Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Cafe' cruiser d' Eleganse

Discussion in 'Custom Guzzi Builds' started by Skip Stauber, Aug 8, 2021.

1. Skip Stauber

Skip Stauber Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

This is my interpretation of a Cal 14 Custom, race inspired with a touch of bold elegance. What started out as just a winter project has dragged into the summer a little, but that's OK I'm riding it now and enjoying every minute. Mechanical's, body fabrication, and painting are all the things I achieved in my garage while hibernating from this pandemic. Just wanted to share the creative possibility's that people on this forum posses and encourage others to be creative also, whether a little or a lot. Enjoy and let me know what you think. I have another project in the works and appreciate any input. SKIP

FR 02.jpg 333.jpg 444.jpg 555.jpg 666.jpg 777.jpg 222.jpg Low front right.jpg Right side straight.jpg

William H., BrianR, Sasazuka and 4 others like this.
  2. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Looking good! Well done. MGX fairing basis, nice... My eyes want to see the rest of the chrome delete. Injector covers, valve covers, exhaust, handlebars, front turns and fork lowers... but that's me. Really nice job.

Skip Stauber likes this.
  3. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque Scott Mastrocinque GT di Razza Pura

Excellent! Very well done.

I too, like the MGX-21fairing reshaping. Looks really sharp!

I like your pinstripes and the oil cooler lettering is truly creative and unique. Very tasty indeed! Congratulations and enjoy it!

You are in my general neck of the woods (You-Upper Peninsula, Me-below Toledo) so perhaps we will cross paths and I’ll see it in person someday on the road.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    Skip Stauber and Louisv97 like this.
  4. Raven

Raven High Miler GT Famiglia

Very nice! Far exceeds the usual "garage" builds.

Skip Stauber likes this.
  5. DeadEye

DeadEye GT Reference GT di Razza Pura

Looks very good !
    Not being farmiliar with what you started out with I don’t know what you changed ?
    So it all looks Factory to me other than the stripes !

Skip Stauber and Louisv97 like this.
  6. Skip Stauber

Thanks you Todd, and I appreciate your input. I thought about that also, but than we'd be going to the Dark Side looking at an Audace.

7. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Then how about just the valve covers then?

Skip Stauber likes this.
  8. Skip Stauber

Thanks Scott, You have keen eyes, not to many catch what it says. You never know I get around, picked the bike up at Mid-Ohio Motorsports in Mt. Vernon

scottmastrocinque likes this.
  9. Skip Stauber

Thanks DeadEye, Factory look works for me. Shortened and gutted exhaust, added 1/4 faring, seat cowling, hand guards, and oil cooler scoop, and all hand crafted. Than I painted GM black metallic with four heavy layers of clear coat so you can't feel the stripes and gives a deep glossy look.

William H. likes this.
  10. DeadEye

I know some great Classic Mini, Stauber people in Ohio ?
    Any relation over that way ?

11. hatchb4ck

hatchb4ck Tuned and Synch'ed

Beautiful build.

Skip Stauber likes this.
  12. Moto-Uno

Moto-Uno Cruisin' Guzzisti

Thank goodness you kept the chrome ! All black is soooo yesterday :) . Peter

13. DeadEye

I does need something to break up the murdered out look !
    But what ever turns yer crank !

Skip Stauber likes this.
  14. scottmastrocinque

I have to concur that I am not a fan of the “black out” look. It’s ugly to my eyes, destroys all the lines of a motorcycle that are supposed to be appealing, and is so Harley Davidson from 20 years ago that it just leaves me flat and uninterested.

I really like what Skip has done with accent color stripes, tasteful chrome and metal bits, and the spoiler with lettering.

Please do not turn it into another butt ugly, all black, Harley wannabe. Hell, they are still making butt ugly black for 2021 like this turd.

0E4E06D5-0401-413A-9AC8-8F760DFAC943.jpeg

Even my old Street Glide with black and chrome, turned out to be just too damn black for my tastes and always left me with sore eyes from looking at it, so I punted her.

4D18801D-8642-4344-9B8C-3F55AF769237.jpeg

Skip’s motorcycle looks very sharp the way he has done it! No more black.

(My 2 cents worth…)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
    Skip Stauber and Moto-Uno like this.
  15. DeadEye

I felt the same about black tires on black wheels on cars !
    It turns the wheel opening’s into a void

Contrast is what draws your eye to the difference and make’s them standout !

16. Skip Stauber

Thank You, very much appreciated, its nice to know what other guzzi riders think !

17. Skip Stauber

Thanks Pete, I think You and Scott are absolutely right, all that black and flat black is a dated look that I never really did care for. During the build I would use black construction paper and poster paint to try and find the right balance of contrast. I think what I ended up with presents itself well. Also, its good that we all think a little bit different. Again Thank You All SKIP

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
  18. scottmastrocinque

That whole all blacked out thing looks to my eye, like they just took the paint gun and swept it side to side the entire length of the motorcycle. It's ugly and boring and screams to me, "Cheap Cheap Cheap" because good paint jobs, and lovely metal finishes are expensive to produce. The same with beautiful pin stripping.

Skip, it is probably well known that I am the King of Stock motorcycles. I usually love them exactly as the factory built them.

However, as I said, yours is the tastiest one I have ever seen and I think your sense of style actually IMPROVED the looks of the 1400, which never really excited me much, but I would be proud to own your creation in my stable. I find it very handsome.

I think you knocked it out of the park!

Cheers.

BrianR and Skip Stauber like this.
  19. Skip Stauber

WOW... Scott, you were very generous with your words and I thank you for that. I'm with you, especially with cars, I absolutely love the stock Hi/Po cars of the sixties and seventies. Have a fantastic day. SKIP