Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Cal 1100 Hydraulic Lifter Recall Info

Discussion in 'Loop & Tonti' started by GT-Rx®, Jun 20, 2014.

1. V700Steve

V700Steve High Miler GT di Razza Pura

No metal is a good sign. Success(maybe) even w/o scooter mother superior! You might have an exceptional bike that's oddball perfect w/old rockers and the rest newer stuff. I have never seen one built that way BUT who knows. Keep your paperwork about it & ride till it doesn't. Then peruse the issue w/proof they were wrong. Good Luck, glad it's working out.

2. Swordteacher

Swordteacher Just got it firing!

So my First Guzzi was an 03 cali- stone. It went tits up after I fell in love with it. I am replacing the motor as there are no rebuild kits to be found. Question: will an '01 or '02 motor fit the frame of the '03?

3. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Yes, any EV style engine will fit. Have you checked with Harper's Moto Guzzi for a kit?

4. vagrant

vagrant High Miler GT Contributor

What does it need? I can't imagine it not being able to be repaired.

5. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Yes, but I would highly recommend a 2006-11 Cal Vin/Black Eagle twin plug engine. Solid lifters and great clutch, but you'll also need the twin plug coils with it. Everything else should be plug and play.
    That said, I do have two ('03 & '04) complete hydraulic cam motors (latest cam updates) that I can sell. Write me direct if interested; Info at GuzziTech.com

john zibell likes this.
  6. Hydrolastic

Hydrolastic Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

I checked with Harper's. Kits are now $3000 from Piaggio. I have a feeling more bikes are going to get parted out, since that is the total value of most bikes of this vintage.

Dave

7. john zibell

That is crazy. I thought Guzzi was providing the kits and you would be on the hook for labor. That engine from Todd is probably looking pretty good right now.

8. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

They were. About 15 years or more ago. How long do you think they should support this issue for?

9. john zibell

They screwed up, they should continue to support fixing their error.

10. vagrant

somewhere in the last month it was reported that they still are but you need to find a real dealer to get the ball rolling.

john zibell likes this.
  11. Hydrolastic

Are you sure that's for the hydro cam, or the roller cam for the 8V engines?

Dave

12. vagrant

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  13. Hydrolastic

Darn - I really was holding out hope for a mystery link or updated tech bulletin somewhere that showed otherwise.

14. john zibell

It doesn't hurt to ask. You could try going direct to Guzzi in New York. Worth a try and it doesn't cost.

15. Bacongrease

Bacongrease Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

I called about the recall, the bike I purchased (2004 Stone) records showed it did not have the recall performed. I have no idea why not. The woman at Piaggo said the recall was only for 10 yrs, expired 2017.
    Anyway, she said there have been no issues of cam failure? ? ?