Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - we've been proud to harbor such wonderful Guzzisti camaraderie since 2005, for FREE. Times have changed, and so have the attitudes and expectations of far too many. Starting Jan 1, 2020, we will likely be shifting to a pay to participate format. You will still be able to read for free. This should alleviate all of the opinionated negativity that the free social media channels have created. If you are a donor or customer of ours, you're in, just use the Contact tab above if your account is not already promoted, or you can Upgrade your account once signed in. Or the Donate tab above is another option. We look forward to continuing this service to the Guzzi community, but it is not cheap or easy to host and maintain. We wish you the best for the Holidays and in the New Year.

Brake recall

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by john zibell, Aug 14, 2019.

1. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

I came across this today. ultimatemotorcycling.com/2019/08/14/moto-guzzi-and-aprilia-recalls-due-to-unexpected-braking-issues/

Piaggio Group Announces Moto Guzzi and Aprilia Recalls on Unexpected Slowing, Stopping problem

Piaggio Group Americas. Inc.has recalled various Moto Guzzi and Aprilia motorcycles due to braking issues that will cause the bikes to unexpectedly slow down or stop.

Included in the recall are the following models:
    • 2016-2018 Moto Guzzi Audace 1400 and Eldorado 1400
    • 2017-2018 Moto Guzzi California 1400
    • 2017 Moto Guzzi MGX-21 Bagger
    Piaggio says up to 1,701 motorcycles are affected by the recall.

The recall was triggered due to a problem with the front brake master cylinder that may cause the front brake drag or apply, causing the motorcycle to unexpectedly slow down or stop completely without activating the rear brake light.

The defect notice describes the cause of the problem this way, “The front brake master cylinder may not have sufficient ineffective lever stroke (ineffective stroke = initial part of the lever stroke which does not cause braking effect).”

It goes on to describe the warning symptoms that may indicate the problem: “If the vehicle is stopped it will be difficult to move by hand with the gearbox in the neutral position. If the vehicle is running it will progressively slow down, or will require opening the throttle to maintain speed.”

Piaggio will notify owners, and dealers will inspect, and if necessary, replace the front brake master cylinder free of charge. The recall is expected to begin August 13, 2019. Owners may contact Piaggio customer service at 1-212-380-4433. Piaggio’s number for this recall is PA2ZZQ1904.

Owners affected by the Moto Guzzi and Aprilia recalls may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov . The NHTSA campaign number is 19V561000.

roadventure, PaulDavies and Didier like this.
  2. whatthe

whatthe Just got it firing! GT Contributor

thank you for the info

3. sir fred

sir fred Cruisin' Guzzisti

This is what I have been experiencing with my rear brake on my 2015 Custom.

4. Didier

Didier Cruisin' Guzzisti

I hope it will be fixed soon.

5. Craig C

Craig C Just got it firing! GT Famiglia

I got this notification in the mail, too. The front brake lever feel on my Audace seems like it has too much freeplay :((at least as compared to my previously owned V11Sport). Is this an artifact of the ABS system?

I experienced this behavior 1st hand on my Centauro many years ago after trying to improve the feeling on the front brakes. I removed the epoxy on the threaded adjuster and screwed it in one "click"...it improved feel, but also did not allow the heated fluid to escape back to the master cylinder when the lever was released fully. Jeez...I guess that's why the epoxy was there:D...

I wonder if this is the tradeoff to have "stylish" master cylinders? I'd rather just replace them for more responsive units intended for more Sporty models...

6. Didier

Didier Cruisin' Guzzisti

I never got this notification in the mail and I ask my dealer to have the bike fixed and he said there is no replacement parts yet.

7. Motor2172

Motor2172 Just got it firing!

Does anyone know how the dealer tests for the problem? Also my dealer said the following. “If you bring it in and it needs a new master cylinder you cannot take the motorcycle with you.” Yes they actually said that.

John L likes this.
  8. PaulDavies

PaulDavies Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

That's because the recall is related to a key safety component (the brakes) If there's a fault and they let you ride it away, they would be negligent.

9. Motor2172

I understand the liability issue. It just struck me funny in a Big Brother kind of way.

10. anmagu

anmagu Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

Got my Audace carbon checked last week. Took around 15 mins.
    I guess at least 95% of the bikes won't have any problems, but since it's a safety issue they're obliged to check all the bikes...

11. Didier

Didier Cruisin' Guzzisti

What year is your bike?

12. anmagu

13. Didier

Didier Cruisin' Guzzisti

2017 I hope I don't get a recall

14. Motor2172

What was the procedure to check the brakes?

Didier likes this.
  15. sir fred

sir fred Cruisin' Guzzisti

What did they do?

Motor2172 likes this.
  16. Buttered Biskit

Buttered Biskit Just got it firing!

that what I thought. I got notice in the mail also. No problems with my Audace so I'm just gonna wait until I need service.

17. anmagu

Can't tell exactly. He just said it was short check and my bike was fine. That was good enough for me.

18. CCosby

CCosby Just got it firing!

My 2016 Audace passed last weekend. Took maybe an hour or hour and a half from the time I pulled in. Not sure as I just sat down at a table they have and read a book. No clue what they did to actually test it, most of the time was probability them waiting for an open bay to pull it into.

19. Didier

Didier Cruisin' Guzzisti

They don't know what to do, just like my dealer.

20. Mrmerlin

Mrmerlin Tuned and Synch'ed

My Eldorado passed muster, the tech says they take off the RF caliper put a wedge into the pads area then a feeler gauge into the back of the MC piston if the wedge pulls free after the MC feeler gauge is removed then the system is good, took about 45 mins