• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Brake/Tail Light alternates for stock fender

Richard Ducati

Tuned and Synch'ed
Okay, so I searched about and found tons of info on tidy tails/eliminating the rear fender on my 2014 V7 Special, but there was almost nil on viable alternatives for cleaning up the brake light area whilst retaining the stock rear fender. At some point I may eliminate the fender and go to the GT setup (love the under seat storage feature), but I already have a cafe' bike in my '04 Thruxton and am not looking to go that route at this stage.

Looking through the picture thread, I saw several machines with the stock taillight that had been cleaned up by trimming off material below the plate mount & eliminating the license plate light. What do folks do to light up the plate? It appears that my taillight lens has an area where a clear area may have been on earlier machines...or possibly a euro version of this taillight sans the plate light was offered? I figure I could always add one of Todd's LED plate frames, but would rather go minimalist if possible.

Then there is the option of replacing the entire brake/tail light unit. I would really dig something like the Lucas light that Pete installed on his earlier V7:

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/th...thread-add-your-bike.9108/page-27#post-118817

I'm wondering if there are any bolt on (or reasonably easy) options out there for retaining the stock rear fender but going custom on the taillight. On my triumph, there were bolt on options such at this one and figured I'd at least ask those who have likely forgotten more about these bikes than I will ever know!!

newbonneville.com/html/bolt_on_taillight.html

Thanks in advance for any input.

Regards,

--Rich

Last edited:
Do you have a little light for plate on the bottom of it? If so, take it off and put it up above. Can't remember if earlier models had a clear lens in the little square or not. Can look it up tomorrow.

S l1600 6
Do you have a little light for plate on the bottom of it? If so, take it off and put it up above.
Yes, the plate light could likely be reloacted....its #9 on this diagram and just bolts on below the plate holder:

harpermoto.com/parts-by-motorcycle/2010-2020-moto-guzzis/v7-special-stone-750-2012-2013/rear-body-ii-plate-holder-en-v7-special-stone-750-2012-2013.html

As you can see, though, there isn't really a tidy way of doing that. I'm more inclined to spend some $$s and get a LED plate frame, trim off the lower portion, and call it good for now. All I know is that there is a LOT going on with the stock setup!!

Well, I looked up tail light and its the same from 08 to present, it shows the little square from underneath. If you are good w/blade, cut it out & go to auto parts and get a flat clear plastic lens, trim to size, glue in place. then you need nothing.

Steve - Thanks for your thoughts. I'd considered cutting it out and doing what you suggested, but figured I'd do it right if there was an off-the-shelf lens out there. I might have to plough my own furrow on the lucas tail light install....

I must admit I am a bit surprised when I look at the cost of most aftermarket bits for these machines. I'm sure it has to do with the low volume involved, but things likes slip on exhausts, etc., run anywhere from 50% more to double the cost of what I am used to paying for upgrades to my Thruxton. Go figure.

Hi, Im a very recent 2013 V7 owner and I want exactly what this post is inquiring about. Did you manage to find a setup that fit the fendor or did you spend the extra cash for the liscence frame lights?

Hi, Im a very recent 2013 V7 owner and I want exactly what this post is inquiring about. Did you manage to find a setup that fit the fender or did you spend the extra cash for the license frame lights?

Actually I first bought the illuminated license plate frame and then later found an upgrade LED lamp on ebay offered by a german vendor (eBay item number: 132331848093) that came with a clear license plate illumination lens. The frame works well, but requires you trim the stock plate mount to fit the frame over it/your plate. The clear lamp lens for your stock taillight works, but the plate is actually angled such that the top of the license plate stands too proud of the tail light...ideally, one would trim down the stand offs on the backing plate and reduce the angle/tip the plate so it is better illuminated by the taillight.

Actually I first bought the illuminated license plate frame and then later found an upgrade LED lamp on ebay offered by a german vendor (eBay item number: 132331848093) that came with a clear license plate illumination lens. The frame works well, but requires you trim the stock plate mount to fit the frame over it/your plate. The clear lamp lens for your stock taillight works, but the plate is actually angled such that the top of the license plate stands too proud of the tail light...ideally, one would trim down the stand offs on the backing plate and reduce the angle/tip the plate so it is better illuminated by the taillight.

Thanks! I'll definitely take that into consideration. I shall definitely be defaulting back to your suggestion if I cant find a tail light configuration to replace the OEM setup. But If I am able to replace it, I still need turn signals. I like the Rizoma ones but they are a bit pricey for my taste. The size and look are perfect but I'm trying to find similar lower priced ones. By any chance would you be able to post a picture of your final setup?

Where did you get the Lucas tail light that fits the fender?
Always start by clicking on the STORE tab at the top of this page. We have a 600+ products there. Purchases support this site. Be sure to read the top paragraph in red above.

Always start by clicking on the STORE tab at the top of this page. We have a 600+ products there. Purchases support this site. Be sure to read the top paragraph in red above.

Thank you! I hadn't taken the time to read it until now. However I haven't been able to find any licence plate mounts in the store which I can attach the Lucas light which is sold there to. Also, I think the Lucas light won't fit on the 2013 V7 fender due to the angle of the product.

Last edited:
Back