• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breva 750, Ignition problems? Anyone?

jcburris

Just got it firing!
First, thanks to all that replied to my last thread, I have synched throttle bodies and reset TPS with the VDST, it runs MUCH better now, but I still have in intermittent problem, the bike will run correct for awhile, and then will die upon letting the throttle snap shut, sometimes it wont take throttle, tach is intermittent as well. sounds more ignition related, the miss-fire is sharp and not dull like its fuel related. It also has an occasional miss at idle, any suggestions?

I have looked at the wiring schematic, looks at the ECU fires the coils directly? No separate ignitor? I have checked all the connections, tapped on the relays, general troubleshooting stuff

Thanks AGAIN

CHRIS

The tach is an indicator. I'd clean every electrical connector with a good contact cleaner that I can get to. Start with the ECU, coil control connections, and connection to the dash. Most electrical problems with a Guzzi can be remedied by cleaning up all the electrical connections.

John, I have been through the wiring with a fine tooth comb, everything was good, I am starting to think the ECU is the problem, my experience with them is either they work or not. Has anyone out there had a problem with an ECU that resulted in a poor running bike? The problem really moves around, from a occasional miss at idle to running 100% correct, to almost not running at all, and becoming really lean in the lower RPM, to a point that is will mis-fire and glow the head pipes red, you can give it some throttle and it will clear out sometimes and go back to running correctly... This bike is really clean and nice, it has not sat outside, and has only 5k miles on it, here is what I have checked:

(1) Fuel tank, clean and new gas
(2) all wiring connections, clean
(3) Ignition pickup, tried another one, gap correct
(4) TPS, smooth sweep using meter and VDST confirms this
(5) new plugs
(6) throttle bodies synch, TPS set
(7) Relays "tap" tested while running as well as ECU
(8) All ground points, and ECU ground wires checked and cleaned

I hope I have missed something.....

Anybody have a good ECU??

Thanks Again
CHRIS

The VDST will give an error message if the ECU is bad. ECUs are expensive, even if used, so don't go buying one yet.

I can't think of what the issue might be. With luck, the problem will become constant, and not intermittent, so you can really find out the cause.

Joe

sign216 said:
The VDST will give an error message if the ECU is bad. ECUs are expensive, even if used, so don't go buying one yet.

I can't think of what the issue might be. With luck, the problem will become constant, and not intermittent, so you can really find out the cause.

Joe

Actually , VDSTS may not tell you. It reads the software,inputs, and outputs not the hardware under operation. Evey bad ECU (replacing the ECU after eliminating any other possibility) has corrected the running problem encountered. Also every ECU I've replaced gives no indication of being bad either with VDSTS or on Todd's computer for reprogramming. I believe it is a hardware component that goes flaky and software can't pick it up.

VDST picked up an ECU problem for me. But I wouldn't be surprised if it missed issues on other ECUs too.

There was a fellow on this board, who's Breva had intermittent problems too. I think he found that a fuel injector wasn't fully seated, but I could be wrong. Just another thing to think about.

OK, the saga continues, I thought I would take one more look at everything before I bought another ECU. The sticker on the ECU was unreadable, after a close inspection, the ECU had a sticker over the Marelli label, the worn sticker appeared to have a Moto Guzzi logo on it, and some unreadable text. I removed the worn sticker and found the Marelli sticker It says V11 MY2003Cat, IAW15RC.C9, 61601.049.01 IS this the wrong ECU? Did Moto Guzzi ever re-program and re label ECUs ??

Thanks Again !!

CHRIS

jcburris said:
Did Moto Guzzi ever re-program and re label ECUs ??

Thanks Again !!

CHRIS

Yes they have. Many of the 2000 Jackals in the US have a sticker on them for a Quota. The maps for the two bikes are very different. About every Quota delivered to the US had their ECU replaced under warranty for a defective barometric pressure sensor. It is my theory, these ECUs were repaired and re-programmed for use in Jackals. Also be sure to eliminate all other causes before you purchase another ECU. If possible see if you can get a loan of one to see if it does take care of the problem.

jcburris said:
OK, the saga continues, I thought I would take one more look at everything before I bought another ECU. The sticker on the ECU was unreadable, after a close inspection, the ECU had a sticker over the Marelli label, the worn sticker appeared to have a Moto Guzzi logo on it, and some unreadable text. I removed the worn sticker and found the Marelli sticker It says V11 MY2003Cat, IAW15RC.C9, 61601.049.01 IS this the wrong ECU? Did Moto Guzzi ever re-program and re label ECUs ??

Thanks Again !!

CHRIS

Don't recognize your problems, but referring to the ECU, is this what my '03 Breva says:

2741728058_8be0f2f9c0.jpg

WELL IT IS FINALLY FIXED !! I E-Bay'd a replacement ECU, upon installing it and setting the TPS, it ran better, alot better but still strange, would die sometimes, would not take throttle from idle, occasional miss at hot idle, just flakey symptoms that would come and go, but a whole lot better and different from before. I was pulling my hair out on this one! This bike had had the orig motor replaced with one form Guzzi, previous owner said it never ran right after that, and I bought it that way...I had swapped the pickup coil from the old motor early on, when I did the seal stayed in the block, I removed the O ring from the other pickup and swapped them, no change, so I swapped them back. I had seen in the service manual about the checking the gap between the sensor and phonic wheel (toothed wheel) thinking the wheel might be loose or something, I removed the sensor again, used a depth micrometer to measure to the wheel, and measured the sensor, and the gap was good (1.02mm) however, this time i picked the o ring out of the block, and found there were TWO O rings installed !!! This would not allow the pickup coil to seat completely, they were glued together with sealer, I believe they were factory installed that way, removed one O ring, installed pickup coil, and runs perfectly.......

I had similar symptons on my Breva and it turned out to be one of the coils. It was intermittent for ages, bad running, idling, EFI light on etc but no fault code showing when the dealer looked at it.
Eventually the coil failed completely, firing on only one cylinder and the EFI light was on permanently. I carried on riding for a mile or two and ruined the chrome on the silencer on the cylinder that was working - overheated.
I suggest buying or borrowing one coil and swapping them around.

Back