Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Brake Lever Contacts Exhaust

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by JasonC, Sep 2, 2021.

1. JasonC

JasonC Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I have a 2010 V7 Cafe with an Agostini exhaust system and V7 Racer rear-sets.

My problem is that the rear brake lever makes contact with the exhaust to the extent that I cannot lockup the rear wheel. It's kind of a poor-boy ABS for the rear wheel, but I don't like it. Has anyone else had a similar problem and if so, how did you correct it?

Jason

20210902_171133.jpg

2. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

It's only a suggestion, but can you reverse the bolt (by fitting the clamp 180°) so the excess thread sticks out on the outer side? Then perhaps cut a little bit off if necessary so the bolt doesn't interfere with the brake pedal.

3. JasonC

Thank you for the suggestion. But the brake lever actually doesn't contact the clamp bolt. Instead, it makes contact with the corner of the swage on the muffler. The picture shows the brake lever at maximum travel. I think I'll just grind away some the aluminum where the brake lever contacts the muffler.

Jason

4. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Personally, I would place a small dent in the muffler. It wouldn't be much, and shouldn't be easily seen (unless I'm misunderstanding something).

Not the first time! :blush:

john zibell likes this.
  5. DeadEye

DeadEye High Miler GT di Razza Pura

We need more pictures showing the problem...

6. JasonC

Here's another picture taken slightly farther away.

20210903_081059.jpg

Jason

7. DeadEye

Where is it touching / hitting ?
    Here or there ?

EDIT-20210903_081059.jpg

8. hatchb4ck

hatchb4ck Tuned and Synch'ed

I'm not sure this is a possibility, but would a small adjustment in the brake lever solve the problem?

john zibell likes this.
  9. JasonC

I've adjusted the brake rod out as far as I dare; it's got about one diameter of thread engagement.

I've filed a bit off the "corner"of the brake lever where it contacts the muffler and the lever now seems to make full engagement without contacting anything. Next I'm going to bleed the rear brake just to make sure I'm not giving up brake lever travel by compressing air.

20210903_101418.jpg

Jason

10. JasonC

Here, left-hand circle.

Jason

11. DeadEye

I would go for the small Dent in the Pipe as someone suggested vs. adding any Risk to the lever failing / coming off...

12. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

This was going to be my next suggestion, You've got far too much movement in your brake lever.

13. kenrover

kenrover Tuned and Synch'ed

Not sure if this is a solution:
    Can a spacer be placed behind the lever itself to bring clear of the muffler? I realise it may entail someone with a lathe doing it but at least it would be a neat job.

14. JasonC

Great idea!

I'll investigate further but suspect it will be quite a job. The complete brake assembly, not just the lever, will have to move out about an inch.

Jason

15. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Agree, just make the rod longer and rotate the peg on the lever to teh lowest position. You are nearly at teh lowest for teh peg now so you can gain a little.

That would change the angle to the piston in the master cylinder. Might not be an issue, but then again it might.

16. kenrover

kenrover Tuned and Synch'ed

That's true, John. It has to be a direct, perpendicular push otherwise some leverage is lost.

17. JasonC

I think the Agostini header pipe is not designed for a V7 Cafe with rear-sets installed from a V7 Racer.

Jason

18. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque Scott Mastrocinque GT Famiglia

Do you think? ;)

Although the default position usually presented here would be that Moto Guzzi and Piaggio both suck and are incompetent, and blah blah blah...:rolleyes:

john zibell likes this.
  19. JasonC

I bought the bike, 2010 V7 Cafe, second-hand and the first owner modified it quite a bit. Following are some of the modifications: 820cc big-bore kit; DynoJet Power Commander; O2 optimizer; oil sump extender; V7 Racer front fender; V7 Racer rear shocks; V7 Racer fuel filler surround; V7 Racer rear sets and Agostini Exhaust system.

I suspect that the Agostini exhaust was purchased based on a 2010 V7 Cafe application, which has no rear-sets. But then came the installation of the V7 Racer Rear-sets, which interfere slightly with the exhaust. I've managed to jigger the muffler around a bit, shave some material from the bottom of the brake lever, and crank the brake cylinder rod adjustment out as much as I dare. I can now chirp the tire with the rear brake!

On another note, I'm surprised by how well the single brake rotor and caliper work up front. Initially I was researching the installation of a twin caliper setup, but after riding the bike for a while I think the single caliper works just fine for my purposes.

On yet another note, I'm impressed by this bike's acceleration; I think it pulls harder than my old '75 Norton Commando, which was no slouch.

What's more, I think this is one of the best looking bikes I've ever owned; see pic. MyGuzziR.jpg

Jason

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
    DeadEye likes this.
  20. hatchb4ck

hatchb4ck Tuned and Synch'ed

Although I'm a bit partial to my Guzzi, yours is a beautiful motorcycle.