• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breva/NorgeTank Removal and fuel line disconnect

Mike.C

High Miler
I have had a PM request to post this up again, third time lucky!

The following is Courtesy of Graham In NZ from the old/old/old board - IMO worth repeating. The Norge is for most purposes the same but there are sure to be some differences because of your extra plastic bits.

Breva fuel tank removal

This is a prick of a task and ridiculously complex and time consuming. Also best done with a nearly empty tank. Apart from the number of parts needing to be undone or removed, the main problems are the reluctant “quickly detachable”fuel line connector and then what to do with the tank once off the bike.

I’ve removed a lot of tanks from a lot of bikes and the Breva’s would rate up there with the worst of them, which is why I raise it but don’t remove it when adjusting the tappets. The tank is a piss poor effort, maintenance-wise IMHO. Anyway here’s the method I use.

• Best to remove the front plastic panel above the oil cooler. That involves removing only one dome nut more than removing just the four screws which connect the panel to the tank side wings.
• Remove the plastic body panels at the rear of the tank and below the seat both sides. Screw at the back. Push in plug lower front. Lug up under tank upper front.
• Disconnect the tank vent and filler cap drain lines from the plastic T-union.
• Disconnect the tank electrical lead plug.
• Remove the rear of tank fixing bolt.
• Raise the rear of the tank and support it on a block of wood.

• Disconnect the fuel hose coupling. Be careful with the fuel connector, if you've not done it before, it is tricky. It works like a compressed air hose coupling. Push the hose towards the red elbow fitting and at the same time wiggle the grey collar back towards the hose. When it releases it will slide off easily. Refitting is very easy as the hose just pushes on and snaps into the locked position. With the hose removed the red plastic elbow is meant to be fuel tight but it isn’t completely so.

And another explanation: With left hand hold the 90 degree bend fixed flexibly to the tank base plate. With the right hand grip the hose between your middle to small fingers palm and push it towards the 90 degree bend, and at the same time with your right thumb and forefinger pull the grey collar back, all the while wiggling the thing a bit. A prick of a thing really, but it does come off with courage. Once off the stupid hose end still dribbles a bit so it's best to do it with an almost empty tank and then to place the tank down with the rear end raised a bit as if ready for mating doggy style.

• Lower the rear of the tank then pull the tank backwards and then up a bit and off the bike. It helps if a helper can spread the tank side wings a bit to clear things.
• If the tank is set down on a flat surface some fuel will drip from the red elbow fitting. If the tank is placed upside down fuel will seep from the filler cap and the fuel level sending unit may stick it the full position. The best position for the tank is nose down onto a support under the tank proper just behind the steering head and the tank set up at about 45 degrees and supported at the rear. I use a wall for that and a wooden stool for the nose.

Re:Breva Fuel Tank Removal and fuel line disconnect

Mike.C wrote:
Breva fuel tank removal

This is a prick of a task and ridiculously complex and time consuming. Also best done with a nearly empty tank. Apart from the

• Disconnect the fuel hose coupling. Be careful with the fuel connector, if you've not done it before, it is tricky. It works like a compressed air hose coupling. Push the hose towards the red elbow fitting and at the same time wiggle the grey collar back towards the hose. When it releases it will slide off easily. Refitting is very easy as the hose just pushes on and snaps into the locked position. With the hose removed the red plastic elbow is meant to be fuel tight but it isn’t completely so.

-Adding a pic of the bugger.

1024754255_7c017305ef_b.jpg

-and you may have to use a nose plier to push the grey collar backwards. Very tight in there - that at least goes for the 750!

If done it almost like you explained Mike, but as soon as it got into the "doggystyle mating" position, I lost all my concentration .. :p
Now I leave it to my dealer to fix it.:unsure:

But thanks for posting, it's better to know on forehand then to find out yourself by trail and error.

I have read that the pressure in the line can make removal more difficult, and if you disconnect the fuel pump, then try to start the bike, the resulting reduction in pressure in the pipe helps.
When I was struggling, I did this, and the pipe seemed then to just come off. But of course it might just have been that I got my fingers in the right place.
Can't help thinking that better quick release couplings are available.
And watch the red plastic elbow, it can be quite fragile so I have heard.

