Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Broken Bar End!!

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by Brandon McLaren, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Brandon McLaren

Brandon McLaren Just got it firing! GT Famiglia

Has anyone had experience with removing the bar end insert? I am new to Guzzi and the vibration is leaving many bolts loose. The bar ends on the V7 racer is one item. In tightening the bolt snapped and the end came off. I thought I would just get an after market but I cannot get the insert out. Any experience?

Attached Files:

2. Brandon McLaren

Oh by the way I tried a bolt removal kit with no luck so I am simply drilling it out but it just will not come out.

3. Wisconsin v7 Racer

Wisconsin v7 Racer Cruisin' Guzzisti

I believe the racer has solid bars and that insert is non removable.

4. Brandon McLaren

Of course just my luck that the bars are solid. Well I guess I will have to get grips with ends on them.

5. Trout

Trout GT Reference

What other bolts are loosening up?
    Guzzi's do have a little vibe & some fasteners will loosen.

Over the years I have found that when I change the oil I check all the hardware and after the 2nd oil change it stays tight.

6. Godfrey

Godfrey High Miler GT Famiglia

At first with a new-to-me motorcycle of any brand, I check most of the visible bolts and fasteners before every ride to discover what tends to loosen up and snug it back down, often with a drop of Loctite Blue on it. After a few weeks of doing this simple pre-flight check, very little unexpectedly tends to loosen up any more and I can slack off on the pre-flight check; then it becomes a matter of checking things when I service the bike.

If you're snapped the bolt, you're over tightening the bolts. The bar-end weights require only that the bolts be snug; I rarely torque them, I just make them nice and hand-snug (50-60 inch-lbs or 7-9 Nm torque is a guess). Put a drop of Loctite blue on them, snug them up, and they'll never loosen.

The right way to remove a broken bolt like that is to take the handlebar off, put it into a jig, and use a drill press and EZ-out to remove the shards of the broken bolt. Then run a tap through the threads to clean them up, or fit an helicoil insert if the threads are too damaged, etc. It's very hard to do that with the bar still mounted on the forks. You want the bar-end weights in place: they're there to help reduce handlebar vibration.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  7. ChupaThingy

ChupaThingy Just got it firing!

When I first got my v7 I noticed the signals rattling loose pretty frequently, as mentioned before.. a little loctite goes a long way.

Couldn't agree more with Godfrey, get to know your bike. Check it frequently, and you'll learn it's tendencies.