• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Cal 1100 Hydraulic Lifter Recall Info

No success. I've tried a few more times. Piaggio have said that the bike is not due any recall work, and are sticking to their original line.
The good news is that it's running fine (approaching 27,000 miles).

Hello To all

I know it's an old Thread but i will try my luck

I bought a motoguzzi california stone 2005 model with Vin ZGUKDC4KD2M155574 was this supposed to be affected by the Recall?

Regards
Daniel Cardona

Hello To all

I know it's an old Thread but i will try my luck

I bought a motoguzzi california stone 2005 model with Vin ZGUKDC4KD2M155574 was this supposed to be affected by the Recall?

Regards
Daniel Cardona

I know the 2003 model year was hydraulic lifter. Best way to tell is to just remove one valve cover. If you see adjusters, then you have solid lifters. If you do have hydraulic lifters, the pictures in the first post will let you know if the recall has been performed.

I know the 2003 model year was hydraulic lifter. Best way to tell is to just remove one valve cover. If you see adjusters, then you have solid lifters. If you do have hydraulic lifters, the pictures in the first post will let you know if the recall has been performed.

Other question? that i forgot to add,

If i remove the valve cover and i found that i have hydraulic lifters, do i still have to worry? Were ALL hydraulic lifters Junk, Or just a batch?

Regards
Daniel

If the recall has been performed no issue. Even if the recall hasn't been performed there may not be an issue as not all of the hydro engines developed a problem. I ran my 2003 EV over 40 K miles (20W50 Mobil 1 oil) and the recall wasn't performed until the second owner had it done. He ran it another 10 or 15 K before it was performed. The engine never had any issues.

If the recall has been performed no issue. Even if the recall hasn't been performed there may not be an issue as not all of the hydro engines developed a problem. I ran my 2003 EV over 40 K miles (20W50 Mobil 1 oil) and the recall wasn't performed until the second owner had it done. He ran it another 10 or 15 K before it was performed. The engine never had any issues.

Thanks John, a bit reassuring, i test rode the bike and felt amazing , first guzzi ever. I bought it without even thinking twice or doing any research, now i’m very worried that i bought a time bomb. I also heard they suffer from the clutch, one spring vs double. And worst of all it seems that i cannot find any parts or even recall parts if the worst happens, were to get them? I hope at least i have one year of riding, its such a relaxed and awesome bike.

Regards
Daniel

Thanks John, a bit reassuring, i test rode the bike and felt amazing , first guzzi ever. I bought it without even thinking twice or doing any research, now i’m very worried that i bought a time bomb. I also heard they suffer from the clutch, one spring vs double. And worst of all it seems that i cannot find any parts or even recall parts if the worst happens, were to get them? I hope at least i have one year of riding, its such a relaxed and awesome bike.

Regards
Daniel

The clutch isn't a problem in these bikes. It isn't a diaphragm spring but is a double friction plate clutch. 8 springs push on the pressure plate. Stop worrying and ride.

engine-double-plate-clutch-2nd-series.jpg

The clutch isn't a problem in these bikes. It isn't a diaphragm spring but is a double friction plate clutch. 8 springs push on the pressure plate. Stop worrying and ride.

engine-double-plate-clutch-2nd-series.jpg

thanks john for your kind words, i hope my clutch is the same as the one you showed me in the photo and not of the early ones, i'm afraid to check, so far it works i just hope it lasts, including the valve lifters whatever they are.

kind regards
daniel

Hey Daniel!
Like John said: "Just ride the bike".
Seriously these Guzzi's will give plenty of advanced warning before catastrophic failure.

btw i forgot to ask, what engine oil should i use for the bike? since the engine is a separate module from the gearbox, can i use oil that normally i use on my car or still i have to stick with motorcycle oil? sorry for the stupid question.

Oil questions can be dangerous.

I had bought a lot of ENI brand Guzzi recomended oil & that is what I have been using in both my Jackal & Mille GT.

The previous owner of my Griso was using Royal Purple so I have continued to use it.
When my supply of ENI is finally gone I will probably use Royal Purple in all my Guzzi's.

Personally I think any good quality synthetic/ semi-synthetic will be fine.
I used a lot of Valvoline oils for many different vehicles & equipment for 40 or so years & had long engine life.
Mobile 1 & Shell Rotella T seem to be very popular & also seem to have proven themselves over the years.

And what about parts? The california seems to have the most expensive parts. I check for a rear fender and i only find them to be about 300euros without shipping!

Not all the clutches were double friction plate. I purchased a 2003 EV Touring from Moto International that had a single plate clutch. It was lovely to operate, but continued to require cable slack adjustment, so I knew something was wearing.

Dave Richardson set me the extensive kit to repair it, and I crabbed the frame to install. A big job, but fairly easy to do. Later, I had to do the camshafts, followers, and valve springs, another recall that was necessary.

Not all the clutches were double friction plate. I purchased a 2003 EV Touring from Moto International that had a single plate clutch. It was lovely to operate, but continued to require cable slack adjustment, so I knew something was wearing.

Dave Richardson set me the extensive kit to repair it, and I crabbed the frame to install. A big job, but fairly easy to do. Later, I had to do the camshafts, followers, and valve springs, another recall that was necessary.

That's interesting. I hadn't come across a single plate clutch until a 2004 model.

It might have been 2004 model, John. I purchased two from Moto International early 2005. One was a 2003 & the other a 2004. I musta got them mixed up.

It might have been 2004 model, John. I purchased two from Moto International early 2005. One was a 2003 & the other a 2004. I musta got them mixed up.

You may not have mixed them up. Guzzi would throw in any parts available that would work. Good thing is they went back to the dual plate clutch. I think all the 8 valve models have the single plate though. They designed it like BMW so you don't have the hub gear and the plate acts directly on the input shaft of the gearbox. May have lowered production cost, but I wouldn't call it a design improvement.

Further to my earlier posts, my Cali Stone has now done 38,000 miles and is still going strong.
Also, there very little metal on the magnetic drain plug when doing oil changes, which I hope is a good sign.

Back