• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Buell no more...

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
See Erik's words HERE.
I'm somewhat shocked... more corporate "restructuring" I suppose.

I'm proud to have raced a Lightning in the Inaugural NASB Pro Lightning Series in '96. Erik was at every race, and the VIP treatment while we were in WI was memorable. I have to wonder where they'd be if HD wouldv'e just handed over the VR-1000 motor to him.

Me at Road America, WI:

Attachments

• TEBuell_R-AM96.jpg
    TEBuell_R-AM96.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 938
Yeah, just saw that.

Apparently, it doesn't pay (enough) to build original bikes, ones that come in less than twelve rather than 13 a dozen.

Is that you in the picture, Todd?

PS: What if Erik moved to Mandello? :arrow:

RJVB said:
Apparently, it doesn't pay (enough) to build original bikes, ones that come in less than twelve rather than 13 a dozen. Is that you in the picture, Todd?
PS: What if Erik moved to Mandello? :arrow:
I knew it was the worse day in history for Erik when HD bought 51% interest. Hopefully he got to bankroll much of his income from them.
Yes, that's me above on a bike with the motor turned the wrong way.
Erik will likely pick up and run with all of the R&D his staff has put together over the last near two decades. I'd be surprised if he doesn't... it's where he came from to begin with. I was turned off with the last move of the Rotax-built motor in his frames... as i said, they had a solid engine in the VR-1000. Too bad.

A bit of background, and dare I say it, but there but for the grace of Piaggio goes Moto Guzzi :shock:

Harley-Davidson reported this morning a 21 percent decrease in motorcycle sales in the third quarter of 2009. The company also said it plans to discontinue its Buell production line and divest MV Agusta, an Italian motorcycle maker Harley purchased recently.

The company also said in this morning's earnings report that talks have begun on a new contract with union workers the plants in York County. Harley said its "two path" study into whether to keep Harley in York County continues and that it still expects to make a decision by the end of the year.

Harley's sales fell by about 30 percent this spring. Shutdown weeks and job reductions have come this year as the Milwaukee-based company has sought to scale back production. Locally, four full weeks and two partial weeks of shutdown time were scheduled earlier this year. Three weeks have already happened.

York County hosts Harley's largest manufacturing facility, but the company said earlier this year it might move the operations elsewhere to make them more cost effective. The company maintains its preferred option is to stay, and union and company representatives reportedly told workers last week a restructuring plan is "viable." Contract negotiations are also part of the effort to keep the Springettsbury Township plants from moving.

Harley said this morning it plans to end Buell production and terminate about 180 total positions. Most of those workers will see their employment end by Dec. 18, the company said. MV Agusta will go up for sale, only a little more than a year after Harley purchased it.
Harley CEO Keith Wandell said in the release the company is seeking through the moves to have a "single-minded focus on the Harley-Davidson brand

I have to admit, and this is tough since I am "The Anti Harley", it is a sad state of world affairs. Buell has given to motorcycling and should remain in the mix. Now, I have to stop and think...(me thinking)...Is this a sales ploy like the crushed Blasts? :huh:

"Harley CEO Keith Wandell said in the release the company is seeking through the moves to have a "single-minded focus on the Harley-Davidson brand"
Brilliant, put all your eggs in one basket so when that market dies (literally) you are screwed.
How do these people get their jobs?
As for the Buell Lightning series, it was fantastic. I only got to race in it once (on my street bike) but it was a great thing. Buell will be missed by me. I am a fan of the Rotax bikes as well, though. And the V-Rod motor was/is too heavy to make a serious bike out of. That is one reason why Eric went to Rotax instead of the V-Rod. The Rotax motor is art. I prefered the older tube frame bikes over the newer cast frame bikes (easier to ride on the street), but I may yet own a Rotax Buell someday.
And from what I heard, Eric is going to continue working for Harley. I can't see why but I guess he has gone full circle.

