• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

broken speedometer/odometer

emach1999

Just got it firing!
Hello!

Got a problem...My speedometer/odometer on my 2001 Jackal has quit working. I'm not sure if it's the speedometer itself, or if its the cable. After reading numerous complaints about the same issue from others, I'm assuming it's the guage itself. However, how can I find out for sure?

Also, if it is broken, what are some options? I really don't want to install another original if they are prone to breaking! I've already tried a Sigma bike computer, and it broke after about 2 weeks.

Help!

Thanks fellas!

Per GM above, the cable is an easy check. If it's the guage, there are many speedo repair shops here in CA that do a great job refurb-ing them, including a new needle, etc. Mine has been repaired only once by Palo Alto Speedo, and is still holding steady many many years now. My speedo in the original on my '00 Jackal, and now has ~140k miles on it. Compared to the newer ITI plasti-junk, the Veglia is a gem. I'd recommend having it repaired, or if you have some cash to spend, the Moto Spezial combo piece is even more jewel-like, click pic for details:

emach1999 wrote:
How exactly do you check the cable?
Remove either end of the cable, either from the speedometer or the transmission. It will be very obvious if it's broken (i.e. it will come out with a frayed end, or eq.).

I think I know where the end is. I'll give it a try. Otherwise, Do you guys know about how much it will cost to have the speedometer fixed at Palo Alto Speedo?

Hi There, my lst speedo crapped out on my 2003 California Stone out w/ less than 5k on it; (The Odometer part stopped working). Staying an original enthusiast I ordered a 2nd one and now w/ only 250 miles on it; (The Speedo MPH and Tripometer stopped working), (it only goes up to 10 mph), so I am now going aftermarket. My suggestions are as follows: http://trailtech.net/computers.html http://www.veypor.com/index.html http://www.electrosport.com/street/speedometers.php Also look into The Boss Hoss line of motorcycle because thay now use a Digital Speedo on some of their bikes. I called Palo Alto Speedometers in California and they use plastic gears when rebuilding them so that leaves me with only one sound reliable option. With a windshield on this bike, messin w/ the speedo is a Pain in the A__. So, I am going to retro a digital reliable system. They use a wired pick-up sensor mounted to the caliper or fork tube or rear swingarm, along w/ a magnet mounted to the rotor and then you program the size tire into the unit and you are off w/ no more maintenance issues. Good Luck. PS. The directionals are junk too, and I would recommend using a Buell directional replacement, they are cheaper, reliable, and local.

Back