• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Cal 1100 Hydraulic Lifter Recall Info

No metal is a good sign. Success(maybe) even w/o scooter mother superior! You might have an exceptional bike that's oddball perfect w/old rockers and the rest newer stuff. I have never seen one built that way BUT who knows. Keep your paperwork about it & ride till it doesn't. Then peruse the issue w/proof they were wrong. Good Luck, glad it's working out.

So my First Guzzi was an 03 cali- stone. It went tits up after I fell in love with it. I am replacing the motor as there are no rebuild kits to be found. Question: will an '01 or '02 motor fit the frame of the '03?

So my First Guzzi was an 03 cali- stone. It went tits up after I fell in love with it. I am replacing the motor as there are no rebuild kits to be found. Question: will an '01 or '02 motor fit the frame of the '03?

Yes, any EV style engine will fit. Have you checked with Harper's Moto Guzzi for a kit?

Yes, but I would highly recommend a 2006-11 Cal Vin/Black Eagle twin plug engine. Solid lifters and great clutch, but you'll also need the twin plug coils with it. Everything else should be plug and play.
That said, I do have two ('03 & '04) complete hydraulic cam motors (latest cam updates) that I can sell. Write me direct if interested; Info at GuzziTech.com

Yes, any EV style engine will fit. Have you checked with Harper's Moto Guzzi for a kit?

I checked with Harper's. Kits are now $3000 from Piaggio. I have a feeling more bikes are going to get parted out, since that is the total value of most bikes of this vintage.

Dave

I checked with Harper's. Kits are now $3000 from Piaggio. I have a feeling more bikes are going to get parted out, since that is the total value of most bikes of this vintage.

Dave

That is crazy. I thought Guzzi was providing the kits and you would be on the hook for labor. That engine from Todd is probably looking pretty good right now.

Darn - I really was holding out hope for a mystery link or updated tech bulletin somewhere that showed otherwise.

I called about the recall, the bike I purchased (2004 Stone) records showed it did not have the recall performed. I have no idea why not. The woman at Piaggo said the recall was only for 10 yrs, expired 2017.
Anyway, she said there have been no issues of cam failure? ? ?

One more P.I. engine saved from the scrapyard. This definitely wasn't the easiest project I've done in order to get everything right. I suppose after I'd done one or two more it could be done more easily.

20210828 131403 20210830 210317 20210913 195711

I'll make a few notes for anyone else doing the job:

1 - get some large rubber bands to hold the followers up, those won't be with the tool kit, or will be rotten if they are. My wife happened to have a pack of them for the kitchen that worked perfectly.
2 - watch the key for the oil pump. It is square and comes off with the gear. Luckily mine landed right under the pump shaft.
3 - be careful of the front main seal when putting the cover on. I ended up rolling mine on the bottom causing a small leak. Better yet, order a replacement seal and just change it, since the original is almost 20 years old at this point.

20210828 121618 20210828 151529

My bike had 12,400 miles on it. The cam looked fine. Two of the followers were showing signs of stress, with the right intake valve being the worst, just starting to break up the case hardening (furthest to the left in the photo). It looks like Moto Guzzi changed from possibly a plated follower to maybe a moly steel one? The materials are definitely different, as are the total length.

20210828 164556 20210917 164306

Back