• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

breva stumbles and stalls

NOLAGuzzi

Cruisin' Guzzisti
My 04 750 breva has been acting up. It starts and idles fine but while riding anywhere past about 4 K RPM it stumbles and dies when I back off the throttle. Then starts right back up when I hit the starter. This started happening out of the blue three days ago.

So far I have drained the fuel tank and refilled w/ different gas, pulled and replaced the plugs, looked at the rev sensor (it was nice and clean), looked for loose connections or hoses that might interfere with the throttle opening and closing and reset the TPS with the VDST. No change with the bike.

While the VDST was plugged in I looked for DTC error codes, current or historic, and there were none. However when I bring up the system status window I get a red flag on the TPS trimmer OK.

Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated.

Thanks.

When you changed the plugs, did you also adjust the gap?
I've found my Breva to very sensitive to the gap closure, and 0,65 mm to be correct. New plugs are usually quite different to that.

Also, check the coil. I know the VDSTS do have that feature, but there might be something happening when the coil is getting hot - or would the failure occur immediately after taking off, also?

RED flag? My memory's probably wrong as mostly, but shouldn't it be green?

Ooh, one thing more. I haven't got a clue if it would work, but as everything is controlled by the ECU, you could try to disconnect the battery for a while, to reset some kind of memory flaw. Might be worthless, but it's free.

Interesting that there is a red flag on the trimmer. Trim on the 15RC is in relation to Lambda voltage. That is, as the lambda voltage changes, so does the trim value. With the VDSTS connected and engine warm, see if the lambda voltage is changing (should be rapidly, but commonly not). If no voltage changes, replace the lambda sensor.

Thanks for the replies.
I checked the voltage on the lambda sensor and it changes, but certainly not rapidly. I just ordered a new lambda sensor and when I put it in I will check the spark plug gaps too. Hopefully that will resolve the tps trimmer error and the stalling. If the new sensor does not sort things out I will pull the tank and look into the fuel filter and coils.

Re:breva stumbles and stalls UPDATE

So i got a new lambda sensor and a new set o plugs and the stalling and stumbling has stopped. HOORAY! I put a couple hundred miles on the bike w/ new sensor and my efi light did not do it's little on and off routine either. The bike runs better than it ever has.

But...
the TPS trimmer error is still displayed when I look at the system status. My lambda voltage fluctuates rapidly now and the open circut lambda error is gone so I assume that all is well with the sensor. Like I said the bike runs very well now so I am just not going to plug in the VDST and not worry about the TPS trim error.

I would ignore the trim error as well. I think there are ghosts in some of these ECUs. A friends Jackal (1.5M system) always reports the TPS shorted to ground, but the TPS voltages are correct and the bike runs fine.

Have you done a clear DTC yet to see if it returns?

You are right, clearing the error history would be a good idea. Next time I plug in the cable I will do that. Hopefully it will be a while.

Back