• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

C14 - Stop the moaning whale - Tip/Evap

Hello,
thanks for the tip , but I have question. Is this solution of Evap fuel system integrated into all Californias worldwide? I have Custom 2013 production of European market, so I am asking if it is worth to check.

Thank you guys.

Hello, thanks for the tip , but I have question. Is this solution of Evap fuel system integrated into all Californias worldwide? I have Custom 2013 production of European market, so I am asking if it is worth to check.
Thank you guys.
I believe this system is in place as a global requirement. You should be able to easily check and see if your bike has the hose (pipe) fitting and connection on step 8. Report back either way, as now I’d like to know as well.

Hi,
Checked it today, I didn't find any tip valve and that plug is also sealed with screw. I guess it's original solution, I don't expected to previous owner did this modification.

IMG 20200428 164113

Checked it today, I didn't find any tip valve and that plug is also sealed with screw. I guess it's original solution, I don't expected to previous owner did this modification.
Very good, thanks for the photo. You may still have the "tip-over" valve (step 7) that helps prevent fuel spills if the bike ever ends up on it's side. However, if you did, that typically goes to the evap canister under the battery. Not easy to check, but I would love to know what they do with the tank vent to bikes on your side of the world.

Well I searched for that tip over valve today I got tank lifted up, but did not find it and I am 95% sure is missing. There is only one piece hose under right side of tank. Is it possible to this bike has not that evap canister?

Well I searched for that tip over valve today I got tank lifted up, but did not find it and I am 95% sure is missing. There is only one piece hose under right side of tank. Is it possible to this bike has not that evap canister?
Sure sounds like it does not.

Rather late to this thread, but , what is done to the hose #2 after it's removed from the fitting?
Is it left as is or plugged ? Thanks for your replies . Peter

Hi Guys, I have read all (2 or maybe 3) threads on this, and I have to lift the tank later on to fit a Booster Plug (Yes I know it's not a remap, but it was only $130, and I just want to richen the mixture up when the bike is cold, because it pops and is generally a pain until closed loop takes over.

My question is really, do I have to remove the shiny metal cover around the gas cap/key. It seems to me (but no-one has mentioned it here) that, as the gas cap is in the tank (moveable) and the ignition switch is bolted to the frame and hence fixed, that the tank won't lift unless the cover is removed ?

I'm probably going to remove the spark plug cabers too because leaving them where they are looks to me like it's going to reduce the amount of lift I can get from the tank. Anyway any ideas welcome and thanks in advance. Best regards Paul

I didn’t post the question in this thread and I did search before posting. Someone moved my post here. Also who would have thought a post about tank ventilation, which is completely irrelevant to anyone outside of the US would have contained what I needed. Anyway have a good weekend and once again, thanks for your cheery response.

I didn’t post the question in this thread and I did search before posting. Someone moved my post here. Also who would have thought a post about tank ventilation, which is completely irrelevant to anyone outside of the US would have contained what I needed. Anyway have a good weekend and once again, thanks for your cheery response.
Hi Paul, I’m the owner of this site, and I moved your post here. Dave tends to call things based on what he sees, not knowing things that happen behind the scenes. Thanks for attempting to search the topic.
Not directed at you, but to all reading this... Per the paragraph in red above, far too often people want to be spoon fed information without even trying to look, and they are often unappreciative asshats on top of it. We can thank social media channels in large.
We can also put to rest the fact that all Guzzis are world bikes since Euro-4, meaning almost all bikes delivered have the same equipment, I have been told. Unless this has been previously removed by someone else, this and the Secondary Air Supply (SAS) will be in every 1400 delivered globally, starting ~2016 or so.
Hope you’ll add your info to our Registry, and also hope to see you post often.

Hi Paul, I’m the owner of this site, and I moved your post here. Dave tends to call things based on what he sees, not knowing things that happen behind the scenes. Thanks for attempting to search the topic.
Not directed at you, but to all reading this... Per the paragraph in red above, far too often people want to be spoon fed information without even trying to look, and they are often unappreciative asshats on top of it. We can thank social media channels in large.
We can also put to rest the fact that all Guzzis are world bikes since Euro-4, meaning almost all bikes delivered have the same equipment, I have been told. Unless this has been previously removed by someone else, this and the Secondary Air Supply (SAS) will be in every 1400 delivered globally, starting ~2016 or so.
Hope you’ll add your info to our Registry, and also hope to see you post often.
Thanks Todd for your considered reply, it’s most appreciated.

My bike is in the registry as I’ve owned it and been an avid user of this wonderful site for about 7 weeks. Your site has been invaluable to me. Thank you.

My bike’s a 5000 mile March 2014 UK Cali custom. It definitely doesn’t have the air pump. I know this because of a tragic series of events that ensued after my post was relocated :)

I thought the post had mysteriously vanished and because it wasn’t in the original place, I didn’t get any email responses. So despite the amazing help this thread would have been, I have just done the job blind, taking photos along the way to be able to help you guys, assuming I was some sort of pioneer!

Luckily, reading the thread now as instructed by Kiwi Dave, I didn’t make too many mistakes. My tank didn’t want to move very far rearward, I got about 20mm and it didn’t want to lift much at the back. I pulled it up hard against my better judgement and supported it using some wood. Then I managed what can only be described as gynaecology for about 2 hours until the damned connector snapped onto the air temp sensor.

