• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breva 1200 cylinders on an 1100 sport ?

paul ginis

Just got it firing!
Hello,
Can I fit Breva 1200 cylinders (95mm bore) on my 1100 Sport i.e. (92mm bore) or is the distance between the studs different?
Thanks for your advice
Paul

Hi Andy,
I measured 60mm center-to-center between all barrel studs, the piston wrist pin diameter is the same at 22mm……an easy conversion ?
Thx,
Paul

the studs are indeed 60mm between centres on a 120mm PCD (pitch circle diameter)
wrist pin is 22mm dia x 58mm long, cylinder bore is 95mm dia.
barrel dia that locates in crankcase is 102.5mm , guessing here because my 200mm calipers cannot quite measure the dia as their throat is only 50mm
length of dia that is located in crank case 52.5mm
Length of barrel out side of crankcase 78.8mm

Looks like it could work

Last edited:
Wow Andy, great stuff, how accurate can you be?
That looks like an easy job, boring out the crankcase and double-checking the piston-to-head and piston-to-valve clearance, but that's std practice!
Thx a lot, Andy, I'll keep you posted!
Paul

Wow Andy, great stuff, how accurate can you be?
Paul

Being an engineer (toolmaker) can help sometimes.
I could give you better dimensions but I guess you are just looking to see if its viable......so what's 4 thou between friends.
you'll be getting the barrels yourself and machine to suit.

easiest way of checking deck height of pistons, mount an old and new piston together on the same wrist pin.

If you're having the crank case machined, then get the whole lot balanced while its apart.
Most Guzzi's I've owned were smoothest at 140kph, last one I rebuilt I had the crank balanced for whatever RPM coincided at 115kph, as I like to cruise between 110-120kph.

Also lightening the fly wheel first by just drilling a pattern of holes, reducing weight by 25% made a huge difference. Twas a sweet 850 Le Mans that one ................................

Last edited:
Hi Andy and Wayne,
My 1100 Sport barrels are longer at 79,5mm but I wanted to tighten up the squish clearance anyway, just looking at the combustion chambers you can see the squish band is not working at all. I'll order the 1200 Sport pistons and barrels and check all the clearances.
Any idea how tight I can go on the squish clearance ? Cylinderhead modification is next on the list…..
Thx lads!
Paul

closing it to 1mm is the norm for a street machine, still safe.
Going down to .8mm is still within boundaries, but you need to be careful. Rod stretch/ expansion etc.

Changing barrel heights, don't forget pushrod lengths.

Also somebody here advertised Carillo rods yesterday, worth a look.

closing it to 1mm is the norm for a street machine, still safe.
Going down to .8mm is still within boundaries, but you need to be careful. Rod stretch/ expansion etc.

Changing barrel heights, don't forget pushrod lengths.

Also somebody here advertised Carillo rods yesterday, worth a look.

Hi. Just something to think about : 1200 pistons have a higher piston pin location on account of that engine's longer stroke and rod length so with a Sport 1100 rod the piston will be lower in the cylinder. (offhand I think the rod is 144mm for the 1200 and the Sport is 140mm). You may need to trim the cylinder base to account for this.

Last edited:
That's some very relevant information ! Trimming the cylinder base is no problem, plenty of meat there, but with the 140mm rod the rod angularity will be different from the 144mm rod…...

That's some very relevant information ! Trimming the cylinder base is no problem, plenty of meat there, but with the 140mm rod the rod angularity will be different from the 144mm rod…...

I doubt it would make much difference though trimming the cylinder will bring the spigot lower into the crankcase. That will be worth checking regarding rod angularity and crank weight throw.

Cometic gaskets here in the States can produce copper head gaskets in varying thicknesses. Stock Guzzi 95mm gaskets compress to thicker than 1mm. Let me know if you need help sourcing (I just built a 95mm bore race engine).

102mm spigot diameter leaves very little meat for gasket sealing. I think Guzzi addressed this by using locating 'dowels' on the cylinders and heads to avoid any 'movement'. Also I think 1200 oil return holes are bigger. Not trying to state any of this is fact. Just random thoughts………..

easiest way of checking deck height of pistons, mount an old and new piston together on the same wrist pin. (said that earlier)

If you are building a bit of a hot rod engine, and piston deck height is altered, do some very careful research with regard to conrod lengths. Altering the rod/stroke ratio changes the rate of deceleration/acceleration of the piston as it passes top dead centre. This intern can effect induction pulses and port air speed. With higher reving engines you may gain HP, but with lower rpms you may loose the torque you would have gained from the bigger bore. It's all theory .......................................

Just to add more info……

I just received a set of 1200 pistons and cylinders I bought on ebay. The oil return holes are bigger and moved outboard so to use them on a V11 block would require machining of the case to match (dowel holes would have to be machined into the block too. Not sure deleting the dowels would be a good idea ). The V11 head return holes would be mostly blocked too.

The 1200 piston has a tapered squish area so a V11 head squish area would need to be machined to set squish clearance.

I think after all the messing around finding a used 1200 engine to drop in may be a better way to go :)

Interestingly the piston dome has similar dimensions to a mid valve piston. The piston dome measures 29cc according to my rough calculations. The longer stroke and bigger bore allow this smaller dome while achieving the 9.8:! stated compression.

After looking at some calculators I'm thinking a 95mm x 80mm, mid valve head with 11.5:1 compression could be very interesting. Especially as the combustion chamber would need to be enlarged to keep the comp ratio at reasonable levels thus allowing room for bigger valves….

Thanks for the information !
The oil return holes on my 1100 sport are 7mm dia with 72mm c-to-c distance, there are no locating dowels…..

Just to add more info……

The 1200 piston has a tapered squish area so a V11 head squish area would need to be machined to set squish clearance.

I think after all the messing around finding a used 1200 engine to drop in may be a better way to go :)
If you are talking about dropping a newer CARC 1200 motor in a V11 you will have to figure out a work-around for the alternator. The CARC motors have the alternator up high in the crook of the V and I would think it would interfere with the spine frame.

Good point…. I know a vintage Ducati alternator can be made to fit the crank of the newer models but that's a racing mod. It only put out 200 watts I believe. (a V11 timing cover can then be used).

Back