• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Bumpy

Chadlebowski

Cruisin' Guzzisti
My 09 stelvio has developed what feels like riding over catseyes, albeit on smooth roads. It definitely feels like it's coming from the bottom end, but isn't always there. The bike went in for the roller conversion about 200miles ago. It feels like somethings either been snapped or dropped in, and catching somewhere...

i know the throttle\fuelling can be a bit jerky, and that's what I thought it was at first. The clutch is also being a bit whinier than usual.

I will take it up with the dealership, just hoped someone could potentially outline what the fault may be, and also if it's likely the dealership messed something when changing the cams

Far too tough to diagnose via the net.
Try pulling in the clutch going down the road and see if anything changes.
Otherwise just get it back to the people that did the work.

Far too tough to diagnose via the net.
Try pulling in the clutch going down the road and see if anything changes.
Otherwise just get it back to the people that did the work.

Thanks for getting back to me.. Will pull clutch next time and test. Appreciate it's impossible to diagnose over the web. And really don't want to be that guy who freaks out about any and every noise!

So it seems it was a temporary thing - bike has been fine ever since and I'll assume it was a quirk\result of the bike not being used for months.
On another point, are gearbox\CARC oil changes as vital as engine oil changes? Should you stick religiously to the manufacturer's intervals?

So it seems it was a temporary thing - bike has been fine ever since and I'll assume it was a quirk\result of the bike not being used for months.
On another point, are gearbox\CARC oil changes as vital as engine oil changes? Should you stick religiously to the manufacturer's intervals?

Yes.

And really don't want to be that guy who freaks out about any and every noise!

As I do. ;)

Yup.

Of course, as those are the sorts of maintenance chores that are in my easy reach, I wallow in them. :giggle:

Oil differences are not in my portfolio, so I just do what I'm told ... by the manual.

Maybe the Stelvio is a different sort Guzzi in more ways than I had thought, so not sure what gaskets you are talking about. I usually replace any gasket or crush washer I see as they are cheap.

Now and then, to be entitled to keep my red suspenders, I will keep clearly undamaged ones on my (firstgen) Norge and EV's valve covers, but I sure thought that the rubber ones on my Griso were -- unless leaking already and/or visibly damaged -- were multiple-use items. Will be interested to hear otherwise for the more knowledgeable folks here.

Best from the top of Virginia, where freezing rain is taking a last (I hope) wintry swipe at us,

Bill

OK, one of the trade-offs that comes with the supposed life of leisure that is retirement is that, with time at less of a premium -- well, unless one muses on how little is left! :( -- is that I reflect on things. One of those was this post. At least I was down in the Moto Grappa (albeit working on my Norge's latest oil leak, this from an alternator cover hole; puleeze :banghead:) when I noticed my Griso. It has its tank "wings" off so that I can -- when I get my courage up -- run a wiring harness for its mounted but unpowered conspicuity lights.

I had a view of its jugs in all of their majesty, unencumbered by any bra or the like. That gave me a look at all four of the valve-cover fasteners on each cylinder. Yes, I'll make an end soon. ;)

That look made me realize that while the large gasket for those covers is (unless somehow and usually isn't damaged by a cut or the like) reusable, the rubber grommets -- the real "pressure points" under the fasteners holding down the valve covers -- SHOULD be replaced lest you (understandably) panic by the side of the road and peck out a post here worried about an oil leak atop the valve covers! :eek:

In fact, thanks to your post, I just ordered a few replacement sets after I thought about it awhile. :clap:

Bill

P.S. I am not a bling sort of guy, but have to say that those valve covers are easier on the eyes if you have a set of these like I ordered from Todd's store: https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/gt-c14-ss-valve-cover-bolts/

That look made me realize that while the large gasket for those covers is (unless somehow and usually isn't damaged by a cut or the like) reusable,
the rubber grommets -- the real "pressure points" under the fasteners holding down the valve covers -- SHOULD be replaced lest you (understandably) panic by the side of the road and peck out a post here worried about an oil leak atop the valve covers! :eek:
/

Hi,

You don’t see/hear any mention of those grommets as part of the valve adjustment job ?
They never leak ?

Thanks,
Don

As cheap insurance, I’d consider doing it More often than recommended intervals, it’s the motors/transmissions/diffs life blood !

