• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breva/Sport 2006/2007 headlight

P

PP-1753

I think my headlight is kaput - the innards move around as though broken. Is there a way of removing the bezel and the lens so the whole assembly comes through the front? If not, I will have to buy a new assembly (yuk $$$$$$).

TIA

Re: Breva/Norge/Sport 2006/2007 headlight

has it come off the spherical adjustment balls??

that happened on my Ducati Multistrada once.......pita to get back on

Thanks for the replies. Still on the balls - but - stripped the thread on the Left/Right adjuster. Of course this is in plastic so makes it so easy to repair NOT! I will show it to our mechanical gurus at work on Monday - maybe miracles still do happen...

Anyway, now I have it apart and am looking for a new or second hand replacement. Need one for left hand drive roads so that narrows it down to UK, NZ, Japan (not likely), South Africa (also not likely) and here in OZ

Tony, is your light a basic 7" round light. Just fitted the following to Bella, but needed to buy 5 'W' clips to hold it in place from BJ's bikes and bits at W'gabba.

http://www.jwspeaker.com/other/8700evolution
Got this in black from Ashdown Ingrams for $650

It comes in LHT (Left Hand Transport) DOT approved. Absolutely bright white light with massive Hi beam penetration.
Only fault I can level at it is Hi beam also has horizontal cut-off, which means cornering on either beam has you turning into eternal darkness. I'm considering LED driving lights angled outwards and tilted for level beam aiming to the inside of each turn.

Wayne, sadly no. Mine is slightly oval in shape to fit in the Sport fairing (if you could call it that)

if you manage to get the lense off, please post pics. I'd love to know how to do it, or how it all clips together. One of my ball mounts broke ages ago and the light point to the left.

I was thinking of mounting driving lights, but there doesn't seem to be space for them on the B11.

Robert

Hi Robert,

Sadly I did not take photos - too much of a panic at the time and didn't even think of it. The price of a new one is well into the $400s (AUD).

Essentially the "chrome" bezel is simply stuck on with fingers that go into some gooey stuff. I read on Wild Guzzi that this can be prized off, but I would suggest some heat (not too much of course) may help. The lens is similarly stuck into the housing shell with the same stuff.

Removal:
- Remove light from bike
- Remove all wires to the head light including the parking light (PITA)
- The rim has 3 places where you can get a flat bladed instrument (I used a knife) Into: the very top and 120 degrees from the top - there are small sections (approximately 22 mm long) is where you can go in. Careful inspection should reveal them
- Prise off slowly and evenly, ensuring the bezel and housing are not damaged (as if)
- Be careful of the fingers on the bezel as you prise it off, they are thin and fragile
- Some more "coaxing" and you can do the same to the lens, though this has far more gooey stuff keeping it there
- The L/H side has a fixed ball mount
- The R/H side has an adjustable ball mount with the adjusting screw threaded through the shell to provide adjustment (this is what stripped on mine)
- There is also a vertical adjustment screw on the bottom left that provides adjustment for the vertical plane which (from memory) is spring loaded
- The ball joints clip into their sockets and careful prising will release them from their prison

Once apart all is revealed - I would suggest keeping dirty fingers away from the reflector (easier said than done) as I am not sure what you can use to clean them without tarnishing permanently.

The gurus here at work think I can get away with a helicoil for the stripped screw. Since the shell is ABS, insert the helicoil and apply acetone to the threads. Let dry and when it is dry/solid, carefully remove the insertion tag of the helicoil.

After that simply reassemble and put it back on the bike. I have searched forums and breaker sites around the world and there is none available - probably because the first thing that happens in a prang is the sacrificial headlight gets sacrificed.

Hope this helps, mate.

Tony,

thanks for that description, it paints a clear picture of what to do and expect. It seems it will be similar to pulling the dash apart.

What "goo" did you use on reassembly?

thanks

Robert

Robert still in bits - got some Uni assignments that are taking priority right now.

Hopefully tomorrow I can get the helicoil done - then I need to try re-assembly - hopefully I can use the gunk that is in there, or some other "appropriate" gunk

Stay tuned...

Robert,

No clips, but cutouts (you'll see on the inside when you pull it apart)

12 O'Clock, 4.30 and 7.30 approximately.

BTW, I am looking at the stripped thread to use a helicoil insert. This screw is a standard size (NOT) of 7mm dia with a 1mm pitch. A kit with x1 inserts is around $70 from Blackwoods. To fix the thread better would probably require a x1.5 length insert to get the full length in the plastic. I assume yours has the same problem - and you will enlighten us shortly when you have it apart.

So to buy the kit (tools etc and some inserts) and the correct inserts (available in lots of 100) will cost close to $150 which is indeed a bargain - especially when a new headlight costs close to $500. However the scrooge in me has a problem with this much money, especially when I can buy some bling for that money, or put it towards something useful.

I know, I know, you need a headlight...

Thanks John, good price and the inserts are x1.5 which is the correct length, too.

Tony,

thanks for that. I will take photos and do a write up when I get to it, but it will be a while. I'm still waiting to to get the ribbon cable on my dash re-soldered, hopefully this weekend as I'm going up to see my brother-in law. One job at the time - and the bike stays ride-able.

John, that's a good link. Bookmarked! Thank you.

cheers

Robert

Well, 2 things have occurred:
- A new headlight has been shipped from Italy and I should have it in the next few days - yeeha!
- The helicoil kit is on its way from the US to effect repairs on the old headlight

Funny how these both happen on the same day. Anyway I still intend to repair my old headlight - if for nothing other than the technical process - and I will take photos of the light in bits.

Stay tuned...

Headlight arrived, fitted and works. Happy!

Repair kit still on its way...

Photos will come...

Back