Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Brammo Empulse

Discussion in '24-7 Lounge' started by Goodvibes, May 9, 2012.

1. Goodvibes

Goodvibes Cruisin' Guzzisti

http://www.brammo.com/home/

Not a bad looking electric bike; would you be interested in one? I bet the instant full-torque experience would take a bit getting used to.

2. Mi_ka

Mi_ka High Miler

What is interesting is the use of a 6 speed gearbox - pretty unusual for an EV

3. Rafael

Rafael GT Reference

A bit pricey for the range but the EV market has to start somewhere. The fuel savings are big. And one of these would have extended the life of my motor back when I was commuting, (for 15 years) 2 miles a day each way on my SP.

I'll have to test ride one someday. I just read a test ride report in CityBike Mag. One of the comments pointed to the lack of the ability of an EV to pull a wheelie. Looks like that's been achieved.

I didn't see an explanation of the 6sp g-box. Maybe it changes the torque characteristic or allows them to use a an smaller motor?

Since Piagio is in the scooter business they should get into the EVs if they haven't already.

4. Mi_ka

Mi_ka High Miler

I suppose it provides better acceleration at low speeds and also some engine braking as normal bikes.
    Maybe it even uses the flywheel effect of the motor to enhance stability when cornering hard, like normal bikes as well.
    But most probably, it just feels more like normal bikes enabling better engagement of the rider to his ride.

Anyway, looking forward to your test ride report!

5. Trout

Trout GT Reference

Most likely nobody is reading this post anymore but here goes:
    Electric motors operate most efficiently at a specific RPM range. Their torque is usually on the lower side of the RPM range. For electric vehicles this makes them great for low speed, quick response or pulling power (Golf Carts) but they top out very quickly. So you tend to "cruise" at max speed leaving no extra for passing. To get higher speeds it is necessary to be able to keep the motor at it's best RPM range then mechanically increase the RPM at the rear wheel. Don't be surprised if in the future EV transmissions will actually be a throw back to mini-bike / moped style "torque converters" where the primary pulley adjusted it's size according to engine speed. Kinda like changing a primary sprocket on a chain drive while riding! Just think like a 10 speed bike. By changing both primary & secondary pulley sizes you can increase / decrease vehicle speed without changing RPM. Let that old electric motor run at peak performance / efficiency and then control the final drive RPM. Sooner or later the old technology will become the new technology just follow the history of Moto Guzzi.