Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Breva 1100: 100,000 Mile Report

Discussion in 'BNS12 Chat & Tech' started by Chris Jessop, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Chris Jessop

Chris Jessop Cruisin' Guzzisti

Our Breva V1100 clocked up 100,000 miles on Saturday 12th September 2020. It is our second Moto Guzzi to reach this figure. My wife, Jane’s 2006 Breva 750 currently shows 130,399 miles and it is still going strong.

We have owned the Breva V1100 from new and took delivery from Moto Strada in Shipley, Yorkshire on the 27th August 2005. The machine has been used solely for pleasure rides/tours during holidays and at weekends. It has never been used for commuting or when there’s salt on the roads.

Cosmetically the machine is in excellent condition and it certainly does not look like it has covered 100,000 miles. There are the inevitable stone chips of course but except for greying paint on the front of the engine the overall finish has held up very well.

The engine, clutch, gearbox, shaft drive, CARC bevel drive unit and all electrical sensors are original components and apart from routine servicing and maintenance have remained untouched.

Up to 78,000 miles it was serviced by Moto Strada but after they closed, I have done all the service and maintenance work. When we first bought the machine, where appropriate I went round all the fasteners in corrosion prone locations and applied Copperslip to the threads. This has paid dividends throughout its life because I have not come across any seized fasteners.

Oil consumption is still negligible and average fuel consumption is 43/45 mpg.

The machine was sold with Metzeler Roadtec Z6’s fitted. They have proved to be an excellent touring tyre offering good grip and stability in all conditions. I have not felt the need to change brands or type. Rear tyres average 13,000 miles and front tyres average 18,000 miles.

Brake pads are EBC FA244HH front and FA181HH rear. Front pads usually last around 32,000 miles. I replaced the original Brembo rear pads at 75,260 miles when I fitted a new EBC rear disc. The original disc had developed a slight run-out and was a MOT advisory at that time. The front brake discs are still original.

During our ownership of the Breva V1100 I have also covered 70,000 miles on our 2008 Buell XB12X Ulysses and 7,500 miles on our 2019 Moto Guzzi V85TT. I’m 6ft 3” so both the Buell and V85 are better suited to me ergonomically than the Breva V1100 but I can ride it long distances without too many aches and pains. Tours of the UK and mainland Europe plus frequent visits to the Moto Guzzi factory in Mandello del Lario have proved it is a more than capable long-distance machine.

What has gone wrong in 100,000 miles? Extraordinarily little is the simple answer. I don’t know whether it is down to its relatively pampered existence or just good luck, but it just keeps going and seems to thrive on high miles. To date it has been supremely reliable.

The following details are taken from the machines service record:

4,996 miles CARC bevel drive unit replaced under warranty recall. (April 2006)

12,789 miles Guzzi heated grips fitted.

38,519 miles Mistral road legal silencer fitted.

53,933 miles Guzzi 1200 Sport windshield fitted.

64,409 miles Rear wheel hugger fitted.

70,092 miles OEM catalytic convertor replaced with Agostini ‘Y’ connector pipe.

70,691 miles Battery replaced with OEM Yuasa YTX20CH-BS. (August 2015, 10 years old)

75,260 miles Original rear brake disc replaced with EBC MD840.

86,953 miles Front/rear brake hoses and oil cooler hoses replaced with HEL hoses c/w stainless steel end fittings.

87,099 miles Mirrors replaced with NOS Guzzi units.

90,416 miles Front brake light switch replaced.

95,430 miles Petrol tank insulation mat and all breather hoses on the machine replaced.

Centre stand replaced with NOS Guzzi unit plus new springs.

Clutch hose replaced with HEL hose c/w stainless steel end fittings.

Clutch master cylinder refurbished, new lid and seal fitted.

Front wheel spindle/axle, spacers and wheel hub seals replaced.

Alternator belt, precautionary replacements:

35,898 miles August 2010

54,095 miles January 2013

84,124 miles August 2017

Pictures below taken 8th, 9th and 12th September 2020.

IMG_2750.JPG IMG_2756 (2).JPG IMG_2728.JPG IMG_2722.JPG IMG_2698.JPG IMG_2685.JPG

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    Ian Toy, StewNic, Bill Hagan and 6 others like this.
  2. Raven

Raven Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Fantastic reliability I'd say. That's a lot of combined miles with all those bikes. Do you ever drive 4 wheels? Other than nasty winter days that is.

3. DeadEye

DeadEye Cruisin' Guzzisti

That's a LOT of Miles of Smiles
    I was thinking how long it would take me to get there at maybe 8,000 Km a year - a long time.
    You have had yours for going 15 years now - many happy returns :party:

4. Chris Jessop

Thanks for the comments. We have a car but I rarely drive it, hate the things.

Bill Hagan likes this.
  5. Mackers

Mackers Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

You've changed the reaction rod, too. Is that for cosmetics?

6. Chris Jessop

The original reaction rod corroded quite badly. The replacement is an Italian made Rosso Puro unit and is far better quality. It was fitted at 69,558 miles in September 2014. Cost was 168 Euro.

Pictures taken 8th September 2020.

IMG_2682.JPG IMG_2689.JPG

Guzziguy59 likes this.
  7. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque Scott Mastrocinque GT Famiglia

I love posts like this! What a fantastic experience you have had. Congratulations!

8. Chris Jessop

Thanks, Scott, I think I can safely say that I've bonded with this motorcycle it's a keeper :inlove:.....

scottmastrocinque likes this.
  9. Davy

Davy Just got it firing!

It's interesting how different usage gives different results. My 2006 B11 has a youthful 62,500 miles on the clock and has worn out back tyres on average every 4000 miles, front discs at 48000, yet generally gets 50 - 55 mpg. What a good, reliable, comfortable bike. Roll on 100,00 miles.

Chris Jessop likes this.