Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

brake light flicker - front brake lever play

Discussion in 'BNS12 Chat & Tech' started by pswiatki, Aug 17, 2019.

1. pswiatki

pswiatki Tuned and Synch'ed

I noticed my brake light flicker and was able to find the cause: front brake lever has just a bit too much free play and when I ride fast enough (on a highway, above 115-120 km/h - just above 70 mph) the wind pushes the lever enough for the microswitch to activate. Since there is no adjustment on the microswitch itself and it is mounted at a fixed position relative to the lever - how can this problem be addressed? Can I reduce the free play on the lever (so that the lever would not move enough for the switch to activate) or I risk that front brake could engage without my action on the lever? Perhaps it is just the matter of a worn switch that needs replacement? Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

2. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

You could try mounting the switch further away from the lever. You might have to get a little creative with the mounting arrangement. Try leaving the screws out, and securely fasten it in the new further away position with some good tape. Worth a try.

Edit: If that's too hard, replace it.

3. pswiatki

Thanks for your suggestion. However, this is a safety-critical part. If the tape failed and the switch did not activate I could be rear-ended in a much different way than last time (when I had the opportunity to test my freshly installed engine guards from Hepco&Becker - but it wasn't my stoplight that caused it). So, I shall check how I can move the switch and still have it securely screwed in.
    By the way: I taped over the microswitch on the other side (clutch) because it came apart somehow. The tape was really good (TESA tape, a kind of silver duct tape) but that was good only for a season, or so. I guess it deteriorated on the rain and high winds. Still [sort of] holds the switch together, but I will have to replace the switch, I think. Perhaps I should also try a new switch for the brake.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  4. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

You could cover your "safety-critical" issue by operating your rear brake in conjunction with the front, lightly if desired.

But your lack of an operating clutch switch is also a safety issue. Replace both would be a good starting point.

5. Raven

Raven Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I would replace the clutch and brake switch. As the number of duct tape repairs begins to build, soon the bike becomes unreliable and dangerous. A few small repairs at a time is less overwhelming than a huge and expensive list all at once.

6. Roblatt

Roblatt High Miler

I had this issue on my B11. Fixed it by super-gluing a thin piece of plastic on the brake lever where it touches the micro switch.

Robert

7. pswiatki

True, I fully agree - with one remark: I think the clutch microswitch is less of a problem, as it can only become a pain when the clutch is actually disengaged, but the cluster / ECU doesn't get the confirmation from the switch. Then it will refuse to start the engine when the gearbox is in gear. Am I right? That is: unlike the front brake microswitch (which is a safety concern) the clutch microswitch is less critical. Hmm... although I can imagine the situation where the engine stalls and must be restarted quickly (no time to put in neutral, just to pull the clutch lever) - that would be an issue...
    Anyhow, I shall order the switches and put them on the bike.

By the way: had the flicker on the stoplight mounted in the GIVI top case - it was always present (at low speed, too) - turned out to be a bad assembly inside one of their fancy touch-connectors at the case to mount plate touchpoint. At least that one was easy to address.

8. Roose

Roose Tuned and Synch'ed

On my '14 Stelvio there is a plunger type switch that touches the brake lever. I can wiggle it and get the light to stay on. Everyone has told me replace the small microswitch that has the spade connectors, that appears to be a separate part? Maybe yours has a similar part/switch?

9. pswiatki

Well, I will take a picture of the switch and post it here. I guess the best option, for now, is to get a new switch and try if it helps.