Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Brakes upgrade for V1000 G5?

Discussion in 'Loop & Tonti' started by Frey, Sep 3, 2020.

1. Frey

Frey Tuned and Synch'ed

Put several hundred miles on the G5 since restoration was completed in March. I enjoy the upright riding position, generously padded stock seat, and the high, pulled-back handlebars; a counterpoint my V11 Lemans. I would describe the G5 as like riding a roto-tiller.

I have noticed that the brakes don't exactly inspire confidence. This model has Brembo F08s front (x2) and rear and utilizes linked brakes. Perhaps some of my feeling that the brakes are particularly soft has to do with the linked system.

So, what to do? Drilled rotors? Change master cylinders? Can F09s be used with significant benefit? De-link?

Thanks,

Frey

2. DeadEye

DeadEye Cruisin' Guzzisti

Hey !

You mentioned that it's just been rebuilt - I am guessing this would include the brake system :
    - Do you have soft feeling in the lever ?
    - Pads / rotor are clean and not contaminated with anything ?
    - Have you tried bleeding them again - and again ...

Drilled Rotors are supposed to dissipate Heat better - but you Loose Mass that absorbs heat.
    After significant / extreme heat cycles - you can get cracking at the holes. ( I'm not a fan )

Unless you're racing - I wouldn't think you'd not be over heating the brakes on the street.
    ( unlesss they are just Crappy brakes :) )

3. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Lean to ride the linked system by applying both had and foot brake at the same time. Also on cornering the linked comes in handy as you can come off the front while still applying rear and begin throttle up as you ease off the rear. Softer pads will make a difference. See what EBC has to offer. Their organic pads work well,

4. Frey

Frey Tuned and Synch'ed

Yes, the brake system has been overhauled. OEM masters, calipers and discs remain. Pads are new EBC, though, frankly, I can't remember which, but probably organic FA. I don't recall that the lever feels soft, but I'll note next ride. Pads and rotor are clean. I have not tried bleeding. Definitely not racing this one, so not worried about late braking; just slowing down more rapidly as might be necessary for road hazards.

5. Amboman

Amboman Cruisin' Guzzisti

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  6. DeadEye

DeadEye Cruisin' Guzzisti

^^^^^^
    That would probably be a good Idea - how old are the current Rubber brake lines ?
    ( or did you change them when you did the restoration )