• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breva V1100 fork oil change

GrahamNZ said:
3ackok

Lovely yellow paint job there!

The reason why I and many others opted for 15W oil is to increase the damping response. The Guzzi spec of 5W to 20W is a huge range. The reason for adding more oil is to increase the air-springing effect as the forks near full compression, not to affect the damping. Adding an excessive amount of oil could ask a lot of the oilseals, but reports of up to 500cc being used make that volume sound OK. Just the same I'll stay with 450cc.

Reading this thread reminds me that since my Breva is just over four years old it's time to change the fork oil again. One wet day in the near future looks like the go for that so I'll buy some oil. This time I'll try to measure the oil level after adding 450cc of oil to one leg and match that for the second leg because that method is preferable to measuring just the volume when refilling after an oil change.

As an experiment I tried 500ml of SAE10 fork oil. It didn't work as the front end was wayyyy too harsh - so I took the front end apart and went back to 450ml. Haven't had chance to ride it yet, but I've got my eye on one of the Matris FM100KE kits if I'm not happy...... :D

I've got a feeling I won't be.... ;)

For the recommended 5 or 20 fork oil I do think it's an accidental recommendation or a translation error. I've been reading several Guzzi oil rec's and found in one Italian saying 5W/20, which is completely different.
Tho' I don't know if fork oils comes in multigrade...

pulled the forks today to change oil and install a Matris Fork kit... when I first turned the fork over what came out was clear liquid not tell I pumped the fork leg did I get black liquid to flow out... didn't know fork oil turn to water...WTH??? Also there was a noticeable difference in the volume that drain from each leg...didn't measure it though...

Dan

I had loads of problems trying to remove one of the fork bungs. Tried allsorts and managed to do some damage to the hardchrome, in the triple tree area.
I thought of cooling the aluminium bung to shrink it a bit but the stanchion was too long to go into the freezer.
In desperation, I tried heating the bung with a heat gun until very warm.
After cooling somewhat, the bung undid with not a lot of effort.
In answer to someone's query about the spanner required for the bung removal, I have measured it and it us 28mm.
I would recommend using a socket or ring spanner which is hexagonal, not 12 point as this will put less pressure on the corners of the hexagon of the bung.
Something that I don't think has been mentioned is that before you attempt to take the bung off completely, you should completely wind off the preload adjustment as this will reduce the spring tension and thus reduce the possibility of damage to the last threads of the bung.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Brian (QLD) :)

Hello, can somebody confirm the length of the spring spacer?
I see two measurements on this thread: 204 and 209,55 mm. Which one is correct?

Back