• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Cal 1400 Suspension Thread

Just placed an order with TORQUE RACING in the UK for the Matris fork and rear kit.
My California is the later rear suspension with hydraulic preload on one side only. (2017 1400 SE Nero Gentlmen!...what were they thinking)
All built to a cost ....I am afraid...with the worse option from the K fork manufacturers

I have previously fitted Matris to another one of my bikes (front and rear) and the difference is outstanding quality and suspension range.

Fitting them as soon as they clear UK Customs which will be a month or so..... now we have reverted to being in the 1970s!

Right....the man at the border with a gun and big dog stripped searched my parcel and stamped OK on the box.
They have arrived almost 8 weeks after ordering from Italy. I got the Matris non piggy back and the full cartridge bouncy kit for the 2017 tour California....it has panniers or saddlebags as you guys call them ....so limited rear shock space
Hope it all fits!

The standard rear shocks with remote preload (one shock only) will be used to darken a corner in the workshop.

Thank you, and am I to assume that the rear shocks for the Audace are the same as the Cali Custom? I don't see any specific references for the Audace rear?

This thread will track modifications and adjustments to the suspension for your Custom and Tour. Please feel free to post/share your findings and settings that work for you.

1400 Custom

SHOCKS

STOCK INFO:
Front travel: 120mm / 3 = 40mm target total sag
Rear travel: 110mm / 3 = 36.6mm target total sag

Stock Settings
Front
Sag: ?

Rear:
Sag: ?
Reb:

Notes:
My info: My weight is ~190 lbs in street clothing.
The ride is somewhat compliant over general smooth road surfaces, harsh/edged bumps are horrible. Bike sits through most of it's travel even with corrected preload. Feel when riding it in the sporty mindset, produces non-compliance and little damping. I've slid the front end at times as the rear brake lever comes in solid contact with the paving. Downright scary IMO for any Sport Touring with any significant load or rider over say 170 lbs.

1400 Tour

Thanks to Rudy below...
Rear Shocks:
Static (only): 28.5mm
Laden: ?
FORKS

View attachment 6964

Removal of the stock cartridge fork cap as shown below. Compression of the spring required to access:
Hi guys,

I installed the superb F15K Matris kit on my 1400 Cali tour 2017 for my fork .
Can someone tell me what are the values of travel, and SAG for a pilot of approximately 198 lbs .
Another question : when we talk about SAG, is it the bike on the wheels, with or without the rider , or do you take several measurements, in the air, on the wheels, with and without a pilot??
Many thanks in advance

Hello Vizir……were there no instructions with your kit?
Static sag is wheel and weight of the bike is just off the ground . Lower until the the tyre just touches….this is the first measurement
Then lower again until the wheel and tyre touching ground fully …with only the bike weight on it …but settled at rest= second measurement

Second from first is STATIC sag setting

repeat for rear then adjust preload to get the required millimetre setting front and rear

with the rider or pilot on bike (as the French say)…..measure again and this = third measurement
Third from second is rider sag……adjust preload to suit AND damping….it is a bit of compromise but worth the time

i can dig out the instructions from Matris but they set the rods/cartridges to suit the riders weight at their factory.

I hope that this helps

regards

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

Last edited:
Can someone tell me what are the values of travel, and SAG for a pilot of approximately 198 lbs .
Another question : when we talk about SAG, is it the bike on the wheels, with or without the rider , or do you take several measurements, in the air, on the wheels, with and without a pilot??
Many thanks in advance
Please see the first post of this thread and you MUST MUST MUST search and read a little. These repetitive questions have been answered here for well over a decade and a half. SEARCH. READ. PLEASE. Google will be of help as well.

Thank you Todd, I'v red the different posts, but I'v only seen the SAG concerning the 1400 Custom, but not for the touring, that is why my question is relevant, for me :) :) of course .

Last edited:
2014 Cali Custom - Wondering if anyone knows if we need the protective metal sleeve that goes between the upper and lower fork clamps. Can't get them off without removing the forks. If they were not there I could access the two bolts and slide the lower covers which would give me access to keep the seals better cleaned. Anyone know if they are more than cosmetic?

