Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

Brake rotor pulsing - resolved

Discussion in 'BNS12 Reference Topics/Recalls' started by ncassidy, Nov 6, 2008.

1. azccj

azccj Cruisin' Guzzisti

Re: Re:brake rotor ?

Try EBC FA244HH pads, they are sintered. This is what I have been using on my Norge for the last 15K miles, best brakes ever and not a hint of pulsating.

2. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

Re: brake rotor ?

I have no doubt that some disks are truly warping, but some may be just suffering from buttons locking up or uneven pad deposits. I have not had any issues with mine and I sometimes use them quite hard, but as a rule I am not a heavy braking guy on the street.

3. Zapa

Zapa Cruisin' Guzzisti

Thanks for the tip! :D

4. greg

greg Tuned and Synch'ed

so what exactly are you doing in this picture to "loosen the rivets"?

5. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Do you see the hammer on the right side of the picture? Use one to strike the rivets to open up the gap. Mark where you start and get each in turn.

6. greg

greg Tuned and Synch'ed

very cool
    so just a smack, rotate, smack, rotate!

cheers!

7. Mackers

Mackers Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

How loose should they be? Can you rotate them with your fingers?

8. Zapa

Zapa Cruisin' Guzzisti

In their optimal state you should be able to rotate them with your fingers, yes.

9. xenarchi

xenarchi Cruisin' Guzzisti

the more my brakes pulse the harder i grab them. been doing it since the bike was new. figured fuck it, don't care. she stills stops good.

she is due for a big service after the winter. maybe I'll give the pads recommended above a try.

10. Mike.C

Mike.C GT Reference

Ha, they say great minds think alike...... :shock: I have been doing exactly the same, the bike stops on a dime so who cares if there is a bit of a shudder.

PS: yeah yeah yeah I know - fools seldom differ as well, but hey I'm happy.

11. loftyjohn

loftyjohn Cruisin' Guzzisti

HA HA

Me too :D

Ride it like you nicked it and use the brakes in the same manner :lol:

Loftyjohn

12. Roblatt

Roblatt High Miler

Me too!

13. guzzi jon

guzzi jon High Miler GT Contributor

I've got a few guzzi's, all the same brakes. Ride mostly too fast, and brake too hard, lots of hills and hard braking, no pulsing on any of them. the bikes have between 8K and 35K miles of the same style of riding. I had a number of japanese bikes warp rotors, but the guzzi's dont seem to for me. I use EBC HH pads, never wash the suckers, never do anything except replace the pads. I wonder if there any correlation between flatlanders (indiana Chuck) and hill/mountain riding.

14. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

There is. The harder you use the brakes, the less likely the chance of the pulsing. Hard braking keeps the rotor buttons moving, so no problems with a pulsing brake. When mine started to pulse, I found some good downhill runs and did some heavy braking to get thing moving freely. No pulsing since.

15. GrahamNZ

GrahamNZ High Miler

Ever since loosening the rotor mountings a squillion kiloclickeroons ago the brakes on my Breva are like silk. Smooth, sensitive and strong. And, yes, I am a hard braker. Brevas are more satisfying when being braked hard than when being accelerated hard. By comparison Buells are the opposite..........Brake hard and often is THE MESSAGE.

16. bruce_perler

bruce_perler Just got it firing!

My two cents ...

Bought a 2007 B11 in Seattle this September and took it on a long trip south along the Oregon / California coast (lots of turns and hills). Within 1000 miles the front brakes began to pulse - brake harder and they pulsed harder. Warped rotor(s) must have been the cause. I had the rotors replaced at the break in service about 2000 miles ago and they've been fine ever since. Given the number of posts on this topic, Brembo must have had some manufacturing problems in the rotors - speculation of course.

17. Chuck in Indiana

Chuck in Indiana Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Agreed. When my brakes started pulsing, it was after 2 days of riding in the rain in Nova Scotia.

18. GrahamNZ

GrahamNZ High Miler

Frequent hard braking has several advantages:

It ensures that the brake is working at its best.
    It helps the rider to learn the brakes' capabilities and how to stop quickly in an emergency.
    It prevents pad-material buildup on the discs, which gentle-use-only can cause, giving the impression of warped rotors.
    If helps keep the mounting rivets from siezing, impeding rotors from being semi-floating and self-aligning. As above.

Truly warped rotors are rare - unless you own a Buell with a ZTL front brake........

19. rturo

rturo Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Graham

Mine started pulsing (noticible at low brake pressures). Tried cleaning the discs and a dose of heavy braking but still there - not a safety issue as utimately I can stop fast when required but very annoying when slowing smoothly in traffic.

I already tried some gentle persuasion of the rivets while the discs are still fitted to the wheel. It created some movement where before there was none. However the pulsing hasnt gone and i'm guessing i didnt loosen them enough. Exactly how much "easing" did you give them rivets with that heavy hammer ? I looks like you attacked them from the back side ( :sick: ) is that just for for ease of mounting the discs/rotors on your jig or so the rivets fit in the sockets used?

If further easying of the rivets fails to cure it i will try your dial setup and see if it is down to warped disc or discs, though as you say this should be unlikely. My B11 is non-ABS and In my view the option of ABS means the discs specified should have been thoroughly tested to the limits when the ABS was tested so shouldnt be prone to warping.

Art

20. Roblatt

Roblatt High Miler

Art,

my B11 had the same symptoms as yours, annoying pulse at slow speed. Heavy breaking did cure mine, but it took a couple of weeks with constant heavy braking to cure the symptoms. If you only did it once or twice,, keep it up for a while just to try and save yourself some fiddling.

Robert