• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breva 750 stalls after ignition and cant idle

smithwas

Just got it firing!
Hi all -

My 2004 Breva 750 sat in the garage for the last two years. Fired it up once last summer rode around the block without any problems and thats it. Last week I finally got around to replacing the battery and firing it up again. I added a couple gallons of fuel (it was basically dry) and then proceeded to start. Flipped the kill switch and saw the efi light turn on and heard the fuel pump. I pressed the ignition and it starts for a brief second but wont stay running, no matter how much throttle I give. In fact the only way to get any ignition at all is to flip the kill switch back to off and then on again. Same results repeated over and over. I finally gave up and took it to the top of a hill and got it going from a rolling start. But no matter how much I ride it around the neighborhood as soon as I let the rpm's get too low or try to idle in neutral it dies. Even after riding for a solid 10 mins sometimes giving full throttle without any performance problems, if the rpms goes too low or gets anywhere close to idle it stalls, and if i try to fire it up while at a stop it will fire for a second and then immediately stall again. Any thoughts or suggestions... my tech experience is basically nill but I'm hoping to get my hands a little dirty before deciding to make the 1.5 hr drive to the nearest shop.

Neglect is a terrible thing. She is getting even with you. Now, find a really good injector cleaner. Put the appropriate amount in the fuel and take her for a ride. There is a good possibility it will help your current condition. If it doesn't, you may need to remove the injectors and send them to a facility that reconditions them.

Remove the plugs and take a look, to see if you're overly lean or rich.

If really lean, then it could be fouled injectors. I had mine cleaned recently by R.C. Engineering of California http://www.rceng.com/Fuel-Injector-Cleaning-P43C0.aspx
It was good to get their before and after report, and the whole service wasn't too expensive.

But....it could really be a multitude of things.

I hate to suggest taking it to a dealer, but hooking up a scan tool should point out the problem right away. Some Guzzi riders have the consumer version of the scan tool, sold by Technoresearch, called the Vehicle Diagnostic Scan Tool (VDST). You might see if anyone in your area has it.

Joe

sign216 said:
Some Guzzi riders have the consumer version of the scan tool, sold by Technoresearch, called the Vehicle Diagnostic Scan Tool (VDST). You might see if anyone in your area has it.
Thanks Joe, the VDST is now called Centurion, and I sell it right here, on this site, on the Store tab above.
I doubt it would turn up anything, but it certainly couldn't hurt. It's likely a fuel delivery issue.

Thanks guys for the comments. I'm going to start the easy way and buy some fuel injector cleaner. But if that doesnt work I want to take out the fuel injectors. Anyone have tips on tackling this. I have downloaded the repair manual found online, which shows location of fuel injectors, but very little on what I will need to be able to get them out.

wade

smithwas said:
Thanks guys for the comments. I'm going to start the easy way and buy some fuel injector cleaner. But if that doesnt work I want to take out the fuel injectors. Anyone have tips on tackling this. I have downloaded the repair manual found online, which shows location of fuel injectors, but very little on what I will need to be able to get them out.

wade

The injectors or the 750 are easy to remove. Disconnect the electrical connector, the fuel line, then remove the screw that holds the injector in the throttle body. They come out easily and there is plenty of room to work.

Hi everyone,

If i could restart this thread with some updates. I had the fuel injectors cleaned, they werent in terrible condition, prob good to get them cleaned, but this didnt fix the problem. As I've talked with more people on this issue, I've been told that I made a mistake putting ethanol fuel into the system, and then letting it sit, as this will screw up the carburetors and fuel lines. I have ordered a replacement fuel filter and waiting for that to arrive. Any other thoughts?

could be the throttle position snesor sticking have you a dealer handy rather than mess with it ?
sometimes you can end up dismantling things for no reason
fresh fuel and filter, check the air filter is not damaged ( damp ) clean the plugs gently make sure that the inlet and exhaust valves are not sticking open damp air sometimes causes a ridge of rust on the part of the valve that runs in the guide easy enough to check turn the engine over with rocker covers off and in gear with plugs removed using the back wheel, check you have sufficient valve clearance inc ase one has closed up
more likely to be something simple
can you obtain a code reader ? this will tell you what the EFI system is doing

smithwas said:
Hi everyone,

If i could restart this thread with some updates. I had the fuel injectors cleaned, they werent in terrible condition, prob good to get them cleaned, but this didnt fix the problem. As I've talked with more people on this issue, I've been told that I made a mistake putting ethanol fuel into the system, and then letting it sit, as this will screw up the carburetors and fuel lines. I have ordered a replacement fuel filter and waiting for that to arrive. Any other thoughts?
I use fuel with ethanol in it (10%) all the time. It does get blamed for a lot of issues but since not everybody who uses it has all the issues reported I am not sure how much is from the ethanol. I have few if any issues with ethanol fuel.
The mistake you made was not prepping the bike to sit a long period of time. There are additives for the fuel that can prevent most if not all the issues that often result from letting an internal combustion engine sit for long periods of time. By the way, you obviously do not have carbs so the ethanol cannot screw up your carbs. But you could have ethanol or varnish from the old gas issues in your fuel system. That could be gunking up the fuel pump, the fuel filter, or even the fuel lines. You have already cleaned the injectors, right.
You could also have issues with a stuck piston ring or the like that results in low compression. Low compression could also cause a motor to not idle.
It could also be a basic set up/tune issue.

GuzziMoto said:
smithwas said:
I have few if any issues with ethanol fuel.
The mistake you made was not prepping the bike to sit a long period of time. There are additives for the fuel that can prevent most if not all the issues that often result from letting an internal combustion engine sit for long periods of time. But you could have ethanol or varnish from the old gas issues in your fuel system. That could be gunking up the fuel pump, the fuel filter, or even the fuel lines.
You could also have issues with a stuck piston ring or the like that results in low compression. Low compression could also cause a motor to not idle.
It could also be a basic set up/tune issue.

I use ethanol gas in my Breva750 all the time without any issues. I agree that the issue has a lot to do with how the bike was stored and what the stored fuel did to your pump, filter and lines...good luck!

Although based only on carbureted Guzzis ( '67 V-700, '73 Ambassador, '81 G-5, and 2 '86 Cal II's), in addition to checking for an air leak, I would also suggest doing a compression check. A stuck or burnt valve could show up as a possible explanation for the poor idle and would be revealed by the compression check.

Back