• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breva 750 Oil Drain Plug

Facade

Tuned and Synch'ed
I'm in trouble!

Just came to do an oil change, so I removed both drain plugs.

The small rear plug has a magnet on it, which I cleaned ok.
The large front plug has (had :oops: ) a brass extension, which I thought contained a magnet, so I tried to clean it, and I hooked a rubbery gunge, so naturally I pulled it out.
This left two metal plates rattling round inside, so I pulled it apart, as I don't want them to come out in the works later on.

No sign of a magnet :shock:

Looking into the hole, it doesn't seal on anything.

Should I put it back without the loose extension?
Put the extension back empty?
Turn a brass plug out of solid to replace it full?

Anyone know what it was supposed to do?
Why were there two steel plates inside?

Attachments

• bung.jpg
    bung.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 698
This is the oil drain plug that has been in use since about 1975. The two steel plates you removed are your magnets. Leave the bits out you removed and use the plug. Since you have taken it apart, you don't want to put it back together and take the chance of it coming apart once installed.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've been poring over the workshop manual, the large plug appears to be in the oil pickup tube, fed through the mesh filter in the bottom of the sump, I can't think of a reason for replacing the extension, unless it did something to the oil flow at high speed and prevented the pump running dry.

The metal plates are definitely not magnetised, they won't stick to anything steel anyway.
It occurred to me that the "rubbery gunge" was some sort of magnet that I cleverly removed: (I didn't like the idea of some gunge on the end of the plug, and once I started pulling it, things just got worse. :oops:)

You can buy a new plug or not. Early Guzzis (pre 850-T) just had the plug without the magnet. They seemed to do OK, heck, they didn't even have oil filters!!

john zibell said:
You can buy a new plug or not. Early Guzzis (pre 850-T) just had the plug without the magnet. They seemed to do OK, heck, they didn't even have oil filters!!

- but a 3000 km oil change interval. ;) :mrgreen:

I've also been wondering about that plug, but I wouldn't hesitate to use the plug without the inserts. One magnet alone should do the job. It's not a shallow flow of oil in there, when the motor is running. :)

I got it! The inserts are the sludge trap! The happy 60's answer to the oil filter!x :woohoo: B)

I think the magnet is now in your oil pan. I had one come apart (apparently common) and was in a bazillion pieces on the screen of a big block. (!!!) I'd be pulling the pan and finding out what is going on.

My plug also fell apart but I bought a new magnetic plug from my Guzzi spares stockist that was magnetic but of a different design.

Possibly my magnet was loose at the service, so the nice service monkey threw it away and bunged up the hole with sealant :roll:

I certainly couldn't see it in the hole, if it has disintegrated it must be stuck to the steel oil pump rotors :shock:

If it fell out it wouldn't have bunged the hole up by itself.

There wasn't anything stuck to the oil filter when I changed it.

I'll just wait for something to go bang......... :unsure:

Facade said:
Possibly my magnet was loose at the service, so the nice service monkey threw it away and bunged up the hole with sealant :roll:

I certainly couldn't see it in the hole, if it has disintegrated it must be stuck to the steel oil pump rotors :shock:

If it fell out it wouldn't have bunged the hole up by itself.

There wasn't anything stuck to the oil filter when I changed it.

I'll just wait for something to go bang......... :unsure:

Don't think it will be stuck into the oil pump. There's a filter inbetween, namely the screenfilter seen here

270185430_fdcfde086a.jpg

Demount the sump, and clean it out. Fill with fresh oil, and calm your soul. ;)

The plug I'm on about is the one that is on the front of the sump, in your picture it is at the bottom of the oil pickup pipe, so any bits will get sucked up into the pump, as it is on the wrong side of the strainer.. I would have expected the magnet to be in one piece though.

Can't hurt to drop the sump though, I will have to back order a sump gasket (like I had to back order the oil filter :eek: )

You got a dilemma here.
If you order the gasket you won't need it, as the sump will come off easily. But if you don't, the gasket will be torn.. :mrgreen:

Back