• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Cal Vintage ECU Problems

boptone1

Tuned and Synch'ed
I was wondering if any other Cal Vintage owners have had any issues with their bikes ECU? I spent 7 mos and 8000 miles trying to figure out why the bike would not run well. The dealer and I came to the conclusion that my particular ECU was bad - and with further conversation with Guzzi had to conclude that it might be systemic to this model. We suspect that the 02 sensor is responsible. I replaced the stock unit with one from a Titanium and the bike runs great for the first time. With over 1000K so far no indication of any downside.

Has anyone else experienced any ECU problems with this model - or any other issues?

I know we talked about this direct, but the Vintage shares the same ECU type with the Breva 750, and handfuls of other partial closed-loop Guzzis that were sold around the World (outside of the U.S.) for the last handfuls of years... with little to no issues that I have heard of, so I suspect yours to be a fairly isolated case. Interesting that a Hydra-Cali ECU worked just fine.

The next gen Power Commander, which is designed to handle all partial closed loop Guzzis, in the very near future. ;)

Yea, so far the Titanium ECU works OK. I was just wondering if others had issues. Also, I ended up posting twice since it was hard to find the complete forum format. It seems that one must go to "Show Latest Posts" to see the complete listing. Is this right? Thanks for the help.

My ECU completely failed on my 07 build California Classic. Not long after I bought the bike it began pinging, backfiring and popping on overrun followed by running on one cylinder under acceleration. One afternoon I was returning from a four hour ride and the bike began running extremely rich, running dry at only 180 ks!! My mechanic put the pc on my ECU to find it was running in totally the wrong section of the map? He reset it to standard with no more problems. A few months later the problem returned only much worse than before. I only just managed to get the bike to the mechanic before the ECU totally failed. There was no communication the the ECU at all when it was connected to the pc. I am about to have a WM15M C3 ECU fitted then re flashed which, I'm told, drops the O2 sensor out of the picture. I've seen some evidence that this works fine. The Stock ECU for my bike is WM15RC. Anyone know what the difference is? The label on the ECU reads it as for a California S?

Marc, no major difference between the 15RC and M outside of the 02-sensor input. I recommend being VERY careful in using other ECUs though unless you know what map is on it. Far too many times I've seen V11S or older a Cal 1100 ECUs used with no map changes, this is dangerous to the Cal Vin motor since it is dual-plugged and cam'ed differently. I can be of help with making sure you have the correct mapping and I do have a few extra ECU in stock at the moment. Contact me direct; Todd at GuzziTech.com

Were you running a stock map in your 15RC on the Calvin? In (partial) closed loop? Asking because in stock condition my 2011 Black Eagle was hardly rideable -- to my taste. Same on two stock Calvins I rode in the past. Once sorted out -- different bike.

One difference in the 15RC to the 15M, is that it holds separate versions of the main tables for the different hardware platforms the 15RC is used across -- the smallblocks and the bigblocks. When a15RC is used on the small block (like the dual-throttle body V7), the big block-related tables have no effect.

A 15M memory dump cannot be flashed directly onto 15RC. Also, on the Cal Vintage's 15RC map, the datapoints on the main tables are different, so you can't directly just cut and paste the tables across from a V11 15M, for instance. It IS, however, possible with a little creative editing, to transfer the needed data, once you either adjust the tables that define the main table scale/datapoints to match the other ECU, or interpolate the needed values from their neighbors in the V11 version.

People run 15M ECUs in their Calvins etc, with native V11 maps, despite the different needs in ignition timing due to dual-plugging. I tried this and bought a 15M ECU specifically for these experiments. My observation was as follows: my bike (Black Eagle) did run very well with a stock 2002 V11 map on the 15M ECU with one exception: cold start. It just would NOT come to life as quickly as with the 15RC ECU; took some starter spinning. I started looking at the maps and realized the above differences, so I started matching them. Among other things found out that the V11 map has TWO cold start enrichment tables. The 15RC big block portion of the map has only one. I suspect it is the second table that was the culprit; its use is unclear and the values don't hint at anything. I did match everything else (i think) except for this table. Never got to the bottom of it :) My Black Eagle runs absolute best with the modified/reflashed 15RC in the end.

Back