• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

C14 - Stop the moaning whale - Tip/Evap

Ok reread (again) the thread and it appears the disconnected hose I was concerned about is for the gearbox vent, normally open to air. Please correct me if I am wrong. Additionally (referring to the pic below Evap mod) is the small diameter hose #4 in the pic also a tank vent or is it for air to enter the tank? I have not found it yet but it seems to be open to air as well per the drawing.

Evap Mod 1

Folks, an update to post here. I had a 1400 in the shop today with 100 miles on it. On the line from the tip valve to the evap canister, the line had been pinched completely closed by the side peg plates, so the tank was not venting at all on this one. The bike lives in Las Vegas, so you might imagine what that produced for our new friend Ross. So, FYI, check yours if you are still struggling with tank venting issues, even if you do the first part of this thread. Pics below show position and an attempt to show how pinched.
View attachment 20562
View attachment 20561
View attachment 20563

Thank you for discovering this. Yes the bike did have a strong fuel smell when I first got it. That has gone away now.

As far as the moaning whale sound? I haven't heard it doing that but it seems like a good mod nevertheless.

Thank you for discovering this. Yes the bike did have a strong fuel smell when I first got it. That has gone away now. As far as the moaning whale sound? I haven't heard it doing that but it seems like a good mod nevertheless.
This was all part of the work we did on your bike in my shop. ;)

I just started the Moaning Whale fix. So far: (1) The vent hose from the tank had deteriorated and cracked off at the nipple. Got a new hose for that. (2) The original bolt at the intake plenum port was loose. I humbly suggest that those postponing the moaning whale fix check to make sure the bolt is snug to avoid a potential vacuum leak. (3) I hate to cut up stock hoses. I zip-tied a new ¼’ fuel hose alongside the original hose assembly with the anti-tip-over valve and secured it under the frame, bypassing the original assembly and keeping it intact in case it ever needs to go back to stock. (4) I did not want to forget where I put the plenum port parts away for future use. I unscrewed the original M6 bolt at the plenum and used an M6 aircraft-type locknut to hold the whole bolt/fitting/O-ring assembly together. It’s all there if it needs to go back to stock. I wrapped it loosely with some gauze from my first-aid kit to keep the worst of the dust out but let it breathe if it needs to.

I have not fired anything up yet, as the tank is off and drained so I can replace the original fuel filter and fuel pump gasket when I get them. So, if (3) or (4) above sound like bone-headed moves then please, my illustrious friends, let me know before disaster ensures! Thank you.

It's a cold Friday night, ice on the roads, and I'm bored so I figure why not see if I can figure out the "moaning whale" mod. The link to it for the 1400s have seemed to disappeared, but I've done this couple times on other bikes in the past and it went ok.
This is a 2016 eldorado and it is doing the loud "groaning" sound for awhile after shutting off the engine.

My goal is to eliminate the round check valve from the hose coming from the fuel cap port and splice in a hose barb so air can still vent to the evap canister and hopefully keep fume smell to a minimum. Next I will plug the port on the intake with a brass plug. That should be all I need to do, correct?

Also, when I removed the tank there was two hoses not connected. The smaller one on the right hand side of the bike that goes to atmosphere is the one that connects to the smaller hose coming off the bottom of the tank, correct? (Not the pressurized fuel supply)

The other hose is on the left hand side and was just laying there next to the upper frame. It looks to be going down onto the intake somewhere. I can't find where it goes to. I've looked for another port on the tank and no luck. Any ideas? It's the one I'm holding in my hand

Attachments

• 20220225_191201.jpg
    20220225_191201.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 22
One other question. Should I just eliminate the check valve and leave the port on the intake alone until I get a custom tune so I don't have any idling or performance issues?

Not sure how that happened, but it's now restored. I've merged your post with it here, so start from the first page.
Thanks Todd! I just read the thread and all my questions have been answered. But just to to make extra certain...is the hose in my hand in the picture I posted, the transmission gear box air breather/vent?

Thanks Todd! I just read the thread and all my questions have been answered. But just to to make extra certain...is the hose in my hand in the picture I posted, the transmission gear box air breather/vent?
Nevermind! It is the trans/gearbox breather hose. It was just tough for me to see where it was coming from. The tank breather hose was in the way. I should be all good to go on this mod and will finish it tomorrow. Thanks!

I removed the chrome tank trim on my 2017 California to discover the check valve right there front and center! It pried apart easily and I removed the internals and snapped it back together. Thanks again for the excellent step-by-step guide and photos.

The hose going down to the engine seems to have a lot of slack in it. Next step is to try and find out if it is actually connected on that end.

Attachments

• A0A76EA4-0E99-4545-8898-8081BD205B59.jpeg
    A0A76EA4-0E99-4545-8898-8081BD205B59.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 20
I removed the chrome tank trim on my 2017 California to discover the check valve right there front and center! It pried apart easily and I removed the internals and snapped it back together. Thanks again for the excellent step-by-step guide and photos.

The hose going down to the engine seems to have a lot of slack in it. Next step is to try and find out if it is actually connected on that end.

Well, I can’t see the route the hose takes from the valve downward, but I think it connects to the air box. No more morning or gas smell in the garage. Hallelujah.
Glad you no longer have the gasoline smell or the moaning whale sound! If I remember correctly the hose with the check valve on my 2014 California 1400 was connected to the evaporative canister (but now exits under the frame). I noted I never followed up on my post from 4/13/21 (sorry!) and can chime in that there has been no more moaning or gas smell in my garage as well! Man, I love this Forum!

Id like to either remove the Evap system because my tank does hiss and whine after a longer hotter drive, or somehow bypass and vent into atmosphere.
Merged with the how-to thread here. Start from the first post here.

Back