Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase these. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Bloody mechanics

Discussion in 'Stelvio Chat & Tech' started by BrianR, Aug 26, 2020.

1. BrianR

BrianR Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

After just about working from front to back with the Stelvio, finally took it out and it went great, save for the fact when I got home it was leaking liking the Torrey Canyon (look it up!). However it looks like my mechanic had left off a washer on the oil pressure sensor. I'm definitely never using myself as a wrench again!
    You might have to look at the picture from a different angle as it is coming down from the front of the left pot...my abilities with a camera are the same as those with a tool

Attached Files:

2. BrianR

Sorry, it is the right way up in fact

3. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Oh well, lesson learned. You aren't the only one to make a mistake so don't beat yourself up about it.

Skivo likes this.
  4. BrianR

If only that was the first or even the last. I have just had the starter on the bike apart as it doesn't seem to be totally unengaging when running. Just one more thing, but I love how the bike allows me to try to fix it, almost teasing me with "its really simple, how hard can it be" kind of look. I figure once I fix it and the bike is running, that we are together the sum total of both of our efforts and all the better for it. Both the Griso and the Stelvio now have 60,000 Kms from new in 2015 and 2016, and they run like tops most of the time and the advice and help from this site is amazing.

5. Raven

Raven High Miler GT Famiglia

There is something very satisfying about wrenching your own bike. When things go well and the job is done the euphoria even outweighs the frustration of previous failures.

6. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

The trick is to try not to make the same mistake twice.
    As they say, to err is human, to foul things up completely requires a politician.

7. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque Scott Mastrocinque GT Famiglia

Paper, pen, checklist...

Properly working on a motorcycle, takes place on paper way BEFORE a wrench ever should touch the motorcycle.

A fair amount of the work in my workshop, comes from people who did not understand this fact.

They failed to realize, that for the average home mechanic, you have completely forgotten how something came apart, 10 minutes after you finished disassembling it, let alone, days, weeks, months, or even sometimes, years later.

It never ceases to amaze me how people dig their own grave willingly.

Another thing, in todays modern world, I cannot over-emphasize is to take lots of digital photos, before, all during, and at the end. It cost nothing but a few seconds time, but It is so unbelievably helpful, having pictures. Simply lovely.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    Skivo, Wildroamer and Moto-Uno like this.
  8. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

It's even worse when you get a box of bits that someone else dissembled. That was my start to motorcycling.

9. BrianR

Scott, I try, I really do, even with a list and photos, my overall cackhandedness just simply flows over every logical approach:worried::worried:. However, I really embrace the "stuckness" of every incident and do learn, so that the same mistake is never made again.
    Consequently, I really appreciate all of the help that skillful engineers such as yourself can give me and 99% of the time, the knowledge of others gets me through, so all in all, I remain in that Zen place...that and several beers and the realization that every mistake can be fixed, given the limitations of my bank account:cool::cool:

scottmastrocinque likes this.
  10. scottmastrocinque

We all walk the path of Life on our own terms. :)

11. Rushjob

Rushjob Just got it firing!

That was my introduction to Moto Guzzi - bought several boxes containing a T3 Cali from North Notts in the early 80's, chucked it in the back of a mates van and off to my garage .... only took me two days to build it up and get it running ready for the MOT

12. BrianR

Thank you Rushjob, for dropping me yet another place down in the league of mechanical skills on this site....only 4 days to build up a bike from boxes and get it running.:worried::worried::worried: Right now I am putting down the spanners and drink will be my best friend!
    In all seriousness, that is a great achievement in 96 hours, Bravo:clap::clap::clap::clap:

13. scottmastrocinque

not to beat you down more but...

“only took me two days”

2 days is 48 hours, not 96.

14. Rushjob

I thang you :cool:
    In my defence the engine and gearbox were complete lumps so it was just a big lego / meccano set :nod::nod:. If they'd been in bits then a few days more would have been needed........

15. Moto-Uno

Moto-Uno Cruisin' Guzzisti

I live in Burnaby and have tinkered with a few bikes , if I can be of help in the future , don't hesitate to PM me .
    (some times misery likes company :) ). Peter

16. Rushjob

Just had a thought re the Torrey Canyon, courtesy of Blaster Bates........ "The RAF bombed it for two days, dropped one hundred 1000lb bombs on it and hit it twice! I tell you what, in the next war I'm gonna sit slap bang in the target area - after all, it was stuck on a rock and it wasn't even bl**dy firing back!" :D:D

17. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

I wouldn't advise that with today's technology.

18. Rushjob

True, but this was 1967 we were talking about, a different world, combined with British humour ;)

19. BrianR

Thats what working on a bike feels to me, twice as long and twice as hard. Misread, my bad

20. scottmastrocinque

The British have no sense of humor...except their 5 princes (Charles, Andrew, Edward, William and Harry) are the very definition of comical... :D

I feel so sorry for Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh...