Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY PRODUCT or other website hyperlinks. This means to ANY products OR to other Forums . We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase these. This is NOT a social media platform; It's a privately funded website. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Boiling clutch fluid

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by just James, May 28, 2018.

1. just James

just James Tuned and Synch'ed

Yesterday, as I was going up a long grade over a high mountain pass in the Rockies just west of Denver, I pulled over to take some pictures, and my clutch wouldn't disengage. Seeing as how I am 1,300 miles from home, I was more than a little concerned. I didn't end up completely stopping because I figured I better try to get in to Denver to get it fixed.
    After riding on in to Denver, it began working right again. All I can figure is that the motor was unable to adequately cool itself at that altitude, and boiled the clutch fluid.
    Anyone else here ever had a similar problem?

2. Mrmerlin

Mrmerlin Tuned and Synch'ed

do a fluid flush that should restore operation

3. just James

Had the clutch fluid, and the motor oil changed today.
    Was a little early on the oil change, but figured if the engine got that warm, it couldn't hurt.

4. Touringman

Touringman Cruisin' Guzzisti

James, it is not the engine's fault. it is bad brake fluid. "Virgin" brake fluid should stand 450+ degrees give or take a few. Brake fluid (same as clutch fluid) is hygroscopic. Meaning that is will absorb moisture from the air. That absorption, causes the boiling point of the fluid to plummet to the point where a hot engine will boil the fluid creating water vapor bubbles in the lines, hence, no brakes or clutch action. Fluid ideally should be changed every year or so, as the moisture will be absorbed even if the bike just sits.
    Hope that helps.
    Good luck
    Kirk

5. just James

Of course you are absolutely right. I don't know why I didn't think of that. I guess I was just a little too freaked out at the thought of having a mechanical issue 1,300 miles from home to think clearly. The boiling point of water is pretty low at 11,000 feet of altitude.
    Thanks