Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Breva 1200 cylinders on an 1100 sport ?

Discussion in 'Spine' started by paul ginis, Jan 4, 2015.

1. guzzigray

guzzigray Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Couple pictures here:

1200 cylinder on the left and a 1200 base gasket on a Cali/V11 case.

IMG_8998.JPG IMG_8993.jpg

2. kompost

kompost Just got it firing!

I know this was a long time ago, but has anyone successfully done this now?

3. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

It is not an easy swap.

4. kompost

kompost Just got it firing!

Why?
    From the information in this thread, it doesn’t seem too difficult. I just wondered if it’s been done successfully and if anyone is running/racing one reliably.
    I just wondered if it was worth me looking into for my racing sidecar, which is currently 1064cc.

5. guzzigray

guzzigray Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

It’s easier to use your existing Sport 1100 case, use 100mm OD steel liners, bore the spigot hole in the case slightly and use either the 1200 95mm pistons or spec custom pistons from CP to the desired comp ratio. If you look at the pictures I posted you’ll see differing gasket surfaces. The gasket surfaces between head and barrel are also different on the 1200 motor. Yes it could be made to work but as Todd said it’s not an easy swap.

I’ve reliably raced a V11 based 95mm x 80mm motor that’s 90 rwhp using steel liners and custom 95mm pistons @ 11.5 :1. ( mid valve motor if you’re wondering why only 90 rwhp).

I’ve had 1200 heads, pistons and cylinders in my hands and realized it’s too much trouble to try to make work.

Even if you successfully used the 1200 pistons you’ll be struggling to get much more than 9.8 :1 which isn’t particularly desirable for racing.

l know some Norwegian guys are using complete 1200 motors in endurance racing. 1200 motors are a couple thousand dollars on eBay. Cheapest 85hp you can buy. Lovely motors.

V700Steve likes this.
  6. gyrorex

gyrorex Tuned and Synch'ed GT Famiglia

I have been on this road for a while now! Finally went with the 1200 cases, crank, rods, pistons and heads. Been trying to engineer up some kind of adapter for the crank mounted alternator to go with the V11 front cover! Still in progress, LOL! Wound up with a couple of 41mm DellOrtos and some modified 1200 Norge intakes. If I can figure out the alternator, I will get this thing on the road. I set the squish up at .080, should have about 11:1 if my numbers are correct. I sent the heads and cylinders over to Germany and had them "rounded", with the 850 LeMans valve covers this should be a real street sleeper!

7. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

I have one, email me direct; info at guzzitech.com

V700Steve likes this.
  8. gyrorex

gyrorex Tuned and Synch'ed GT Famiglia

Email on the way!!