• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Burt Munroe Challange NZ

Ya Mingle

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi all,

Recently returned from our ride to Invercargill from Auckland. The trip was about 4500ks'. Probably quite small for most of you. My first proper road trip, so long enough for me. I only used 50 litre panniers which were perfect as i took everyone's advice and packed lightly.

WP 20141121 001

We left Friday afternoon 21st nov. Arrived in the South Island at 9.30 pm on Saturday night. WP 20141122 003
Stayed the night in Picton then rode to Christchurch on the Sunday. Monday headed slightly north through Arthurs pass onto Greymouth then down to Franz Joseph for the night. WP 20141124 007
WP 20141125 001 From Franz Joseph (Glazier) southbound to Te Anau for the night.
Then finally onto Invercargill for the Challange.

The first event was Long track Speedway which was cancelled due to a lack of entries.
Following day Hill Climb at Bluff. Bloody windy ride on the way to event. I really enjoyed this event. WP 20141127 010 Top speed in the dry is 200kph up the straight. Record is 44 seconds. WP 20141127 040 There were classics, motards, Quads and production bikes. WP 20141127 032 WP 20141127 031 See these tyre marks from bikes leaving the road aiming for the power pole with throttle fully on to get back on track, awesome.

That evening was motor-cross. WP 20141127 052
WP 20141127 057 The next day was the beach races. WP 20141128 002 All off-road bikes except this one which finished 6th in a 50 lap race. WP 20141128 010 Next up was track racing at Teretonga. I'll get some proper photos of this from a mate as the phone didn't do a great job.

That evening was Speedway solos and sidecars, my favorite event, though had to finish early due to shit weather. I only got a video though will see if my mate has some pics to post....

Last event was street racing, crap weather again though was completed due to dedicated riders and swingers. WP 20141130 076 WP 20141130 078 WP 20141130 042 WP 20141130 010 WP 20141130 023 WP 20141130 013 WP 20141130 058 A moto guzzi sidecar won the classics. Number 242 in pic.

I had a wild ride back to base with major wind gusts. I am sure at one moment the Griso moved totally sideways on the spot. Scary shit. That completed the Burt Munroe Challenge for 2014.

From Invercargill we had a long ride to Fairlea. WP 20141201 003

Part 2, continued. WP 20141201 013 WP 20141201 017 WP 20141201 023 Last pics are on the way to Fairlie. WP 20141201 024

We came across this old wool shed for accommodation. The owner who shared my name and also owned a griso was kind enough to lend us his modern ute to go to the pub up the road to get a feed. About two and a half hours later we returned tummies full of food and beer. :giggle: We woke up to a cool morning and a cooked breakfast from owners. Including witebait fritters.

Back on the road. WP 20141202 008 Not sure where this is though on the way to Hamner Springs. WP 20141202 016
I Have done a bungy jump here followed by a jet boat ride about 15yrs ago. WP 20141202 022
This is the Lewis Pass Rd highway 7. This is one amazing ride, best of all in my opinion. From Hamner Springs to Springs Junction unbelievable. Photo does no justice as having too much fun to stop and take photos.....:rofl:

We ended up at the Blackball Hilton for the night. WP 20141202 024

Through the Upper and Lower Bull Ranges for a night in Nelson. WP 20141203 001 Mates Hayabusa blew a radiator hose though he managed to cut the end off and refit without too many problems. All go and onto ferry back to the North Island sadly.... :cry:

Over all a great trip. No dramas, some great days riding with some windy wet days thrown in. Will add some pics of Speedway and Track races. Enjoy. :happy:

Last edited:
WOW! Thanks for the report and pics.
I've always wanted to travel NZ by bike.
The last pic....bbbrrrrrrr looks cold.

Alex

WOW x 2. Thanks for the pics and report! Looks to be a GREAT event. I've been invited by Burt's son to the event and to come ride his Velocette on the beach; I plan on taking him up on it soon. Perhaps as early as February if everything aligns.

IS THAT YOU ROCKXANNE ?

Love the Pics.
We are off to Stewart Island in the New Year so seeing your pictures has got me all excited.
I hope you had time for a good ride around the Nelson/Tasman region otherwise you will just have to make another trip down.

Cheers.

Speaking of BM here's something I saw at Bonneville in 2011"

BMTrailer_zpsb62995f5.jpg

Winner of the Hill Climb,

Cameron Donald 47.48 seconds (C)

WP 20141127 021
McIntosh Suzuki.

I am crouched down beside the power pole at the beginning of the straight. 55 seconds in, a blurrrr..... :D

I would say that is the moment of photo above.

Thanks for making the trip Cam. :clap:

Last edited:
Back