They are cosmetic. It's one of the first things I did with my 2013. But I did install some fork protectors. There is a thread on the subject. (Fork Protectors)

IMG 0074 IMG 0076

Thanks, I left the lowers on and did not reinstall the uppers. This will allow me to monitor / clean the seals. Much appreciated.
They are cosmetic. It's one of the first things I did with my 2013. But I did install some fork protectors. There is a thread on the subject. (Fork Protectors)

Hello……just back from a bit of an epic journey to Italy on the California 1400 and here are a couple of observations and requests.

The journey involved 3 alpine passes in the South Tyrol into Italy….Innsbruck Austria down to Bolzano Italy.
The general altitude about 10000 ft in Protestant or 3800 metres in Catholic.

There were lots of 1st 2nd and occasionally 3rd gear hairpins but mainly 1st and 2nd……on the wrong side (as far as I’m concerned) of the road……as we drive on the left.

My California has front and rear Matris and the forks handled everything okay but the bike wallowed on bumpy left handlers and felt to bottom out…not sure about this…maybe I was bottoming out!

Also the bike seemed very susceptible to road lines and surface changes. I know it’s not a Ducati and I checked pressures on the nearly new Bridgestones……but I am still a bit surprised that it handles as it does…..I became Captain Slow in the group I was with

Anyway, the question is….has anyone reset or altered the base settings on the Matris rear shocks and if so….could they indicate the setting they used….please.

Being big boned as my old granny used to say…I tip the scales at 17 stone wringing wet and add to this riding gear. 17 stone is approx 230 lbs or 108 kg.

Your input would be appreciated as I’m sure that the factory settings on the Matris…even if they has been set up for my weight need a bit of alteration

Thanks in advance

Wibbily Wobbily Gavin

On my 2018 Eldorado , I installed some replacement shocks . The stock lovely looking units were far beyond awful !
As it now sits , the bike sags a bit less than 1/4" when lifted off the side stand , when I sit on it (185lbs) it sags pretty
close to another 1/4" . That's with the springs on the lowest preload . The ride quality is very good to excellent and
even with 24000kms on the stock tires it exhibits nothing like a wallowing , actually it's quite stable in corners on the
Duffy Lake road here in B.C . The limiting factor is my fear of flying off the side of the mountains . I'm of the belief
this should be a good starting point and from there further fine tuning should be a pleasure . Peter

My California has front and rear Matris and the forks handled everything okay but the bike wallowed on bumpy left handlers and felt to bottom out…not sure about this…maybe I was bottoming out!
Hi Gavin, looks like you didn't purchase these from me, correct? Matris builds to my spec, which IMO is superior to what they deliver. Per the suspension thread here (that I've combined this with), be sure to check/set the sag, and make sure the damping is the same front to rear. I can't go into great depths on this here, so perhaps seek a local race shop that can set it up for you. Hope that helps.

Todd….you are correct…I purchased them from the dealer in the UK….before joining the GUZZITECH community.

Although…by now as you will be aware I have purchased everything from fueling kit, full exhaust, risers and lights from the GTM store…..so I’m not trying to do it on the cheap!

If it is possible could someone list the setting for the front and rear settings for the California Touring 1400…..that’s the Matris shocks without the piggy back

Much appreciated

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

Todd….you are correct…I purchased them from the dealer in the UK….before joining the GUZZITECH community.
Although…by now as you will be aware I have purchased everything...so I’m not trying to do it on the cheap!
If it is possible could someone list the setting for the front and rear settings for the California Touring 1400…..that’s the Matris shocks without the piggy back
Thanks, yes, point being I can’t be of help remotely here with it unless in person since it’s not my spec.
The first post here covers the sag info.

Does anyone know the difference in eye-to-eye length for the rear shocks on the Custom vs the Touring? Is the stroke also longer on the Custom?

Back