• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breva 1200 cylinders on an 1100 sport ?

I know this was a long time ago, but has anyone successfully done this now?

It is not an easy swap.
Why?
From the information in this thread, it doesn’t seem too difficult. I just wondered if it’s been done successfully and if anyone is running/racing one reliably.
I just wondered if it was worth me looking into for my racing sidecar, which is currently 1064cc.

Why?
From the information in this thread, it doesn’t seem too difficult. I just wondered if it’s been done successfully and if anyone is running/racing one reliably.
I just wondered if it was worth me looking into for my racing sidecar, which is currently 1064cc.

It’s easier to use your existing Sport 1100 case, use 100mm OD steel liners, bore the spigot hole in the case slightly and use either the 1200 95mm pistons or spec custom pistons from CP to the desired comp ratio. If you look at the pictures I posted you’ll see differing gasket surfaces. The gasket surfaces between head and barrel are also different on the 1200 motor. Yes it could be made to work but as Todd said it’s not an easy swap.

I’ve reliably raced a V11 based 95mm x 80mm motor that’s 90 rwhp using steel liners and custom 95mm pistons @ 11.5 :1. ( mid valve motor if you’re wondering why only 90 rwhp).

I’ve had 1200 heads, pistons and cylinders in my hands and realized it’s too much trouble to try to make work.

Even if you successfully used the 1200 pistons you’ll be struggling to get much more than 9.8 :1 which isn’t particularly desirable for racing.

l know some Norwegian guys are using complete 1200 motors in endurance racing. 1200 motors are a couple thousand dollars on eBay. Cheapest 85hp you can buy. Lovely motors.

I have been on this road for a while now! Finally went with the 1200 cases, crank, rods, pistons and heads. Been trying to engineer up some kind of adapter for the crank mounted alternator to go with the V11 front cover! Still in progress, LOL! Wound up with a couple of 41mm DellOrtos and some modified 1200 Norge intakes. If I can figure out the alternator, I will get this thing on the road. I set the squish up at .080, should have about 11:1 if my numbers are correct. I sent the heads and cylinders over to Germany and had them "rounded", with the 850 LeMans valve covers this should be a real street sleeper!

It’s easier to use your existing Sport 1100 case, use 100mm OD steel liners, bore the spigot hole in the case slightly and use either the 1200 95mm pistons or spec custom pistons from CP to the desired comp ratio. If you look at the pictures I posted you’ll see differing gasket surfaces. The gasket surfaces between head and barrel are also different on the 1200 motor. Yes it could be made to work but as Todd said it’s not an easy swap.

I’ve reliably raced a V11 based 95mm x 80mm motor that’s 90 rwhp using steel liners and custom 95mm pistons @ 11.5 :1. ( mid valve motor if you’re wondering why only 90 rwhp).

I’ve had 1200 heads, pistons and cylinders in my hands and realized it’s too much trouble to try to make work.

Even if you successfully used the 1200 pistons you’ll be struggling to get much more than 9.8 :1 which isn’t particularly desirable for racing.

l know some Norwegian guys are using complete 1200 motors in endurance racing. 1200 motors are a couple thousand dollars on eBay. Cheapest 85hp you can buy. Lovely motors.
Sorry to bring this up again, but you say to use steel liners, do you mean steel or cast iron?
What rings do you run with Steel or iron liner, can you use the standard rings?
Thanks steve

Sorry to bring this up again, but you say to use steel liners, do you mean steel or cast iron?
What rings do you run with Steel or iron liner, can you use the standard rings?
Thanks steve

Hi. My terminology is wrong. I use LA Sleeve cast iron liners. Regarding rings I'm not sure you can use stock rings as they are designed for Nikasil.That info may be in Guzziology. I spec CP pistons for 'cast' liners so they provide whatever is necessary. BTW LA Sleeve will do the reserving for you if you send a set of cylinders.

Back