Here's what I don't get. Harley is going to try and sell MV but quit making Buell. Why not sell Buell? They have Rotax motors, Guzzi taillights so it's not like the brand is Harley other then the motors they could supply if the new owner wanted to continue with them. I think it may be a sell out the "sport legend' then pooph...the Buell Phoenix. I mean with the crying video and all? Race season is ending and they have some notable wins, though controversial. Harley has been a marketing marvel. Look at the lemmings they've created.

Hmmm, one to ponder... crazy times.

October 16, 2009
AP
Iwata, Japan

In a statement released by Yamaha Motor Corporation, Hirofumi Osawa, President of Yamaha Corporation of America, stated that the company is looking into acquiring recently defunct Buell Motorcycles.

We are interested in the spirit of innovation that Buell has used as a foundation in their business. We feel their values align well with Yamaha, stated Mr. Osawa.

According to Yamaha, discussions of a purchase are in the exploratory stage. Harley-Davidson Corp, owner of Buell since 2003, could not be reached for comment.

Lupo said:
Here's what I don't get. Harley is going to try and sell MV but quit making Buell. Why not sell Buell? They have Rotax motors, Guzzi taillights so it's not like the brand is Harley other then the motors they could supply if the new owner wanted to continue with them. I think it may be a sell out the "sport legend' then pooph...the Buell Phoenix. I mean with the crying video and all? Race season is ending and they have some notable wins, though controversial. Harley has been a marketing marvel. Look at the lemmings they've created.

Because Buell can be a direct competitor to HD in the US, and MV Agusta cannot. For that reason, I think Yamaha's efforts to buy Buell will fail.

RJVB said:
So much for a new Yamaha Buelldog in 2010 then? :dry:

As Ferdinand Pierch in public has announced that VW is interested in buying a motorcycle manufacturer, and Suzuki is of interrest, you can expect an air-cooled 4-cyl boxer bike in the future, though. :mrgreen:

WHOOA!!!! That's a beauty. Is that from the Wolfsburg Museum? O.K.... I'll get serious now. A few years back..ahh about 35 years ago. I was on my way back to L.A. from the Bay area (San Fran Frenchie ;) ) and while looking for a place to camp for the night met a guy with a BMW that had a VW engine. We camped the night and I have memories I'll treasure for life but to keep the story short I'll just pass this on. He had a sewn roundal on his jacket that was a Beemer prop and was printed, BMVW. He was carrying so much stuff I couldn't believe it, and he drank more beer then me yet still got up earlier. He was on his 6th day on the road from Virginia and had clocked over 3000 miles already. Dude was hardcore. I don't remember his name but I'll never forget his face.

Lupo said:
and while looking for a place to camp for the night met a guy with a BMW that had a VW engine. .

Tom Short in AZ has one like that.....I think it was his Dad's.....

I'm not in for Buell, and am not even dreaming of having one. But I appreciate MotoGuzzis, OTOH.
Anyway it's sad that they let it go. I do like Eric Buells guts and ideas.
The loss of Buell is another step forward to conformity.

Guess the tycoons want it to be rationalized, so in 20 years you'll have to choose between 3 different types of motorcycles in 2 motor sizes and 2 colours. The DDR way transformed into the "free" market economy. :dry:

HI TODD. Am new to this forum and only been a Guzzi owner for a year. I enjoyed seeing the pics of your Buell Race bike. I have two tube frame Buells, an S2T and a 90 inch S1. Seems like alot of Buell guys on Guzzi's or vice a versa. While in Arizona this summer looking at Real Estate, I met a guy on a Griso that had one of the Exhaust that you sell. It looked like a nice piece.
Steve Jenkins.
Here's a few pictures of my Buell S1 for your enjoyment.

IMAG0173.jpg

IMAG0172.jpg

IMAG0168.jpg

Hi Steve, welcome... yes, air-cooled push rod V-twin motors, all good. Glad you liked seeing my race Buell. I have a ton of other pics to find and post one day. Thanks for posting yours.

Once I got hooked by Guzzi, I'll never turn back.

Back