After brief celebrations, I reversed everything and it’s back together. All I can add to this thread is that having a hand/vacuum pump to suck the gas from the tank was good because it’s amazing how much 8 litres of gas weighs! And I removed the injector cover on the right hand side because my fingers needed access. (They also could have used breaking to allow the flexibility needed!).

I didn’t do this, but two other things struck me. Why do Guzzi use Allen bolts with such small socket sizes!?! You have a 6mm bolt that takes a really small Allen key, so had they been tight or corroded in place, the keyway would have rounded out. And also the plenum chamber was covered in white aluminium oxide, it’s not important but it looked as if it was off a twenty year old bike.

Anyway I’ve done it and now, having rediscovered my post, I have found out how to do it. That’s the way things are in the new-normal.

Best regards from someone sleepless in the UK.

Folks, an update to post here. I had a 1400 in the shop today with 100 miles on it. On the line from the tip valve to the evap canister, the line had been pinched completely closed by the side peg plates, so the tank was not venting at all on this one. The bike lives in Las Vegas, so you might imagine what that produced for our new friend Ross. So, FYI, check yours if you are still struggling with tank venting issues, even if you do the first part of this thread. Pics below show position and an attempt to show how pinched.
0C3FAB64 2071 484D B08A 867BF6806682
C6611F13 3752 4C65 9E6F CE3BB9690323
C4BC74F4 F580 4189 B35C 2BC5013AE1AE

I have a kureg mini coffee maker that apparently is related to the Guzzi. At least it speaks the same language. Makes the exact same moaning sound as my Cali albeit at a lower volume.
Just find that funny. It goes on and on at about the same intervals and duration.

Hi new to the site. Geat info and of course I have had to use it to trouble shoot the new to me 2014 Cali Touring I bought a few weeks ago. I have had many of the symptoms described with the bike cutting out, poor throttle response (sometimes), hanging throttle issue and of course the moaning whale. My main problem is that intermittently the bike seem not to respond to the throttle, no acceleration then accelerates or sometimes just dies. Always starts up right again and sometimes goes for 50 ft before doing the same thing and sometimes goes for miles before doing the same thing. Does not seem to be temperature related. I have read thru all the posts (all 46 pages of threads!) to get some background and this weekend have just dived into taking the bike apart to check it out.

Got the battery out and the air filter/cover (what fun). I have read on one the of threads that airbox cover modification ( I assume for more air flow) is suggested but no specific as to what to do. Perhaps this is only suggested to use when using Todd's power commander and fueling setup?

Found about 1/4 cup of engine oil in the air box. Will need to investigate that and see if I am overfilled with oil (seems a common issue).

After going thru the moaning whale fix steps, came upon a couple of issues that hopefully someone can enlighten me on.
After lifting up the tank I cannot find the tip over valve nor any evidence of one being removed (i.e. join in a hose.
I did find a small diameter hose just above the right intake that was disconnected at a hose barb.
I really want to remove the tank to have a good look at the electrical and hose connections.
Does anybody have info as to how to remove the fuel line from the tank? I saw a thread re where someone had broken the red 90, degree plastic fitting from the fuel pump and i certainly want to avoid that! It looks like the connection is made at a grey plastic collar around the fuel line where it connects to the red plastic fitting. Is there a special tool or method to removing this connection?

Last edited:
Does anybody have info as to how to remove the fuel line from the tank? I saw a thread re where someone had broken the red 90, degree plastic fitting from the fuel pump and i certainly want to avoid that! It looks like the connection is made at a grey plastic collar around the fuel line where it connects to the red plastic fitting. Is there a special tool or method to removing this connection?

It all depends on how you hold your mouth, Basically you need to push the connectors together before attempting to pull the knurled ring back. When you finally get it apart, smear some vaseline or dielectric grease to aid the parting next time.

I did buy a set of tools for helping from Pep Boys (if my memory is still working -I know it ain't!) There's 3 tools a blue one for 8mm, green one for 10mm, and red for "special applications". I don't remember which one fitted and don't need to use them as my couplings now comply.

Last edited:
Kiwi Dave thanks for the info. I remember exactly the tools you are talking about having seen them at various auto parts stores. Also found a video on You Tube showing exactly what you said re pushing them together then pulling them apart. I think I will get the tools to help as it might be the first time they are taken apart and will definitely apply a little grease on reassembly.
I have got to get the tank off to really get a good look at the connections routing etc. it is baffling me why there is no tip over valve or evidence of it being removed. Also plan to remove the fuel filter and replace as I do not know how old it is. Will post what I find in case other are interested or just other data points.
BTW visited your fair city years ago when I lived in Sydney. Beautiful place. Fond memories of riding around Sydney on my BMW R80ST as well.

Just an update: Removed the tank and found the location of the tip over valve toward the front right corner as shown in the picture below (actually ws routed under the cross bar). From reading the post earlier I incorrectly thought the the tip over valve was toward the back of the tank. This pic should make it clear. for anyone else doing the mod. Had one other question, does anybody know what the hose marked 3 along the left rail is for? Mine was just there unattached and so far I have not found where is should attach. Thanks in advance. So far this site has been invaluable.

Noted 2014 CaL Touring under tank

Just an update: Removed the tank and found the location of the tip over valve toward the front right corner as shown in the picture below (actually ws routed under the cross bar). From reading the post earlier I incorrectly thought the the tip over valve was toward the back of the tank. This pic should make it clear. for anyone else doing the mod. Had one other question, does anybody know what the hose marked 3 along the left rail is for? Mine was just there unattached and so far I have not found where is should attach. Thanks in advance. So far this site has been invaluable.

Back