• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Bonneville Speed Week 2009

Tonerjockey

High Miler
GT Contributor
Just finishing the latest re-wire on the 750. Last run at El Mirage was dissapointing to say the least.
We had a GREAT starting number (36), the weather was good. We were 3rd from the line and suited up. Temp about 85-90 F. or so. Attempted to start bike and could not get ignition. I have an idiot light wired so it will come on when a relay proivided power to DynaIII and coils. No light!
Started letting racers pass me in line while I removed gas tank and began chasing power. Boy was I hot. Felt like the suit was filling up with sweat.
before I could find the cause the relay began working again... and I couldn't get it to fail... very unsettling.
So we figured let's run it and see what happens.
Got to the line, fired it up, got the OK, pulled off and it died... then back on!
Very dissapointing 95+ MPH.
After getting home I found that a multiconnector I used to tap power at the relay was crappy (loose). I really should know better than to use those as I have had probs before with 'em.
TIME TO REWIRE.
Removed ALL wire from the bike, and installed a rather snappy relay center (from Speedway). 4 relays, 4 controlled power ins either with or without fuse, 4 outs, 4 controll switch inputs. The best part is they are all screw terminal. No push ons... This should make it more consistent I hope.
The bike is now wired more like a race bike (I think)as there are no consulers except for the engine and controls. No headlights, tail, stop, dash ligh etc.
The only light on the bike is an idiot light wired to show power to the ignition (good name for a band!).

Here's a shot of the relay center:
Rewire2.jpg

Moved the coils from under the tank to in front of the battery. This cleaned up the wiring and makes getting to the coils much easier. Seems I putz with those alot:

Rewire1.jpg

Next step install the coils and install the newest Packard 440 spark plug wires. Then start up, timing, dyno, Bonneville!

Hope to see ya there,

Great recap Alex, any pics to post?

Hope to see you there this year.

Strugglin with the latest rev of the forum. Not bad once ya get it figgured out...

Alex

Just recieved 25' of Packard 440 sparking candle wire from The Hot Rod Shop. Fast shipping!!!

Packard440.jpg

Oh baby oh baby oh baby oh!

It's like Christmas around here! 25 feet should hold me for the rest of the year.

Off to install electron hose.

Alex

Alrighty then!

Coils in, spark wires in, all wired up and ready to race!

LeftView.jpg

Tank in and warmed up.

Ready.jpg

Here's a sot of the Dyna dual coils bracket. SCTA requires a metal battery holder so I incorporated the coil mount system with the battery bracket. A little kludgie but it works.

Coilsinstalled.jpg

Gotta install other intake manifolds, put the airbox back on (another SCTA rule for P-PP class), and get me to the dyno.

Bonneville is SOON!

Alex

http://www.scta-bni.org/events.html

Event Schedule
2009 El Mirage and Bonneville Land Speed Racing Events
El Mirage
May 16-17
June 14
July 12
Sep 13
Oct 25
Nov 14-15

The SCTA holds six competition events per year with a two day event to open and close the season. All events are held at the El Mirage Dry Lake in Southern California.

Bonneville
Speed Week
Aug 8-14

World Finals
Oct 7-10
The BNI has two major events each year at the Bonneville Salt Flats outside of Wendover Utah.

We'll be in Wendover on the 7th. I don't want to attempt tech inspection on the nike until at least Tuesday or so. Last year it took 4 hours to get through the line for tech. on the day before racing. The line to start was hours long as well. By Wednesday you could do laps as there were no lines. Everyone made records or busted trying by then.

We are racing a lakester as well so I have plenty of things to keep me out of the bar so to speak.

Alex

Best of luck at Speedweek Alex ! hoping for dry hard salt and tailwinds from the gods for you.
The bike is looking good, look forward to hearing about the event and conditions.

We`re going to attend the World of Speed in mid Sept again.

Give er hell ! Bill R.

Back