Funny thing: It seems that every connector is a bit different. What I mean is that I was able to get the connector to pop apart on my Norge pretty easily. My LeMans took a bit more effort. Jans Nevada, well, I have not been able to get that one to release regardless of how hard I tried. Pretty frustrating really. No doubt there is some tool out there that would squeeze the connector together to allow the catches to release. Note to self: Gotta find that tool!

Zoom Zoom,
John Henry

Micah at MI had me spray some WD-40 on the connector to help release the o-ring. He said that they get stuck to the fuel pipe and the WD-40 helps them release. After the first removal, he says he has not had any trouble. I did this on my Norge when I was doing the 6250 service and it worked - which was great as nothing I was doing was making a dent.

Norge fuel line difficulties. And more.

1. I tried to do as you and other posters recommended but the connector at the red fitting, the black one w/ the grey collar, broke when I finally got it off. My god it was tight and tough to get off. Now I either need the connector or, gulp, the whole fuel line.

Does anyone know if just the end is available? Or is it the whole line that needs replacing?

2. And what started all this is not yet resolved. Looking for a suitable switched power source for the Zumo and Passport. The factory wiring diagram shows a GPS power source. And I seem to remember that the Norge is wired for the TomTom. But I couldn't find it. Then I got Greg Bender's diagram. His sure is easier to read but what the factory diagram calls the GPS outlet Greg's call the ABS switch. This makes sense, Italian translation has never been great on any of my Guzzi manuals.

So does anyone know of a good way to wire in switched power for GPS/Radar dectetor?

I broke my so called quick release fuel connector last year, I ended up replacing it with a fuel line connector from the aircraft industry. I positioned the connector about six inches away from the fuel pump via a piece of hose, tank removal is a lot easier now.

I had some pictures on the old board, I'll re-post them once I've found them.

Your fuel line fix sounds great. What are these connectors and where can I get them? Hate the Guzzi one. But many have now suggested that bleeding the pressure off the fuel line heps a great deal.

Wondering if I have to bleed the fuel line if it gets air into it. Did you have to?

Thanks for your help

Brian,

I've been looking a lot for the GPS connector and can't seem to locate it. Blue (ground?) and green (switched power?) double connector right? Got any further advice for finding it?

Getting sort of nervous though. Having to probe further and further. Worried about loosening a connection or something. There newer bikes have electrical systems that are a bit complicated for me.

My older Guzzis are fine but this new one, as fine a ride as it is, kind of intimidates me because I doubt I could fix it if it ever broke. Planning on 10,000+ miles this summer. It hasn't let me down so far in 14,000 miles but I feel so helpless in the event of an electrical problem. I would love to ride to Alaska (I'm in Portland) but ignorance and the resulting fear of modern electrics has limited me. Wish I could get past this.

Love to tour the UK and Europe for a couple of months. Better to rent or buy? How hard would it be to buy and sell a bike for a foreigner in the UK?

Thanks for your help.

There is another way to access the under-tank items without releasing that truly awful fuel line connector.

Release the electrical plug and vent and filler neck drain lines.
Organise a table or equivalent which can be placed right next to the bike and with the top at the level of the bike's frame top rails.
Rotate the tank so that it rests on the "table".

Now even the air filter can be accessed easily enough.

Graham

dualguzzis wrote:
Your fuel line fix sounds great. What are these connectors and where can I get them? Hate the Guzzi one. But many have now suggested that bleeding the pressure off the fuel line heps a great deal.

Wondering if I have to bleed the fuel line if it gets air into it. Did you have to?

Thanks for your help

I was given the fuel line fitting by a pal who just happened to have the very thing I needed floating about in his garage. Unfortunately I don’t know how you could obtain one the same new, that said I’m sure that any auto components supplier will have something suitable. In fact I recall a dealer I once used saying that they often switched Guzzi fuel line connectors for Ducati items.

I’ll repost the pictures once I’ve figured out how to retrieve them from my broken laptop.

Back