Ok. Are the gaskets reusable, or best to replace?
Also - any difference between agip gear mg/s 95w90 and agip gear 80w90

Some engineers job is to analyse what’s going on in there and chose the best product, unless I was a chemical engineer specializing in Oil’s I’d follow the vendors recommendations...

Hi,

You don’t see/hear any mention of those grommets as part of the valve adjustment job ?
They never leak ?

Thanks,
Don

"I heard on the internet somewhere" that they can. ;)

Seriously, I have had one of the lower set on one side weep a wee bit. Still not sure if that was my failure to torque it down (as it seemed tight and I am not a wrench artist like John Z and others here! :cry:).

That said, as I recall -- I am sitting in the kitchen, sipping coffee, and avoiding the day's Honey-Do list start :inlove: -- those have a built-in "stop," anyway. Be that all as it may, the grommets are consumables and would eventually need replacement "just 'cuz." Moreover, while the valve covers don't reach orbital re-entry heat ranges, they do get hot and are also exposed to all sorts of external environmental conditions -- e.g., from normal weathering to road splash and more. I suppose (which is well short of "peer-reviewed conclusions!) that all of that takes it toll.

Back to my reality of Sunday chores, where, it seems, our brace of oxen is always in the ditch. :giggle:

Bill

IMHO - Valve cover bolts more than any other bolt on the bike, requires “wrench feel” and not torque values. I’ve seen so many stripped ones especially because the threads are always contaminated with oil, making a torque value useless.

I tell my friends and customers, valve covers prevent oil from leaking out under normal atmospheric pressure, and nothing more. Hence, they do not require any great force at all. Honestly.

I ensure the sealing gasket is wiped dry with rubbing alcohol as well as the sealing surface on the valve head itself. I then just set them at “barely snugged up” plus 1/8th of a turn, tightening them in an alternating crossways pattern (upper left, lower right, upper right, lower left). Nothing more.

Never leaked, Never stripped.

Last edited:
IMHO - Valve cover bolts more than any other bolt on the bike, requires “wrench feel” and not torque values. I’ve seen so many stripped ones especially because the threads are always contaminated with oil, making a torque value useless.

I tell my friends and customers, valve covers prevent oil from leaking out under normal atmospheric pressure, and nothing more. Hence, they do not require any great force at all. Honestly.

I ensure the sealing gasket is wiped dry with rubbing alcohol as well as the sealing surface on the valve head itself. I then just set then at “barely snugged up” plus 1/8th of a turn, tightening them in an alternating crossways pattern (upper left, lower right, upper right, lower left). Nothing more.

Never leaked, Never stripped.

Scott,

You are referring, are you not, to the OP's -- and other Norges and similar Guzzis -- with "classic" VC gaskets and fasteners?

I ask for two reasons that your comments address.

First, very much agree re "wrench art" -- tho I do not profess to be a Grand Master artist in that :giggle: -- WRT VC fasteners ... comma but.

My 8v Griso and V7's gaskets and fasteners are not of that sort, as they have rubber gaskets and rubber grommets under the fasteners' flat heads. I thought your Stelvio the same?

They also seem to have built-in stops such that you can not really ham-fist them to the point that you squish the grommets into leaky uselessness.

Similar point WRT wiping gaskets and mating surfaces with alcohol. I would not think that appropriate for rubber, and -- after thorugh cleaning, of course -- use light oil on those.

It would not be the first time I've done wrong for years in all sorts of moto and other tasks. :think:

Will do the gasket and fastener thing along with other service chores on the EV myself tomorrow. I drained the hot stuff after a ride a few days ago on the center stand as the lift was full. That reminded me quickly of the joys of a lift, especially for someone with an out-of-warranty body! ;) What a literal pain. I now have the EV on the lift and all its fluids have pretty well dripped out. I'm joining two other Cali guys on Thursday for a ride up the center of Pennsylvania and a cross-border raid into New York. The weather is "UnAugust" stupendous just now and near perfect for riding.

Grazie.

1921!

Bill

Last edited:
Hi Bill,

Nope, I’ve done my 2012 Stelvio NTX exactly the same way, snug plus 1/8th turn.

In fact, Ive done every BMW Boxer and Moto Guzzi Twin, the same way for decades.

Same with the alcohol. Never hurt rubber or silicon gaskets.

YMMV

Back