleeding made me feel guilty, so today i did the back brake on the B11.
Dead easy to do, and boy, loads of bubbles came out!
What i thought was a half decent brake is now like a ships anchor, and rock hard!
Can't wait to do the front if it improves them as much! :)

Of course i've just fitted the Stelvio handguards, perfect timing! :lol:

If you are going to bleed the front brakes too I recommend giving them a good clean up at the same time.
Simply remove the pads and give them a good going over with some brake cleaner using an old toothbrush, then do the some to the callipers, pins and such. Put a little copper grease on the pistons and on back face of the pads, put it all back together again and bleed as normal.
I do my brakes between each service, it makes one hell of a difference.

Brian, does that mean Rolls Royce also uses LHM fluids on some of their models? ;)

In reaction to Joe's post: someone on the previous board won a right to a Brembo training day, where he was told that brake cleaner should not be used on the calipers. I can't remember if that applies to all models, or just the "Gold" series mounted on most (?) current Guzzis.

Wayne Orwig wrote:
Found it.

Citroen uses or used mineral oil, called LHM fluids.

Should have known they would be different. :eek:hmy:

I should have thought of that! I was practically raised in Citroën D-models; my father had 6 or 7 of them in a row since the mid-50's.
Always some work to do on those cars, he was a real DIY man! :laugh:

And worth it they were, too. Cars usually don't mean anything to me, except for a number of Citroëns (up to and including the SM), and the DS range is special. The DS Cabrio is one I'd get my car drivers license for... I suppose ye all know that DS stands for Déesse, French for goddess? ;)

Bleeding brakes 101

Howdy
Trying to bleed my rear brake on my Jackal for the first time and having trouble. Can you rundown the basics, I dont have any special tools, and my GF isnt handy to push down the pedal, so is a one man job possible? Do you loosen the vent first, then push down the pedal? Seems like we pushed a resevoir full of fluid thru the rear caliper, and its still mushy. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
DINO

Back