Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

breva 1100 seat and tank not matching up

Discussion in 'BNS12 Chat & Tech' started by Ian Toy, May 20, 2019.

1. Ian Toy

Ian Toy Tuned and Synch'ed

The seat and tank don't match up. Where the seat goes up to the tank it does not fit correct,there is a gap.
    I have read that the plastic tanks can swell, I have tried every thing I can to adjust the seat and have put a thiner washer/spacer on the rubber tank rear mount to lower it abit which ment messing about with the side panels to fit right. It is better but still not right,what is the solution a replacement petrol tank. Spoils the look of the bike.

2. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

Can you post a picture? Trying to visualise what your problem is.
    But if the tank had swollen then it would come further back, and that would make the seat tighter not give a gap.

Guess how I know.

3. Ian Toy

4. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

The tank isn't the issue. The seat doesn't fit properly. Check the mount points for the seat.

5. Ian Toy

no the seat fits as it should. When I bought the bike the seat was not on the bike as the bike had been stood in a warehouse for years the side panels was not fitted . The fuel tank was about 1/4 full of looked like milky petrol and sludge.
    I remove the tank took fuel pump out ect to clean it out and had a big job to get tank back on as the rear mounting bolt would not line up. When I managed to get tank on the side panels did not line up and as you can see the seat does not either.
    the bike had only done 12000 miles with the service history to back it up. It now runs great and once cleaned up is like new bike expect the tank and seat.unless the seat at the front has gone out of shape as well.

6. Raven

Raven Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Was the seat stored standing on it's nose or supported at the front? It looks tipped up at the front causing the misalignment.

7. Ian Toy

if I remember it was stood on it end lent up against the bike. Think had been stood at the back of warehouse for a good few years ,it had that much dust on it i could hardly tell what colour the bike was ,thought it was red till I managed to get it outside and it is a burnt orange.

8. Raven

Raven Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Once you get it out in the hot sun, it may soften and return to it's original shape.

9. freshbreva

freshbreva Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

I also had trouble getting the bolt hole to line up at the back of the tank. Many have told me it's the effect that ethanol has on the tank. It's very likely causing the bad fit for the saddle as well.

Ron

Bill Hagan likes this.
  10. Ian Toy

yeah I think you are right

11. Bill Hagan

Bill Hagan GT Reference GT Famiglia

Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
    Mine suffered from similar swelling.

I curse ethanol several times a day. :swear:

Finally surrendered and bought a used tank.

My plan is to swap 'em out every year or so, with the recently removed one well-rinsed and allowed to dry.

Best wishes,

Bill

12. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Or once the tank shrinks back, install an ethanol resistant liner. and quit swapping. When I have to I use a scissors jack and block of wood to get the tank bolt to line up.